A random, unscientific, sampling of these indicate that--entirely expectedly--the majority are Democrat Party events. There is also some obvious geographic disparity. For example, Nuevo Laredo shows 12 voter registration drive events; Greater Houston, three; the DFW Metroplex, four; Greater Austin, seven.
However, it's a good day to mark on your calendar as a reminder to be certain your voter registration is current. Generally speaking, the registration deadline in Texas is October 11. And keep in mind that some changes in your life will affect your status even if you were previously registered. Some of these include:
- A move to a different county within Texas: You must re-register! Your previous registration is no longer valid. Take care of this now because we're only 11 days out from the deadline.
- A change of address within the same county: You need to notify the correct voter registrar authority in your county (in most cases, the Tax Assessor-Collector; in some, the County Clerk or Elections Administrator) in writing of the change. If you reside in the same county, you can do this online. But you'll want to do it now because it takes up to 30 days to receive your corrected voter registration card.
- A change of name: You may not need to re-register, but the update process can take longer than a simple change of address depending upon the circumstances. If you did not take care of this when you changed your Texas driver's license, you may need to fill-out a new voter registration form and check the "change" box. If you're still living in the same county, the change can be made online.
- Information and links related to voter registration changes: http://www.votetexas.gov/register-to-vo ... -something.
Information about registering, or to check if your registration is valid for the November general election: http://www.votetexas.gov/register-to-vo ... er-to-vote.
Early voting in Texas begins October 24 and ends November 4. Information about early voting: http://www.votetexas.gov/voting/when/.
This election, we're not just selecting the first new POTUS and administration in eight years, we're also very likely selecting the majority structure of the Supreme Court for a generation or more.
Our Forum members, I believe, are more likely to vote in elections than the general population. But none of us can stay home on this one.
Early Voting Locations
A reminder that early voting locations can change. For example, for over a decade I used the same facility at the city hall of a municipality in northwest Harris County. Two years ago, out of habit and without bothering to check, away I went to cast my vote. And you guessed it: sign on the front door saying it was no longer a voting location; the two closest were several miles away either north or south, and I had to reschedule to vote on a different day.
To try to help some of you avoid that, and make it quicker to find your early voting locations, I've compiled a set of links to early voting locations in Texas's 15 most populous counties. Keep in mind that registered and eligible voters may vote at any early voting location in the county of their residence.
- Harris: http://www.harrisvotes.com/EarlyVoting/ ... eNonIE.pdf
- Dallas: http://www.dallascountyvotes.org/early- ... rmation-2/
- Tarrant: http://access.tarrantcounty.com/en/elec ... -Maps.html
- Bexar: http://www.bexar.org/DocumentCenter/View/4572
- Travis: http://traviscountyclerk.org/eclerk/Content.do?code=E.4
- Collin: http://www.collincountytx.gov/elections ... oting.aspx
- El Paso: https://epcountyvotes.com/quick_links/where_do_i_vote
- Hidalgo: https://tx-hidalgocounty.civicplus.com/ ... View/23493
- Denton: http://www.votedenton.com/early-voting-in-person/
- Fort Bend: http://www.fortbendcountytx.gov/index.aspx?page=919
- Montgomery: http://www.mctx.org/election/
- Williamson: http://www.wilco.org/CountyDepartments/ ... fault.aspx
- Cameron: http://www.co.cameron.tx.us/Early%20Vot ... 02016b.pdf
- Nueces: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... UzivrrgCi8
- Brazoria: http://www.brazoriacountyclerk.net/reco ... Places.htm