Shotgun Modification...

Items listed for over one month, or that were sold are listed here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 4

Shotgun Modification...

Post by stevie_d_64 »

I have aquired a Mossberg 500A 12 ga.

It is in very good condition, used, previous owner took pretty good care of it...

But since I have owned it, it has sat in the gunsafe, loaded with some good Remington 00 buck, (5) rounds...I just don't have a need for more...Maybe the mods will encourage me to buy a few more...

It is obviously not a hunting weapon, and currently has in my opinion good balance and clean functionality...

It has an 18 barrel, which I believe to be legal, and a good polymer stock (standard)...

What I am wanting to do is a simple mod to bring it to a status as a serious home defence weapon...

- Get a pistol grip stock...

- and get a set of pronounced "iron" rifle sights mounted...

I like the kind of sights that illuminate with ambient light to a flourecent blade front sight, and have a rear sight to enhance that sight picture...

The pistol grip stock I figure may be fairly common, but not knowing who here locally sells a good rock solid product is not something I want to spend too much leg work on investigating, I'd rather hear some suiggestions from folks here...

I figure someone knows of a good dealer in the S.E. Harris County area that could take this shotgun and provide the hardware to make this change...

I think I can do all the work myself, the standard bead sight, up front, can come off pretty easy, and that leaves a mounting opportunity for the replacement front sight...Don't see any other way as yet...

There are some pre-tapped holes for the rear sights in two positions (two up forward of the other pair) on the "receiver"...

Anyway, I know it'll work in the configuration its in now, but I am looking to get these done so that my wife can get good with it, and not have to rely on any control issues and sight picture situations...I figure she'll take better to these mods than the way it is now...

So I guess I am looking for a dealer with this type of hardware that someone here can suggest I go see...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 1

Post by anygunanywhere »

Stevie, you might think twice about the pistol grip, especially if your lovely wife will be using it. Having shot both, I find the pistol grip to be cumbersome (for me). I find the shotgun stock better for control. In the same thought, I have considered a pistol grip on a 20 ga since the round is a little more controllable with heavier 20 ga loads, but when I start throwing around 3" 12 ga buckshot loads, I want the regular stock.

A lot of folks have said that you use your handgun to fight your way to your long gun.

Now a laser and/or tactical light would be great to go along with your sights.

BTW, the Mossberg handles well. Awile back, my son and I were shooting clays warming up for the doves. We tried our 'Bergs on the clays. They worked great! Fast swinging!

Anygun
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Tom

Post by Tom »

Steve,

You might try one of these:
http://www.uws.com/CHOATE/AdjPGStock.html

I have one on my wife's Mossberg 500 20GA and she loves it.
It makes for a very controllable package. Did not change the sights
though so can't help you with that.

Good luck,

Tom

Topic author
stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

With that 18" barrel it handles well in tight quarters (even the way it is configured now)...In hallways, small rooms and around corners, etc etc...

The typical "lean into it" firing stance with a shotgun leans me towards having something that does not put too much a burden on a peculiar wrist position in your typical shotgun/rifle buttstock...A pistol grip IMO gives you a more natural wrist angle to take the recoil and use less effort to keep the weapon tight against your shoulder...But thats just me...

But what will definitely be an improvement will be those shotgun sights that really stand out and help you get the business end on target quicker...

I've been doing a little snooping around and found a shop in Pasadena that provides sights and stocks that I am thiniking of...

He's closed tomorrow and Monday so I'll try to get out there sometime next week...

Just another fun project at Casa Steve's...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

Topic author
stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Tom wrote:Steve,

You might try one of these:
http://www.uws.com/CHOATE/AdjPGStock.html

I have one on my wife's Mossberg 500 20GA and she loves it.
It makes for a very controllable package. Did not change the sights
though so can't help you with that.

Good luck,

Tom
Thats exactly what I am looking for...

I notice this model has the stock fully formed to the trigger guard...I saw that as a weak part of the design in others I have seen...

The price is about what I thought as well...Thats not going to be a problem for us now...

Thanks for the link, I have it bookmarked for future reference...
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

anygunanywhere wrote:Stevie, ... Having shot both, I find the pistol grip to be cumbersome (for me). I find the shotgun stock better for control...
Anygun
+1 - I have shot both in three gun matches and find the "regular" stock just feels more comfortable.

I do have high visibility rifle sights on mine, ghost ring rear, and if I ever save up enough money, or if my wife gets real generous for Christmas, I will have a laser sight for it.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Topic author
stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Ahhh, yes, Christmas...mmmmm...

A season of joy and happiness...

Thats why I am sad sometimes in December... :lol:

An oxymoronic statement if I have ever written one...

I'm so confused...ugggg...
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

Return to “Closed Items”