CALL TO ACTION: SB905

Discussions about relevant bills filed and their status.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

mgood
Posts in topic: 10

Re: CALL TO ACTION: SB905

Post by mgood »

blue wrote:goose.. gander..

Do we disregard if we are NOT on 3rd renewal yet? (Semi serious)

--FLUSH the abomination. PERIOD!
An all-or-nothing approach is not going to win us much.
By getting more and more CHLs into more and more places, allows us to demonstrate that we are not a threat to the public safety. That allows us to take more and more territory.
Eventually I'd like to see any adult who can legally own a firearm be able to legally carry those firearms, concealed or openly, with no need for a government issued license, just about anywhere a LEO may carry his firearms. But that ain't gonna happen this session. Baby steps will get us there.

A-R
Posts in topic: 4

Post by A-R »

Folks, just THINK of the political ramifications of this for all those Senators who originally voted FOR the bill but now may want to vote AGAINST this amendment? Try explaining that one to your constituents. It's one thing to say you voted for SB905 but against SB354 or SB321 because while they're all gun-related they are separate bills. But how would someone like Hinojosa defend voting FOR SB905 but against this amendment? This is one of those game-changing amendments that is going to force some legislators to think very hard and could wake up the sleeping lemmings who are middle of the road on this issue - like the mainstream media.

Perhaps I'm being a bit naive, but anyone who voted for SB 905 and then votes against this amendment should be lambasted by more than just us "gun nuts".
COMMITTEEiiSUBSTITUTE
SENATE BILL 905 ON SECOND READING
Senator Patrick moved to suspend the regular order of business to take up for
consideration CSSBi905 at this time on its second reading:
CSSB 905, Relating to the application of certain concealed handgun license laws
to statewide elected officials, certain current and former members of the legislature,
and certain federal and state employees.
The motion prevailed by the following vote:iiYeasi25, Naysi6.
Yeas:iiCarona, Deuell, Duncan, Eltife, Estes, Fraser, Gallegos, Harris, Hegar,
Hinojosa, Huffman, Jackson, Lucio, Nelson, Nichols, Patrick, Seliger, Shapiro, Uresti,
Van de Putte, Watson, West, Whitmire, Williams, Zaffirini.
Nays:iiBirdwell, Davis, Ellis, Ogden, Rodriguez, Wentworth.
The bill was read second time and was passed to engrossment by the following
vote:iiYeasi25, Naysi6.ii(Same as previous roll call)
COMMITTEEiiSUBSTITUTE
SENATE BILL 905 ON THIRD READING
Senator Patrick moved that Senate Rule 7.18 and the Constitutional Rule
requiring bills to be read on three several days be suspended and that CSSBi905 be
placed on its third reading and final passage.
Hinojosa, Huffman, Jackson, Lucio, Nelson, Nichols, Patrick, Seliger, Shapiro, Uresti,
VanideiPutte, Watson, West, Whitmire, Williams, Zaffirini
Monday, May 9, 2011 SENATE JOURNAL 2077
The bill was read third time and was passed by the following vote:iiYeasi25,
Naysi6.ii(Same as previous roll call)

Jasonw560
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Jasonw560 »

Not just that one, but the school board carry bill, as well.
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

CWOOD
Posts in topic: 3

Post by CWOOD »

PEOPLE, THIS IS A HUGE OPPORTUNITY If we fail to support this foot in the door opportunity, we do so at our own peril. There are a LOT of folks who could immediately benefit from this if it passes. Like the parking lot bill, it doesn't do everything for every one of us, but it does a lot for many of us without doing harm to any of us.
mgood wrote:

