My letter to USAA with the passage of SB321

Discussions about relevant bills filed and their status.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
OldCannon
Posts in topic: 4

My letter to USAA with the passage of SB321

Post by OldCannon »

I know this has been mentioned on other threads, but I wanted to post a letter I sent to USAA today:
With the end of the 2011 Texas legislative session, I have come to a crossroads on a situation that has vexed me for a long time: USAA's continued executive hostility to fundamental second amendment rights granted to Texans. Anti-concealed-carry 30.06 signs in banking areas and aggressive lobbying against the now-passed Parking Lot Bill (SB321) continues to remind me that USAA, at least at the executive level, distrusts their customers who fight, or have fought, so hard to protect the fundamental freedoms granted to us by the US Constitution and the Texas Constitution.

It would be remiss of me to "cancel everything" with USAA and go somewhere else right now. I am practical and disinclined to spiteful acts, but I have come to know who you, as a corporation, really are. Thus, with my complete understanding of your position toward what I fought so hard for, our relationship has officially moved into our sunset years. Little by little, I will seek competing services from other institutions, even if it might cost me a little more. I cannot stand the thought that part of my service fees supported active lobbying _against_ something that I consider the bedrock of what I fought for.

USAA enjoys enormous success with existing and prior military servicemembers, I have no doubt that my exit from your insurance, banking, and loan services will have no impact to you financially. However, I intend to make sure those I come into contact with are aware of the very pointed decisions the USAA executive staff have made. Not so much as to encourage boycott, but to remind each and every USAA member (or potential member) about USAA's hostile position toward what their very customers (and future customers) swore on oath to defend.

I would be delighted if USAA were to rescind their policies and apologize for taking such an active stance against their customers, but USAA's actions have been willful and deliberate for years. I know I cannot change USAA, but I can at least educate others who might be unaware of your policies.

Thank you for taking the time to read my letter,
David Weller
US Veteran
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

AEA
Posts in topic: 2

Re: My letter to USAA with the passage of SB321

Post by AEA »

Good job!

I am a Vet and just checked them for auto liability a few days ago and turned out it would be a few dollars more than what I am paying State Farm now. So, I did not purchase.

Now, knowing what you have posted, I will NEVER use them.
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

sugar land dave
Posts in topic: 1

Post by sugar land dave »

Thanks for making me aware of this.
DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member

Topic author
OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

Poor USAA. My letter has showed up on their Facebook "fan" page as well. Social networking at it's finest :cool:

AEA
Posts in topic: 2

Post by AEA »

No doubt it won't be there long. Maybe till Monday! :smilelol5:
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Reposted to 20,000 of my closest Military friends.. And now that I'm back at work in Afghanistan, perhaps it will find it's way to another 30,000 people I "speak with" daily... :biggrinjester:
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

Topic author
OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

USAA already responded to my letter, demonstrating that they continue to not grasp WHY the Parking Lot law was promoted in the first place:
1) They frame the conversation as CARRYING a concealed handgun on an already policed/patrolled campus
2) Their argument is all about safety on their premises, NOT going to and from it.

They fail in ways that border on "colossally ignorant," AND they used money from USAA customers to lobby these red herrings in the Texas Legislature.

Dear Mr. Weller,

Thank you for your e-mail inquiry regarding USAA's stance on carrying a concealed handgun on the USAA campus.

USAA believes we can promote a safer workplace if weapons are not stored on USAA property. Moreover, USAA believes that our current policy provides a safe, secure, and professional work environment for employees, visitors, vendors, and non-USAA workers. We have examined this policy thoroughly, and we consider it to be appropriate.
Thank you,
Pat Carrion
USAA

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

lkd wrote:USAA already responded to my letter, demonstrating that they continue to not grasp WHY the Parking Lot law was promoted in the first place:
1) They frame the conversation as CARRYING a concealed handgun on an already policed/patrolled campus
2) Their argument is all about safety on their premises, NOT going to and from it.

They fail in ways that border on "colossally ignorant," AND they used money from USAA customers to lobby these red herrings in the Texas Legislature.

Dear Mr. Weller,

Thank you for your e-mail inquiry regarding USAA's stance on carrying a concealed handgun on the USAA campus.

USAA believes we can promote a safer workplace if weapons are not stored on USAA property. Moreover, USAA believes that our current policy provides a safe, secure, and professional work environment for employees, visitors, vendors, and non-USAA workers. We have examined this policy thoroughly, and we consider it to be appropriate.
Thank you,
Pat Carrion
USAA
So USAA's attitude has not changed and they are unwilling to reconsider. Time to just leave them in the lurch.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

I have only been with USAA for insurance for about two years. I really liked their prices (about $1000/yr less than Geico with teen-age drivers). But, I just got a quote from AAA that is significantly lower. They did have a little problem with the quote (not charging for an accident on my wife's record) but if they are still as cheap when I correct that, USAA just lost another customer.
Steve Rothstein

tacticool

Post by tacticool »

SB321 only applies to employees. It doesn't apply to "members" or other types of customers.
When in doubt
Vote them out!

Topic author
OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

tacticool wrote:SB321 only applies to employees. It doesn't apply to "members" or other types of customers.
Not, apparently, in USAA's "thoroughly" considered point of view.

PracticalTactical

Post by PracticalTactical »

I like them, and conduct all business with them over the phone, net or at other bank's ATM machines.

I will, however, write them a letter of disapproval on the topic. My grandfather didn't freeze his feet during the battle of the bulge to support this kind of behavior.

rp_photo

Post by rp_photo »

"USAA believes we can promote a safer workplace if weapons are not stored on USAA property."

I'd love to know their magic method of making sure that criminals and the disgruntled also abide.
CHL since 2/2011
Glock 26, S&W 442, Ruger SP101 .357 3",
S&W M&P 40, Remington 870 Express 12 ga 18"

SlickTX

Post by SlickTX »

rp_photo wrote:"USAA believes we can promote a safer workplace if weapons are not stored on USAA property."

I'd love to know their magic method of making sure that criminals and the disgruntled also abide.

The "believes we can promote" is a far cry from "know we can provide" and is very telling of their mind-set. If we all could just sit back and dream and believe we can have a world worth living in. Let's live in the possible instead of the actual. Puuuleeease.
[Insert pithy witicism here]

Proudly carrying since 09/10.

Steve M

Post by Steve M »

USAA is a great financial company, BUT, it's run by the same former Generals who don't trust soldiers with CHLs to carry on post, even in the face of the "Traitor Hasan" Fort Hood Massacre and other "mad shooter" tragedies.

I want my bank to be "risk adverse" when it comes to my money, but when it comes to my safety in their facility their "we don't trust you with guns" mindset is unforgivable.

Return to “2011 Texas Legislative Session”