BILL STATUS UPDATE: 4/23/13

This sub-forum will open for posting on Sept. 1, 2012.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

BILL STATUS UPDATE: 4/23/13

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

House Bills Updated:

47, 48, 153, 333, 452, 485, 508, 534, 801, 928, 972, 1009, 1076, 1304, 1314, 1344, 1421, 2407, 2759, 2860, 3278, 3288.

Senate Bills Updated:

11, 17, 164, 321, 299, 481, 864.

RoyGBiv

Re: BILL STATUS UPDATE: 4/23/13

Post by RoyGBiv »

I find this page to be a great scorecard for those trying to follow along.

https://www.texasfirearmscoalition.com/ ... tus-report" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

TREKFAN
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TREKFAN »

I wish we could at least get a baby step with something like campus carry. Even if the schools have the option to opt out with 30.06. Just to pass something and have 1 less thing to fight in the future. UTSA will opt out but will have to go through the trouble to post over 100 30.06 signs. I just want to see something pro gun pass.. =(
Application, Fingerprints & CHL class done by 1-12-13
All documents mailed USPS 1-16-13
All Documents Received, background check under review 2-1-13
Background check complete 2/15

JKTex
Posts in topic: 4

Post by JKTex »

TREKFAN wrote:I wish we could at least get a baby step with something like campus carry. Even if the schools have the option to opt out with 30.06. Just to pass something and have 1 less thing to fight in the future. UTSA will opt out but will have to go through the trouble to post over 100 30.06 signs. I just want to see something pro gun pass.. =(
The problem with that seemingly growing sentiment (based on rebellious comments here too) is that if you are a student and even 1 door is posted you'll have a real hard time convincing a Judge that you were not given effective notice being on campus all the time. Effective notice doesn't mean all doors need to be posted, it means action was taken to make you aware. In my opinion, you can bet that the registration process will include effective notice and they may not even post any signs except at main doors that non-student regularly uses.

I do not think it's a good compromise. You give them that and how much harder will it be to get anything changed in the near future? What you'll have with this "compromise" is relying on the school changing it's mind, which means, it's taking the action to allow carry which is a whole lot different that a law mandating it.

TREKFAN

Post by TREKFAN »

JKTex wrote:
TREKFAN wrote:I wish we could at least get a baby step with something like campus carry. Even if the schools have the option to opt out with 30.06. Just to pass something and have 1 less thing to fight in the future. UTSA will opt out but will have to go through the trouble to post over 100 30.06 signs. I just want to see something pro gun pass.. =(
The problem with that seemingly growing sentiment (based on rebellious comments here too) is that if you are a student and even 1 door is posted you'll have a real hard time convincing a Judge that you were not given effective notice being on campus all the time. Effective notice doesn't mean all doors need to be posted, it means action was taken to make you aware. In my opinion, you can bet that the registration process will include effective notice and they may not even post any signs except at main doors that non-student regularly uses.

I do not think it's a good compromise. You give them that and how much harder will it be to get anything changed in the near future? What you'll have with this "compromise" is relying on the school changing it's mind, which means, it's taking the action to allow carry which is a whole lot different that a law mandating it.
Man, see, there ypu go correcting me and making sense. Lol. I had not considered that point of you. Thank you for the information. I just wish we could pass campus carry at least this session.
Application, Fingerprints & CHL class done by 1-12-13
All documents mailed USPS 1-16-13
All Documents Received, background check under review 2-1-13
Background check complete 2/15

JKTex

Post by JKTex »

I know, it's frustrating. I kind of thought with Oklahoma passing OC, it might make it a little easier seeing that the rivers aren't full of blood. But it seems that got "supported" to death. Campus Carry was one I didn't have any idea about. To me the issue is not a big deal and I don't see any real hurdles except, the people that think it means kids with guns running all over campus shooting up RUSH parties. The fanatics seem to always make more noise and get more attention.

I can imagine how frustrating it is for someone that's worked on this stuff for so long to have it amended pretty much taking away the intent. I could not do it. :txflag:

Luggo1

Post by Luggo1 »

FWIW, Lubbock radio talk show this morning was saying that Whitmire is quoted as saying he will not give the campus carry bill a committee vote. I found that hard to believe, so I did some searching, I believe they were quoting this article

http://trailblazersblog.dallasnews.com/ ... ties.html/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Senate Criminal Justice Committee Chair John Whitmire said he considers campus carry pretty much dead for the session, due partly to the fact that he refuses to hear it in his committee..."

“Personally I think we need a cooling off period before we talk about extending the right to carry on campus and other places,” said Whitmire, D-Houston, referring to the killings at Sandy Hook....

JKTex

Post by JKTex »

Luggo1 wrote:
“Personally I think we need a cooling off period before we talk about extending the right to carry on campus and other places,” said Whitmire, D-Houston, referring to the killings at Sandy Hook....
That's typical, trying to sound as if he's being logical. Campus Carry has nothing to do with a shooting at an Elementary school. He just doesn't want it. But then again, I don't think the House bill is worth pushing the way it's hacked.

HK_USP_45

Post by HK_USP_45 »

The problem is there has been a "cooling off" period on this and the other carry bills for the last four years. It isn't like this just came up. The Speaker doesn't want a session with contention so they are bring up the bills that have unamious support or that has backers and the rest don't care either way. They are there to debate and vote but this session will be the "get along" session.

canvasbck

Post by canvasbck »

Reviewing the list, I'm reminding myself again today about the speakership=power
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

canvasbck wrote:Reviewing the list, I'm reminding myself again today about the speakership=power
:iagree: The best were are going to get is the "crumbs" of what was a very good group of bills. As I said, Strauss doesn't want anything passed that would really advance the cause of gun rights in Texas and that is the way that it is going to be until there isn't a Strauss in charge.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

HK_USP_45

Post by HK_USP_45 »

And for additional clues, look who is on the House Reconciliation committee.

Coogan

Post by Coogan »

Luggo1 wrote:FWIW, Lubbock radio talk show this morning was saying that Whitmire is quoted as saying he will not give the campus carry bill a committee vote. I found that hard to believe, so I did some searching, I believe they were quoting this article

http://trailblazersblog.dallasnews.com/ ... ties.html/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Senate Criminal Justice Committee Chair John Whitmire said he considers campus carry pretty much dead for the session, due partly to the fact that he refuses to hear it in his committee..."

I am very disappointed to hear this. Sen. Whitmire has a very good past pro-gun voting record. I'm not sure what is going on these days.

tomtexan

Post by tomtexan »

Coogan wrote:
Luggo1 wrote:FWIW, Lubbock radio talk show this morning was saying that Whitmire is quoted as saying he will not give the campus carry bill a committee vote. I found that hard to believe, so I did some searching, I believe they were quoting this article

I am very disappointed to hear this. Sen. Whitmire has a very good past pro-gun voting record. I'm not sure what is going on these days.
The "D" between Whitmire and Houston says a lot.
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

stash

Post by stash »

Well, I guess CC is gone, and OC and 3218 are most likely gone. I sure wanted 3218 to be successful. Maybe I can get elected to my HOA and carry under 3219.
TSRA
NRA
TFC
USMC 1961-1966

Return to “2013 Texas Legislative Session”