Dewhurst talks up special session, including gun bill(s)

This sub-forum will open for posting on Sept. 1, 2012.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 2

Dewhurst talks up special session, including gun bill(s)

Post by RHenriksen »

http://blog.chron.com/texaspolitics/201 ... pid=hpfsln" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hold onto your hats, this could get interesting!!!
:tiphat:
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

jmra

Re: Dewhurst talks up special session, including gun bill(s)

Post by jmra »

Let's hope it does get interesting.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

2firfun50
Posts in topic: 3

Post by 2firfun50 »

jmra wrote:Let's hope it does get interesting.
What I sent to the Governor this morning.

Governor Perry,
I see this session of the Legislature as a perfect opportunity to call a special session focused on gun rights, especially for Texas CHL license holders. With the budget nearly decided, we need to move on and get the gun issues resolved.
The blantant attempt by the Senate to pass an elitist amendment to HB 508, while stopping Campus Carry should not go unresolved.
Texas CHL holders have earned the right to be be heard in special session.
HB 508, HB3218, and the various Campus Carry bills need to be heard and brought up for a straight up/down recorded vote. Then we can see where CHL holders stand with the various legislators.

powerboatr
Posts in topic: 1

Post by powerboatr »

there are still tons of work to be done
I am all for a special session

looks like ai have a few phone calls to make this morning
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

canvasbck

Post by canvasbck »

Does a special session allow for bills that died in committee? Sure would be nice to revive 3218!
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

2firfun50

Post by 2firfun50 »

canvasbck wrote:Does a special session allow for bills that died in committee? Sure would be nice to revive 3218!
I specifically referenced 3218 in the fax I sent to the governor. I think a special session is for whatever the Governor assigns.

Topic author
RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

I've emailed the gov as well.
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

Paraphrasing Sen. Kirk Watson of Austin, who heads the Senate Democratic Caucus.
“Middle-class Texans are dealing with a lot of challenges, and I’m pretty sure Democrats and Straus wasted a lot of taxpayer money by blocking HB3218 and other gun bills, not to mention opposing necessary belt tightening during tough economic times. You can count on us blaming the people who try to clean up the mess we made.”
Indiana Lifetime Handgun License

Scott Farkus

Post by Scott Farkus »

Hoosier Daddy wrote:Paraphrasing Sen. Kirk Watson of Austin, who heads the Senate Democratic Caucus.
“Middle-class Texans are dealing with a lot of challenges, and I’m pretty sure Democrats and Straus wasted a lot of taxpayer money by blocking HB3218 and other gun bills, not to mention opposing necessary belt tightening during tough economic times. You can count on us blaming the people who try to clean up the mess we made.”
Kirk Watson said that? :confused5

CWOOD

Post by CWOOD »

I sent two emails to the Governor, one regarding the hope of reviving 3218 type legislation in the special session, since the Senate liked its concept so much that they carved it out for themselves in the process of butchering HB 508, and a separate email suggesting that Campus Carry also be added to the called session.

CWOOD

Post by CWOOD »

Scott Farkus wrote:
Hoosier Daddy wrote:Paraphrasing Sen. Kirk Watson of Austin, who heads the Senate Democratic Caucus.
Kirk Watson said that? :confused5
I think the Hoosier Daddy didn't provide a timely "close quote", and then went into his opinion on the matter.

Here is Watson's quotation per the Houston Chronicle blog:

“Middle-class Texans are dealing with a lot of challenges, and I’m pretty sure a political candidate seeking a special session to score points with primary voters isn’t one of them,” Watson said. “Every issue I’ve heard suggested for a special session has already been the subject of some failed bill or hearing over the last couple of months. We shouldn’t waste taxpayers’ money in a special session just because someone didn’t get everything they wanted.”

http://blog.chron.com/texaspolitics/201 ... on-agenda/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tarkus

Post by tarkus »

It looks like a passably accurate job of translating politician patois to plain English.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it's on the internet, thank a geek.

RX8er

Post by RX8er »

I got my email from TSRA the other day about it.
We Expect A Special Session and Need Your Help
Once again, TSRA members, we need your help.

Contact Governor Perry!

The Texas Legislature gavels to a close on regular session on May 27th and Governor Perry is expected to call a special session. It may begin immediately. Special sessions are called by the Governor when the business of running the state has not been completed. We consider this urgent business.

We need Concealed Carry on Campus to be added to the "call".

This issue has been fully vetted by both the House and the Senate over the past three legislative sessions. It has passed out of every committee hearing and passed in both chambers, House and Senate.

This session the issue was halted by a Democratic Caucus block in the Senate after the bill passed in the Texas House.

In order to bring any legislation to the Senate floor for discussion or debate, Senate rules require a 2/3s vote. With 31 State Senators, this means 21 must agree by vote to hear the legislation. Bills then pass or fail by a simple majority. There are 19 Republicans. Two Democratic Senators stopped the process.

This was not a disagreement on public safety.

The resistance was wholly political in nature. Members of the state party testified in committee that stopping this issue was a priority in their state platform. The Senate Democrats responded to their party.

In House and Senate committees, students, returning from military service in combat zones, testified to their disappointment at having protected the country only to return to college and not be allowed to protect themselves. Remember a licensee must be 21 years old, submit to a finger print background check, pass the DPS-written course of material and shoot the prescribed course of fire.

Why would this issue pass in a Special Session?

There is no 2/3s rule during a Special Session.

Students for Conceal Carry on Campus is a national association which evolved out of the tragedy at Virginia Tech. They've done their job, we need to complete ours.

Please contact Governor Perry and politely urge our Governor to add personal protection on college and university campuses to the "Call".

Contact The Governor Link

Bill status can be found and http://www.tsrapac.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; can be read and researched at and bills can be read on line at Texas Legislature on Line

Don't forget to contribute to the TSRA-PAC. Political Action Committee funds help pro-gun candidates. We need to support those who support us. Go to http://www.tsra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or call 512-615-4200. Make a donation, join the association or up-grade your membership.

Keep the Faith,

Alice Tripp
Legislative Director
Final Shot offers Firearms / FFL Transfers / CHL Instruction. Please like our Facebook Page.
If guns kill people, do pens misspell words?
I like options: Sig Sauer | DPMS | Springfield Armory | Glock | Beretta

IlliniBill

Post by IlliniBill »

If Perry brings back campus carry, does it have to be the existing bill (which allows universities to opt out) or can he introduce a different bill with less restrictions?

CWOOD

Post by CWOOD »

IlliniBill wrote:If Perry brings back campus carry, does it have to be the existing bill (which allows universities to opt out) or can he introduce a different bill with less restrictions?

When the current session ends in a couple of days, everything not passed and sent to the governor evaporates. A special session, or called session as it is sometimes known, begins anew. There are no 'old' bills. Everything starts from scratch, just as if it were the next regular session in two years.

The Governor can instruct the legislature to address any topic he chooses and they can only address the topics he specifies. Another feature of the special session is that the Senate does not operate under normal rules as they do in a regular session. In a regular session,although it only takes a simple majority to pass most items, it requires a 2/3 majority to bring an item to the floor for action. In the special session it only requires a simple majority to bring an item to the floor and to pass. That can be helpful.

Return to “2013 Texas Legislative Session”