Let's Really Protect Our Schools

Education & Advocacy. Join today, it's free!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

User avatar

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 9
Posts: 17083
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:31 pm
Location: Friendswood, TX
Contact:

Let's Really Protect Our Schools

#1

Post by Charles L. Cotton » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:24 pm

Re-published with permission from http://www.TexasFirearmsCoalition.com. Permission is granted to republish without editing.

Although I have been in the political and legislative arenas for almost all of my adult life, I am not going to get into politics while parents and other family members are grieving as a result of a mass-murderer in Florida. People who know me will find this statement unusual, but I don’t care one whit about politics, political parties, or left v. right. I don’t want to merely make a point, I want to make a difference. I want to change Texas law so that schools can tap into a giant reserve of experience and talent to protect our kids in school. The cost to schools will be little or nothing, so budget constraints will not be a factor.
In 2017, we changed Texas law to exempt volunteer church security personal from the Texas Private Security Act. This much-needed change allows people to volunteer to serve on their church’s safety team without fear of violating the law. Volunteers who have a Texas License to Carry a Handgun (LTC) can also carry their self-defense sidearms while serving. Thousands of church members are now serving their congregation at no charge making churches much safer than they were prior to September 1, 2017.

Schools should have the same ability to utilize volunteer security personal to help protect our kids. There are many tens of thousands of military veterans and former peace officers who would be willing, no eager, to serve their community and schools by volunteering their experience and expertise to protect schools. Appropriate background checks would be performed on all volunteers and the Legislature could even require such volunteers to have a Texas LTC.

Volunteers who are not military veterans or former peace officers should also be able to serve as volunteers. The Legislature could require these men and women to successfully pass the Texas School Safety Course created by the Texas Dept. of Public Safety in order to serve. (Only LTCs are eligible to take the School Safety Course and receive a certificate.)
I will draft a bill for the 2019 Texas Legislative Session that will accomplish this goal. The only opposition to the volunteer church security bill came from the security industry. Their motive was clear; they wanted to preserve an income stream. The “concerns” about training was merely a smoke screen for their true goal of protecting the industry’s income. We will likely see the same groundless claims raised against a volunteer school security bill, so Texans need to be ready to demand passage of this bill.

I will publish more information on http://www.TexasFirearmsCoalition.com as we get closer to pre-filing for the 2019 legislative session. Be ready to join in the campaign to pass legislation that will truly protect our school kids. As the old saying goes, talk is cheap; it’s time to make a difference.
Image


omegaman
Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:02 pm
Location: Corpus Christi, TX

Re: Let's Really Protect Our Schools

#2

Post by omegaman » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:38 pm

Thank you Charles.

User avatar

TexasJohnBoy
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1915
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:21 pm
Location: North Texas

Re: Let's Really Protect Our Schools

#3

Post by TexasJohnBoy » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:28 pm

Would community colleges and/or universities be mentioned in your proposed bill at all?

ETA: I 100% completely support this. I would love to see more of this mentality: http://www.fox4news.com/news/south-flor ... ff-faculty
Every LTC holder should be empowered to stop these types of heinous acts if they want to take on the responsibility.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

User avatar

oljames3
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 1642
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:21 pm
Location: Elgin, Texas
Contact:

Re: Let's Really Protect Our Schools

#4

Post by oljames3 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:39 pm

I am with you, Charles, and ready "to join in the campaign to pass legislation that will truly protect our school kids." I have my School Safety Certification from the DPS. This is a difference I can make.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA Distinguished Life Member (Disabled Vet), TSRA, NAR L1


rotor
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 2883
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:26 pm

Re: Let's Really Protect Our Schools

#5

Post by rotor » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:42 pm

FYI, although I had 8 years of active duty in the USAF I never once had any training in firearms or ever touched a military weapon. The closest I came to weapon training was watching an AR-15 shot at a watermelon. All firearm use that I had was on my own. The concept that military service and firearm training go hand in hand is not correct. Otherwise your project sounds great.


clarionite
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 572
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:09 pm

Re: Let's Really Protect Our Schools

#6

Post by clarionite » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:47 pm

rotor wrote:FYI, although I had 8 years of active duty in the USAF I never once had any training in firearms or ever touched a military weapon. The closest I came to weapon training was watching an AR-15 shot at a watermelon. All firearm use that I had was on my own. The concept that military service and firearm training go hand in hand is not correct. Otherwise your project sounds great.
How did you go through Basic and not fire a military weapon? I went through Army basic and fired Rifles, threw grenades and fired AT4 trainers.
I have two kids in the USAF currently, and they both qualified with rifles. My daughter was excited to have made expert, told me I trained her well. She was the only one in her group that did. I told her she was probably the only one in her group that owned her own, so it was to be expected. Although hers has very non standard issue Pink furniture. ;)


bblhd672
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 3725
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:43 am
Location: TX

Re: Let's Really Protect Our Schools

#7

Post by bblhd672 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:23 pm

Well said Charles.