An all-or-nothing approach is not going to win us much.
By getting more and more CHLs into more and more places, allows us to demonstrate that we are not a threat to the public safety. That allows us to take more and more territory.
Eventually I'd like to see any adult who can legally own a firearm be able to legally carry those firearms, concealed or openly, with no need for a government issued license, just about anywhere a LEO may carry his firearms. But that ain't gonna happen this session. Baby steps will get us there.
As mgood said, the all or nothing approach will only get us a whole lot of 'nothing ' and a rare and tiny amount of 'all'. If we had taken that approach in 1995, we would still be behind California on this issue...as well as a lot of other states which have followed our lead on concealed carry.
terryg wrote:
hirundo82 wrote:

We get this through for anyone on their third renewal or later this time, and I bet next time we can get it down to anyone on their first renewal. It's like the current campus carry bill not covering private schools or teaching hospitals--it's not perfect, but it's a good starting point for future sessions.
I agree. I didn't mean to sound so negative - I was just wondering why they picked 3 - thats a lot of years.
Again, in the 1995 bill, if we had not accepted the carry restrictions in churches, govt. meetings, hospitals, and all the other locations, IT WOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN ENACTED. Again, we would still be behind California.

I would be willing to bet money, something I hold pretty dear, that the "3rd Renewal" provision was market tested and found to be the minimum which would be accepted by the other members. The members of House and Senate can say to themselves and any objecting constituents, and there will be some, and to the media that they were 'responsible' in that they limited their actions to include CHL'ers who have, for AT LEAST A DECADE, demonstrated a high level of responsibility with a concealed handgun. Being able to say something like this gives them the political cover which some of them will need.
austinrealtor wrote:Folks, just THINK of the political ramifications of this for all those Senators who originally voted FOR the bill but now may want to vote AGAINST this amendment? Try explaining that one to your constituents. It's one thing to say you voted for SB905 but against SB354 or SB321 because while they're all gun-related they are separate bills. But how would someone like Hinojosa defend voting FOR SB905 but against this amendment? This is one of those game-changing amendments that is going to force some legislators to think very hard and could wake up the sleeping lemmings who are middle of the road on this issue - like the mainstream media.

Perhaps I'm being a bit naive, but anyone who voted for SB 905 and then votes against this amendment should be lambasted by more than just us "gun nuts".
COMMITTEEiiSUBSTITUTE
SENATE BILL 905 ON SECOND READING
Senator Patrick moved to suspend the regular order of business to take up for
consideration CSSBi905 at this time on its second reading:
CSSB 905, Relating to the application of certain concealed handgun license laws
to statewide elected officials, certain current and former members of the legislature,
and certain federal and state employees.
Van de Putte, Watson, West, Whitmire, Williams, Zaffirini.
The bill was read second time and was passed to engrossment by the following
vote:iiYeasi25, Naysi6.ii(Same as previous roll call)
COMMITTEEiiSUBSTITUTE
SENATE BILL 905 ON THIRD READING
Senator Patrick moved that Senate Rule 7.18 and the Constitutional Rule
requiring bills to be read on three several days be suspended and that CSSBi905 be
placed on its third reading and final passage.
VanideiPutte, Watson, West, Whitmire, Williams, Zaffirini
Monday, May 9, 2011 SENATE JOURNAL 2077
The bill was read third time and was passed by the following vote:iiYeasi25,
Naysi6.ii(Same as previous roll call)
I think the number of Senators voting FOR it will actually increase with the amendment. Senators Birdwell and Wentworth actually voted against it BECAUSE of their principled stand that it should apply to everyone, and not just the specified officials. I admire that. Third renewal is not 'everyone' but it certainly is much more inclusive that the original.

Full Disclosure, if the amendment survives, I will benefit, however, I have two CHL daughters who will not, yet. So I do have skin in this game on both sides.

Support it now, get the foot in the door and we can extend it further later. This can be a sea change event.

Scheduled for a public hearing in House Criminal Jurisprudence Committee on Tuesday, 5-17-2011.

M2K
Posts in topic: 5

Post by M2K »

Well without sounding totally disagreeable, this amendment just makes the the original bill that much more unsavory. I for one am with Senators Birdwell and Wentworth on this one.

