Watching Ice Melt - YETI VS. WalMart

Items listed for over one month, or that were sold are listed here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
puma guy
Posts in topic: 7

Watching Ice Melt - YETI VS. WalMart

Post by puma guy »

Not exactly shooting related unless you consider staying hydrated on these blistering days important. I have been contemplating buying one of the new stainless steel tumblers everyone seems to have these days. All my kids have YETI brand and I being on a fixed income just couldn't justify 40 bucks on a vessel for my water. I have had Tervis tumblers for years and they are very good, but not as good as the YETI's. I ran across a couple of stainless tumblers in Wal-Mart that looked just like YETI's (and all the other expensive copy cats). The 20 oz is less than 8 bucks and the 30 oz is just under $10. Before I purchased one of them I perused the internet for comparison tests and I was impressed. One test lasted 50 hours and there was virtually no difference between the YETI and the Ozark trails brand carried by Wal-Mart. I bought both a 20 oz and a 30 oz tumbler and did a test for myself. One of my daughters left her 30 oz YETI that I used for the test. Not as scientific as some on the internet, but I put the same amount of ice in them and I could see no difference. So if you need a good, cheap, rugged stainless vacuum tumbler I can recommend the Wal-Mart Ozark Trails brand with no hesitation. :thumbs2:
They also have stainless steel koozie can keepers just like YETI for under 8 dollars.
Last edited by puma guy on Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

flowrie
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Watching Ice Melt - YETI VS. WalMart

Post by flowrie »

Thanks! I'll try that.
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

joe817
Posts in topic: 2

Post by joe817 »

Good info puma guy. I too can't justify the cost, so that's good news! Thanks!
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

philip964

Post by philip964 »

I was the king of foam cups until McDonald's raised their drink prices 20%.

I had an off brand SS cup I bought off Meh that worked great, but it was too tall for the 32 oz size and I had to steal special extra tall straws from fast food places.

I bought the Yeti cup and have been happy.

I feel by now I have saved more than triple the price by not going through the drivethru at McDonalds (plus its safer).

Glad to hear there is an alternative to Yeti when I eventually drive off with it on the roof of my car.

nyj

Post by nyj »

I have an Ozark trail 32oz. I feel like this whole tumbler thing is a new trend and kind of silly. Great for coffee, but I don't sip on any cold drink long enough to worry about it getting hot.

Dallashog

Post by Dallashog »

I was not willing to pay 40 dollars for a glass either but did break down and buy one from walmart last week. Soon after buying it my son came into town for a visit with his yeti cup and I did the same test. I filled both 30 oz glasses with ice and let them sit for 36 hours. At the end of the test they were both the same temperature and both poured off the same amount of water which was minimal. Really makes you wonder if they are not produced in the same plant.

DevilDawg

Post by DevilDawg »

I got one last week after watching some comparison videos. A buddy told me about the Ozark Trail being just as good for a 1/4 the price. I couldn't lose. Now I have another $7.51 in it to customize it. LOL.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Sport Coach

Post by Sport Coach »

Always pays to think for yourself and do some basic research!
“Hope is an expensive commodity. It makes better sense to be prepared.” - Thucydides

Take Down Sicko

Post by Take Down Sicko »

30.00 dollars !!! for a tumblers? That thing must be made o solid gold. If they fill it up full o johnny walker black label then i'd pay 30-40 dollars.

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

I ordered handles for mine from Ebay. You can getthe 20 oz or the 30 oz for about 4 dollars. They're probably available on Amazon, too.
Last edited by puma guy on Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 5

Post by carlson1 »

We have two Yeti's. Someone in the church have my wife one and me one. I can say they work good with ice, but not my wife's coffee. I would never pay that kind of price. Has anyone seen the price of their coolers? :eek6

rentz

Post by rentz »

carlson1 wrote:We have two Yeti's. Someone in the church have my wife one and me one. I can say they work good with ice, but not my wife's coffee. I would never pay that kind of price. Has anyone seen the price of their coolers? :eek6
The cooler prices are insane! A lot of the competition bbq cooks seem to use them, but my igloo works well enough for me for much much much less money

carlson1
Posts in topic: 5

Post by carlson1 »

I have an igloo for traveling. I would mind paying a little high of a price if the cooler was really fantastic, but $400.00 plus as you said is insane.

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

carlson1 wrote:I have an igloo for traveling. I would mind paying a little high of a price if the cooler was really fantastic, but $400.00 plus as you said is insane.
I've seen a couple of tests that showed the Coleman Extreme chests are great and the best bang for the buck.

Return to “Closed Items”