The Texas Rifle Association should pose this question to all legislators, whether they are up for re-election or not.


rotor
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 2883
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:26 pm

Re: Let's Really Protect Our Schools

#8

Post by rotor » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:38 pm

clarionite wrote:
rotor wrote:FYI, although I had 8 years of active duty in the USAF I never once had any training in firearms or ever touched a military weapon. The closest I came to weapon training was watching an AR-15 shot at a watermelon. All firearm use that I had was on my own. The concept that military service and firearm training go hand in hand is not correct. Otherwise your project sounds great.
How did you go through Basic and not fire a military weapon? I went through Army basic and fired Rifles, threw grenades and fired AT4 trainers.
I have two kids in the USAF currently, and they both qualified with rifles. My daughter was excited to have made expert, told me I trained her well. She was the only one in her group that did. I told her she was probably the only one in her group that owned her own, so it was to be expected. Although hers has very non standard issue Pink furniture. ;)
Spent 2 weeks at Sheppard. They let us observe an enlisted man hold an AR-15 to his chin, shoot a watermelon which exploded, and that one single round was my total experience with firearms in the service. I had my own firearms of course. The point is that just because you are a veteran does not mean you know anything about firearms. I am also an experienced pilot with multiple ratings but never once went up in a military plane. I wish that i could have played with all of the toys but never did.


Soccerdad1995
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 3440
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:03 pm

Re: Let's Really Protect Our Schools

#9

Post by Soccerdad1995 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:42 pm

rotor wrote:
clarionite wrote:
rotor wrote:FYI, although I had 8 years of active duty in the USAF I never once had any training in firearms or ever touched a military weapon. The closest I came to weapon training was watching an AR-15 shot at a watermelon. All firearm use that I had was on my own. The concept that military service and firearm training go hand in hand is not correct. Otherwise your project sounds great.
How did you go through Basic and not fire a military weapon? I went through Army basic and fired Rifles, threw grenades and fired AT4 trainers.
I have two kids in the USAF currently, and they both qualified with rifles. My daughter was excited to have made expert, told me I trained her well. She was the only one in her group that did. I told her she was probably the only one in her group that owned her own, so it was to be expected. Although hers has very non standard issue Pink furniture. ;)
Spent 2 weeks at Sheppard. They let us observe an enlisted man hold an AR-15 to his chin, shoot a watermelon which exploded, and that one single round was my total experience with firearms in the service. I had my own firearms of course. The point is that just because you are a veteran does not mean you know anything about firearms. I am also an experienced pilot with multiple ratings but never once went up in a military plane. I wish that i could have played with all of the toys but never did.
Maybe we should limit the "veteran" part to just Army and Marines and not necessarily include other non-combat branches. FWIW, my brother told me that he never fired a weapon of any kind during his time in Navy basic training, either.
Ding dong, the witch is dead

User avatar

anygunanywhere
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 6904
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:16 am
Location: La Grange, Texas

Re: Let's Really Protect Our Schools

#10

Post by anygunanywhere » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:52 pm

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
rotor wrote:
clarionite wrote:
rotor wrote:FYI, although I had 8 years of active duty in the USAF I never once had any training in firearms or ever touched a military weapon. The closest I came to weapon training was watching an AR-15 shot at a watermelon. All firearm use that I had was on my own. The concept that military service and firearm training go hand in hand is not correct. Otherwise your project sounds great.
How did you go through Basic and not fire a military weapon? I went through Army basic and fired Rifles, threw grenades and fired AT4 trainers.
I have two kids in the USAF currently, and they both qualified with rifles. My daughter was excited to have made expert, told me I trained her well. She was the only one in her group that did. I told her she was probably the only one in her group that owned her own, so it was to be expected. Although hers has very non standard issue Pink furniture. ;)
Spent 2 weeks at Sheppard. They let us observe an enlisted man hold an AR-15 to his chin, shoot a watermelon which exploded, and that one single round was my total experience with firearms in the service. I had my own firearms of course. The point is that just because you are a veteran does not mean you know anything about firearms. I am also an experienced pilot with multiple ratings but never once went up in a military plane. I wish that i could have played with all of the toys but never did.
Maybe we should limit the "veteran" part to just Army and Marines and not necessarily include other non-combat branches. FWIW, my brother told me that he never fired a weapon of any kind during his time in Navy basic training, either.
I was never in combat like a marine or soldier, but did go head to head with a soviet submarine during the cold war.