No where on my CHL license does it state “Trial issue until you prove yourself worthy”.

tbrown
Posts in topic: 2

Post by tbrown »

blue wrote:O.K. Then 3rd renewal for ALL, elected and peons.
:iagree: That's the honorable and ethical thing to do.
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

74novaman
Posts in topic: 5

Post by 74novaman »

Emailed support today. Fellas, I know it's not perfect but it's an incremental step towards what we want... Constitutional carry! :tiphat:
TANSTAAFL

mgood
Posts in topic: 10

Post by mgood »

74novaman wrote:Emailed support today. Fellas, I know it's not perfect but it's an incremental step towards what we want... Constitutional carry! :tiphat:
Yep. :iagree:

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 1

Post by chasfm11 »

tbrown wrote:
blue wrote:O.K. Then 3rd renewal for ALL, elected and peons.
:iagree: That's the honorable and ethical thing to do.
I'm not to my first renewal yet but I'm still in favor of this. Let's all do as Charles has asked and try to help our Representatives understand what we want. ANY CHL being covered by the bill makes it no longer an Elitist proposal in my view. Every incremental step that we take is a good one.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Paragrouper
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Paragrouper »

Done, via Fax. I'll call on Monday
DCC
"Beware the fury of of the patient man." ~John Dryden

JJVP
Posts in topic: 11

Post by JJVP »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:When SB905 comes to the House Floor, Rep. Kleinschmidt plans to offer an amendment that extends it provisions from just elected officials to all CHL's who are on their 3rd or later renewals. Some will ask why the amendment will not cover all CHLs, but I can't go into that now. It's going to be hard enough to fight off a point-of-order.

Please call your Representative and ask him/her to support any amendment to SB905 that is offered by Rep. Kleinschmidt and to oppose any amendments to the Kleinschmidt amendment that are not acceptable to the author (Kleinschmidt).

Thanks,
Chas.

House Members
I'm sorry Charles, but I can't support this bill at all unless they exempt ALL CHL's. I am getting tired of politicians making laws and then exempting themselves from them. That amendment is nothing more than a bone to keep us quiet. If they are planning to offer this amendment with the thought of maybe exempting all CHL's during the next session, then as far as I am concerned they can wait. I will not support anything else. All or NON. :mad5
2nd Amendment. America's Original Homeland Security.
Alcohol, Tobacco , Firearms. Who's Bringing the Chips?
No Guns. No Freedom. Know Guns. Know Freedom.

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

I'm really, really tired of all the special classes of people when it come to gun laws. This is just another example. :mad5

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

The bill, as it was originally written, was as wrong as could be. This amendment is a strong step towards making the bill acceptable. No, it is not the perfect answer, but it should point out the absurdity of the original bill without causing political fallout on other biulls we want. And it is a big step int he right direction. If this law passes, I can see next session amending it to the first renewal and then the following session making it all CHLs. And it is possible to make that timeline even faster. I trust Charles and the TSRA on the tactics of how to get what we want and I trust they have more knowledge of possible workings than I do.

But think about this. If we can get Kleinschmidt's amendment accepted, it would not be too hard to get an amendment to the amendment accepted also. I don't know if anyone is planning one or not, but whether the changes go through now or we have to wait two years, I see this bill with the proposed amendment as the vehicle to get all CHLs the same carry as police officers and retired officers. And I see that as a major step towards constitutional carry.

I will call my representative (and the few I do know personally besides) to get this amendment supported.
Steve Rothstein

Jasonw560
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Jasonw560 »

Rumor is there's going to be a special session for the budget. I wonder what else Gov. Perry will allow in the session.
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

A-R
Posts in topic: 4

Post by A-R »

Jasonw560 wrote:Rumor is there's going to be a special session for the budget. I wonder what else Gov. Perry will allow in the session.
Been wondering about this possibility myself.

Return to “2011 Texas Legislative Session”