CALL TO ACTION: SB905

Discussions about relevant bills filed and their status.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

hirundo82
Posts in topic: 13

Re: CALL TO ACTION: SB905

Post by hirundo82 »

OK, so the version of SB905 from the second committee meeting (at least I think it is from the second meeting) is up, and it includes legislators and statewide elected officials like in the engrossed Senate version. I guess the legislators really want their special treatment.

SB905 has also been recommended for the Local and Uncontested Calendar. Am I correct in my recollection that that precludes attempts to amend the bill on the House floor?
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." Barack Obama, 12/20/2007

Jasonw560
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Jasonw560 »

So, if it makes to a vote, will Kleinschmidt still offer his amendment? Or is it gutted to much?
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

hirundo82

Post by hirundo82 »

Jasonw560 wrote:So, if it makes to a vote, will Kleinschmidt still offer his amendment? Or is it gutted to much?
I'm not sure it would be considered germane, judging from what Charles was saying in the SB1581 thread.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." Barack Obama, 12/20/2007

Paragrouper
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Paragrouper »

Jasonw560 wrote:So, if it makes to a vote, will Kleinschmidt still offer his amendment? Or is it gutted to much?
Good questions.
DCC
"Beware the fury of of the patient man." ~John Dryden

Jasonw560

Post by Jasonw560 »

hirundo82 wrote:
I'm not sure it would be considered germane, judging from what Charles was saying in the SB1581 thread.
Kind of like a smoking ban in a fiscal bill?

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

Paragrouper

Post by Paragrouper »

Jasonw560 wrote:
hirundo82 wrote:

Yep, kind of like that!

it's funny, I'm sitting here going through the mail and I just got a letter from the Texas GOP asking for money. What do you think?

a. Send them some money?
b. Send them a note to inform them that their request is not germane to my desires?
DCC
"Beware the fury of of the patient man." ~John Dryden

apostate
Posts in topic: 3

Post by apostate »

Paragrouper wrote:
Jasonw560 wrote:
hirundo82 wrote:

Yep, kind of like that!

it's funny, I'm sitting here going through the mail and I just got a letter from the Texas GOP asking for money. What do you think?

a. Send them some money?
b. Send them a note to inform them that their request is not germane to my desires?
In all honesty, I would write back and tell them I can't support the Texas GOP with time or money after what House Speaker Straus did to campus carry. I would also tell them not to contact me again until they put the needs of students ahead of the needs of criminals.

I wouldn't bother telling them I'm thinking of changing my voter registration, after being stabbed in the back again (but I am.)

Coogan
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Coogan »

Since it is on the Local and Consent calendar, I don't think any amendments can be offered. Someone would have to talk for 10 minutes when it is brought up in the House, which would kill it from the Local and Consent calendar, and it would have to go back to calendars to be rescheduled. At least, I think this is how it would work.

I am a little in disbelief that they re-added the part about the legislator's exemptions. I looked at the House web site for video of the proceedings on May 19th, but it hasn't been posted yet, and it may not be posted if it was done as an informal meeting.

I know politics is crooked, but this is really crooked. This one bothers me.

Oh, and the smoking ban being germane to the fiscal bill, that bothers me too.

hirundo82

Post by hirundo82 »

Coogan wrote:Since it is on the Local and Consent calendar, I don't think any amendments can be offered. Someone would have to talk for 10 minutes when it is brought up in the House, which would kill it from the Local and Consent calendar, and it would have to go back to calendars to be rescheduled. At least, I think this is how it would work.
Either that, or find 5 representatives to stand in opposition:
House Rule 6, Section 14.
Procedure for Consideration of Local, Consent, and
Resolutions Calendars — During the consideration of a local, consent, and
resolutions calendar set by the Committee on Local and Consent Calendars the
following procedures shall be observed:
(1) The chair shall allow the sponsor of each bill or resolution three
minutes to explain the measure, and the time shall not be extended except by
unanimous consent of the house. This rule shall have precedence over all other
rules limiting time for debate.
(2) If it develops that any bill or resolution on a local, consent, and
resolutions calendar is to be contested on the fl oor of the house, the chair shall
withdraw the bill or resolution from further consideration and remove it from
the calendar.
(3) Any bill or resolution on a local, consent, and resolutions calendar
shall be considered contested if notice is given by fi ve or more members that
they intend to oppose the bill or resolution, either by a raising of hands or the
delivery of written notice to the chair.
(4) Any bill or resolution on a local, consent, and resolutions calendar
shall be considered contested if debate exceeds 10 minutes. The chair shall
strictly enforce this time limit and automatically withdraw the bill from further
consideration if the time limit herein imposed is exceeded.

(5) Any bill or resolution on a local, consent, and resolutions calendar
that is not reached for floor consideration because of the expiration of the
calendar day period for consideration established by Section 13 of this rule
shall carry over onto the next local, consent, and resolutions calendar. Bills
or resolutions that carry over must appear in the same relative order as on
the calendar on which the bills or resolutions initially appeared, and bills or
resolutions originally from older calendars must appear before those originally
from more recent calendars.

artx
Posts in topic: 5

Post by artx »

Has someone seen SB 905 on Local and Uncontested calender itself? The status from the website shows that the house committee recommended it for the calendar -but that calendar's committee hasn't placed it yet (Usually says 'considered in calendars' when it is actually considered, and "placed on 'blah calendar" when actually added to a calendar)

JJVP
Posts in topic: 11

Post by JJVP »

If SB905 ends up passing, I would suggest we start a campaign of letters, faxes, emails and calls to Perry indicating our wish that he vetoes the bill. :nono:
2nd Amendment. America's Original Homeland Security.
Alcohol, Tobacco , Firearms. Who's Bringing the Chips?
No Guns. No Freedom. Know Guns. Know Freedom.

OCD
Posts in topic: 3

Post by OCD »

JJVP wrote:If SB905 ends up passing, I would suggest we start a campaign of letters, faxes, emails and calls to Perry indicating our wish that he vetoes the bill. :nono:
I agree. I also hope the Campus Republicans at A&M campaign against Ogden for his work to deny students civil rights on campus.
Open Carry Dog

TexasBill

Post by TexasBill »

SB905 isn't on the Local and Uncontested Calendar for today (May 24). I don't know if that means it hasn't yet been scheduled or if five representatives have indicated they oppose it, which would prevent it being added to the LUC.
A government truly of the people, by the people and for the people has no need to disarm the people.

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RPB »

A tweet I read yesterday said committee removed all TX Legislators from the bill ... so it only allows like Federal Judges now. Committee decided, as Birdwell put it ... not to feed the TX Generals before the TX Soldiers I think.

We'll see what happens.

Nope I didn't see it on any of today or tomorrow's calendars, but 2 "gun bills" are tomorrow/s Senate Local Calendar

HB 25 boats and the CHL with a foster child bill
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Jasonw560

Post by Jasonw560 »

RPB wrote:A tweet I read yesterday said committee removed all TX Legislators from the bill ... so it only allows like Federal Judges now. Committee decided, as Birdwell put it ... not to feed the TX Generals before the TX Soldiers I think.

We'll see what happens.

Nope I didn't see it on any of today or tomorrow's calendars, but 2 "gun bills" are tomorrow/s Senate Local Calendar

HB 25 boats and the CHL with a foster child bill
Maybe they decided to table it since it didn't include them.

Since the boats and foster child bills are on the local calendars, they should pass.

Ironic, since they're saying people can have guns in cars and boats around kids, but not on campuses around adults.

Return to “2011 Texas Legislative Session”