I did annually qualify with the M-14 rifle and 1911 pistol in order to qualify as topside security, ship's rifleman, and NUCLEAR WEAPON SECURITY GUARD. If the Navy trusted me enough to provide security for nuclear weapons I'm pretty certain I can protect kids. Your blanket statement needs to be withdrawn because there were plenty of Army and Marines who never saw combat much less were as proficient with weapons as a lot of sailors and airmen. Stop painting with such a broad brush.
1911s should be carried openly as God and John Moses Browning (PBUH) intended them to be.
III%


bblhd672
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 3725
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:43 am
Location: TX

Re: Let's Really Protect Our Schools

#11

Post by bblhd672 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:57 pm

anygunanywhere wrote:I was never in combat, but I did annually qualify with the M-14 rifle and 1911 pistol in order to qualify as topside security, ship's rifleman, and NUCLEAR WEAPON SECURITY GUARD. If the Navy trusted me enough to provide security for nuclear weapons I'm pretty certain I can protect kids. Your blanket statement needs to be withdrawn because there were plenty of Army and Marines who never saw combat much less were as proficient with weapons as a lot of sailors and airmen. Stop painting with such a broad brush.
Same here, qualified with M-14 and 1911o qualify as topside security, boat's rifleman, and nuke guard. Even qualified Marksman with the M-14, one of only 2 others on the boat who achieved more than just qualified with the rifle.


Soccerdad1995
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 3440
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:03 pm

Re: Let's Really Protect Our Schools

#12

Post by Soccerdad1995 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:02 pm

anygunanywhere wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:
rotor wrote:
clarionite wrote:
rotor wrote:FYI, although I had 8 years of active duty in the USAF I never once had any training in firearms or ever touched a military weapon. The closest I came to weapon training was watching an AR-15 shot at a watermelon. All firearm use that I had was on my own. The concept that military service and firearm training go hand in hand is not correct. Otherwise your project sounds great.
How did you go through Basic and not fire a military weapon? I went through Army basic and fired Rifles, threw grenades and fired AT4 trainers.
I have two kids in the USAF currently, and they both qualified with rifles. My daughter was excited to have made expert, told me I trained her well. She was the only one in her group that did. I told her she was probably the only one in her group that owned her own, so it was to be expected. Although hers has very non standard issue Pink furniture. ;)
Spent 2 weeks at Sheppard. They let us observe an enlisted man hold an AR-15 to his chin, shoot a watermelon which exploded, and that one single round was my total experience with firearms in the service. I had my own firearms of course. The point is that just because you are a veteran does not mean you know anything about firearms. I am also an experienced pilot with multiple ratings but never once went up in a military plane. I wish that i could have played with all of the toys but never did.
Maybe we should limit the "veteran" part to just Army and Marines and not necessarily include other non-combat branches. FWIW, my brother told me that he never fired a weapon of any kind during his time in Navy basic training, either.
I was never in combat like a marine or soldier, but did go head to head with a soviet submarine during the cold war.

I did annually qualify with the M-14 rifle and 1911 pistol in order to qualify as topside security, ship's rifleman, and NUCLEAR WEAPON SECURITY GUARD. If the Navy trusted me enough to provide security for nuclear weapons I'm pretty certain I can protect kids. Your blanket statement needs to be withdrawn because there were plenty of Army and Marines who never saw combat much less were as proficient with weapons as a lot of sailors and airmen. Stop painting with such a broad brush.
My comment was meant to be tongue in cheek and a bit of a jab at the other services, especially the "non-combat" part :boxing .

