Watching Ice Melt - YETI VS. WalMart

Items listed for over one month, or that were sold are listed here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

carlson1
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Watching Ice Melt - YETI VS. WalMart

Post by carlson1 »

puma guy wrote:
carlson1 wrote:I have an igloo for traveling. I would mind paying a little high of a price if the cooler was really fantastic, but $400.00 plus as you said is insane.
I've seen a couple of tests that showed the Coleman Extreme chests are great and the best bang for the buck.
Thank you. I will hunt me one down. About two months ago I went out to Cabella's because I have a $100.00 gift card, but there was so many I could decide.

RedRaiderCHL
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RedRaiderCHL »

I bought a yeti 30oz tumbler on a whim when I was buying my last rifle at cabelas. They had just come out and were becoming more and more popular. I instantly fell in love with it. about 4 or 5 months later I found a company selling yetis that were powder coated and engraved with the logo of my alma mater. I have used that yeti since and I have loved it just as much if not more. My girlfriend was using my old yeti and she likes it around the house but she never wanted to take it anywhere because she thought she would leave it somewhere. So, we got her the $10 tumbler at walmart and let me tell you what boys.... woo.. that thing is just as good! If walmart would have had that as an option right at the beginning I would have gone with one of those!

Its all good though. they are all the same.. plus.. my yetis have given their moneys worth and more with as much as I have used them.
Know guns, know peace and safety. No guns, no peace nor safety.

FL450

Post by FL450 »

I ordered a 30oz RTIC tumbler from Amazon for $15 and did a comparison with my Yeti I was given.
Over almost 2 days with ice on the counter no difference. They look the same, the lids are swappable and the RTIC lid comes with a cutout for a straw for those that use one. Also closable lids available.
I love the sound smell of jet fuel in the morning.
Fat thumbs + IPhone = errors, please forgive.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

I have thermos and a 32oz immitation. Both are excellent. Vacum double walled feature is all that you care about when selecting one.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

txglock21

Post by txglock21 »

The problem was when the YETI's first came out, there was nothing comparable to them, so they could set their own price. Then the "knock offs" starting coming out and work just as well at a lower price. I bought my YETI when they were the only one's in town. I have gotten my money's worth out of it, but if I ever lose it or damage it, will go back with one of the lower priced ones out there. As for the ice chests, I purchased the Academy model of the YETI and love it. The price for the same size YETI was $500 and the Academy Magellian (sp?) was $200. I have heard that Walmart has the same size and type for about $100, that works just as well. I guess it pays to wait. :lol:: I do like the fact that YETI is a Texas company though. FWIW :txflag:
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

Not to mention that YETI sold out to a Chinese conglomerate a year or so ago...

When the family goes to the lake, folks bring the YETIs but everyone is fighting over who gets my Uncle Bobby's Budweiser cooler that he was given by one of his parts reps back I the 80s. That sucker keeps ice FOREVER! My uncle Just turned 82...lol
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I was in Costco the other day with my wife, and she was trying to understand why an Yeti cooler was worth $499. My words did not help her to understand. :mrgreen: :lol:
Last edited by The Annoyed Man on Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

We picked up a couple of the RTIC tumblers when we stopped in Buckies on a recent trip to Austin. When we got back, I borrowed my son's Yeti and tried the ice test. The RTIC actually fared about 4 hours better in holding ice. Then my wife picked up a couple of the Ozark Trails and we tested them with the RTIC. They were about the same.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

I love my Yeti, Tumbler, got it from Mrs. Jusme a couple of Christmases ago. That being said, if it should be left somewhere, or should grow legs, I will not spend that kind of money on another one, if there are other options. The same goes for their coolers, I don't own one, but I have a Coleman Max cooler that keeps ice for a long time when I have been at Boy Scout summer camp, and I can't imagine the difference in price would be worth it to me. But, to each their own, I know several people who own Yeti coolers and would not even consider anything else, even if it did the same job, for less money.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Once I drink up the HEB club soda (.50 cents) I use the bottle for drinking water.

Sometimes, I put them in the fridge to cool down the water, but I just as often fill em up at the kitchen sink and drink em without chilling. You can actually slug down a lot more water if it's room temperature.

Topic author
puma guy
Posts in topic: 7

Post by puma guy »

Abraham wrote:Once I drink up the HEB club soda (.50 cents) I use the bottle for drinking water.

Sometimes, I put them in the fridge to cool down the water, but I just as often fill em up at the kitchen sink and drink em without chilling. You can actually slug down a lot more water if it's room temperature.
:lol: My grandfather, a farmer, would fill a Mason jar with water and some ice, wrap a rag around it and take it to the field. I always noticed he would sip the water until the ice melted and the water wasn't as cold before he'd take big long draws on the jar. I copied him and found out why. He also drank a big glass of water BEFORE he went out to work.
I wonder how the new tumblers would fare against the old Thermos style bottles with vacuum glass inserts.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

vjallen75

Post by vjallen75 »

I myself have two Yeti Tumblers and a Rtic tumbler. I got them for the best price on the planet, free. The Rtic tumbler my son got me on our way back from San Antonio not too long ago. They all work the same to me. Like many others said, it's good to do your own research.
Vence
NRA Member, EDC: FNS-9mm
I have contact my state rep., Jonathan Stickland, about supporting HB 560. Fine out who represents you, here.

majorr

Post by majorr »

I own all 3 brands (Yeti, Rtic and Ozark) and like them all. I had a couple Yeti cups powder coated and they seemed to be even better than before. Now I've been applying Cerakote to my cups as well as those for many of my friends. It looks great and people love them.

SHogun62

Post by SHogun62 »

I use one of the 1 gallon Under Armour bottles to tote my water in. Cost me 8 bucks at the outlet store in Allen (Although you can find these at places like Dicks). I put a fair bit of ice in it, and even by the evening's end, the water is still cold, and often times there is still a bit of ice inside.

steveincowtown
Banned

Post by steveincowtown »

RogueUSMC wrote:Not to mention that YETI sold out to a Chinese conglomerate a year or so ago...

When the family goes to the lake, folks bring the YETIs but everyone is fighting over who gets my Uncle Bobby's Budweiser cooler that he was given by one of his parts reps back I the 80s. That sucker keeps ice FOREVER! My uncle Just turned 82...lol

I believe YETI is owned by Cortec, which is based out of NYC. Almost as bad as China, but not quite. :tiphat:

I have 2 YETI 20oz'ers that were given to me as a gift by a neighbor. For boating/camping/etc. the best part is not that they keep your drink cold, but they keep your ice. It is not uncommon for me to use just one cup of ice a day, where if I was using a regular cup I would be going through all the ice I had on hand.
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

Return to “Closed Items”