But there is some underlying truth regarding firearm familiarity. I was Army, and even our finance specialists went through Basic and qualified with M-16's as a minimum. They also learned the basics of first aid, communications, and tactical patrols. I was floored when my brother told me that he never touched a weapon during training. One advantage of the Army way of doing this is that if anyone tells you they were in the Army, you instantly know they received training on various things including how to operate and maintain a MSR. As you, yourself point out, for the other services this is not necessarily the case. So to the extent we think this should be a requirement, then we cannot blanket exempt all Air Force / Navy veterans like we could do for the Army, and I presume also the Marines.
Ding dong, the witch is dead


rotor
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 2883
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:26 pm

Re: Let's Really Protect Our Schools

#13

Post by rotor » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:06 pm

I can only relate to my military experience and I have no idea what other people have had with military firearms. I would have loved to have been able to shoot full auto guns, etc. I would have loved to fly in military planes and wish that I would have been able to control such planes. My closest was going into a C5 simulator with a pilot friend. I think completion of LTC course in my instance is better "proof" of proficiency than my military service. That is my experience and I can not speak for others.

User avatar

AJSully421
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1340
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:31 pm
Location: Benbrook / SW Fort Worth

Re: Let's Really Protect Our Schools

#14

Post by AJSully421 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:08 pm

I am a licensed Level 3 Commissioned Security Guard, Level 4 Personal Protection Officer (Body Guard) and the Executive Officer of a Security Company, and a LTC holder.

I say let's do it.

Whatever it takes... require retention holsters, not allow OC, require to pass a MMPI psych test like a Level 4 bodyguard has to, but let's open up law abiding citizens to be able to carry in all schools one way or another.

You might also add an exemption for a licensed Level 4 since they have done a psych eval already. Just a thought.
Last edited by AJSully421 on Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

User avatar

anygunanywhere
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 6904
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:16 am
Location: La Grange, Texas

Re: Let's Really Protect Our Schools

#15

Post by anygunanywhere » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:14 pm

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:
rotor wrote:
clarionite wrote:
rotor wrote:FYI, although I had 8 years of active duty in the USAF I never once had any training in firearms or ever touched a military weapon. The closest I came to weapon training was watching an AR-15 shot at a watermelon. All firearm use that I had was on my own. The concept that military service and firearm training go hand in hand is not correct. Otherwise your project sounds great.
How did you go through Basic and not fire a military weapon? I went through Army basic and fired Rifles, threw grenades and fired AT4 trainers.
I have two kids in the USAF currently, and they both qualified with rifles. My daughter was excited to have made expert, told me I trained her well. She was the only one in her group that did. I told her she was probably the only one in her group that owned her own, so it was to be expected. Although hers has very non standard issue Pink furniture. ;)
Spent 2 weeks at Sheppard. They let us observe an enlisted man hold an AR-15 to his chin, shoot a watermelon which exploded, and that one single round was my total experience with firearms in the service. I had my own firearms of course. The point is that just because you are a veteran does not mean you know anything about firearms. I am also an experienced pilot with multiple ratings but never once went up in a military plane. I wish that i could have played with all of the toys but never did.
Maybe we should limit the "veteran" part to just Army and Marines and not necessarily include other non-combat branches. FWIW, my brother told me that he never fired a weapon of any kind during his time in Navy basic training, either.
I was never in combat like a marine or soldier, but did go head to head with a soviet submarine during the cold war.

I did annually qualify with the M-14 rifle and 1911 pistol in order to qualify as topside security, ship's rifleman, and NUCLEAR WEAPON SECURITY GUARD. If the Navy trusted me enough to provide security for nuclear weapons I'm pretty certain I can protect kids. Your blanket statement needs to be withdrawn because there were plenty of Army and Marines who never saw combat much less were as proficient with weapons as a lot of sailors and airmen. Stop painting with such a broad brush.
My comment was meant to be tongue in cheek and a bit of a jab at the other services, especially the "non-combat" part :boxing .

But there is some underlying truth regarding firearm familiarity. I was Army, and even our finance specialists went through Basic and qualified with M-16's as a minimum. They also learned the basics of first aid, communications, and tactical patrols. I was floored when my brother told me that he never touched a weapon during training. One advantage of the Army way of doing this is that if anyone tells you they were in the Army, you instantly know they received training on various things including how to operate and maintain a MSR. As you, yourself point out, for the other services this is not necessarily the case. So to the extent we think this should be a requirement, then we cannot blanket exempt all Air Force / Navy veterans like we could do for the Army, and I presume also the Marines.
If you ever want to learn how to launch a MK48 torpedo and what all goes into torpedo fire control and target tracking and analysis, look me up. Not all "combat" is done on the ground.
1911s should be carried openly as God and John Moses Browning (PBUH) intended them to be.
III%

Post Reply

Return to “Texas Firearms Coalition”