Special Session -- 2013

This sub-forum will open for posting on Sept. 1, 2012.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Bladed
Posts in topic: 8

Re: Special Session -- 2013

Post by Bladed »

AEA wrote:Yea, be sure to read all 239 pages! :shock: "rlol"
Get a better browser. I liked directly to the relevant page.

Tic Tac
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Tic Tac »

nightmare69 wrote:When will we know if any gun bills were discussed/voted on?
It depends what source you choose to use.

2firfun50
Posts in topic: 14

Post by 2firfun50 »

Tic Tac wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:When will we know if any gun bills were discussed/voted on?
It depends what source you choose to use.
The way I read about special sessions, we'll have to wait until he expands the current special session call to include gun related subjects, or calls another special session just for gun issues. Until then, we can't really expect anything to happen. It would be a really big stretch to cover gun bills with a call about redistricting.

Tic Tac
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Tic Tac »

Right. Until he does that we can expect no gun laws are on the agenda. If he calls another session for gun rights, the speed at which someone finds out what's happening depends where they look.

GEM-Texas
Posts in topic: 1

Post by GEM-Texas »

I'm not holding my breath on this one. I wrote him, referencing Mr. Cotton's fine letter. I previously testifed in front of the House. But Perry hasn't come through before. Why think he will this time?

Topic author
SawdustBytes
Posts in topic: 3

Post by SawdustBytes »

HB 12 was filed on 5/28: Relating to certain firearms, firearm accessories, and firearm ammunition within the State of Texas; providing an exemption from federal regulation and providing penalties.

SB 9 was filed on 5/29: Relating to the carrying of concealed handguns on the campuses of and certain other locations associated with institutions of higher education.

SB 16 was filed on 5/29: Relating to certain offenses relating to carrying concealed handguns on property owned or leased by a governmental entity; providing a civil penalty.

HOWEVER ---

They are essentially moot until the governor adds them to the agenda.

[Edited to correct bill number on SB 16]
Last edited by SawdustBytes on Fri May 31, 2013 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

ComeAndTakeIt

Post by ComeAndTakeIt »

Perry has always seems greasy to me. Time for him to step up and walk the talk. It's too bad Jerry Patterson isn't running for governor (although some say that the Lt Gov has more power in TX anyway).

Rrash
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Rrash »

SawdustBytes wrote:HB 12 was filed on 5/28: Relating to certain firearms, firearm accessories, and firearm ammunition within the State of Texas; providing an exemption from federal regulation and providing penalties.

SB 9 was filed on 5/29: Relating to the carrying of concealed handguns on the campuses of and certain other locations associated with institutions of higher education.

SB 17 was filed on 5/29: Relating to certain offenses relating to carrying concealed handguns on property owned or leased by a governmental entity; providing a civil penalty.

HOWEVER ---

They are essentially moot until the governor adds them to the agenda.
I'm not following you on this post.

SB 17: Relating to the training in school safety of certain educators of a school district or an open-enrollment charter school authorized to carry a concealed handgun on school premises. It passed and was sent to the governor on 5/26.

Are you thinking of HB 508? Relating to certain offenses relating to carrying concealed handguns on property owned or leased by a governmental entity; providing a civil penalty.
SB 9 was filed on 5/29: Relating to the carrying of concealed handguns on the campuses of and certain other locations associated with institutions of higher education"
this is HB 972
HB 12 was filed on 5/28: Relating to certain firearms, firearm accessories, and firearm ammunition within the State of Texas; providing an exemption from federal regulation and providing penalties.
This is HB 1076

Am I missing something here?

artx

Post by artx »

Rrash - make sure when searching on the TX legislature site you are choosing session 83(1) from the session drop down http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/. During a special session, all bills must be refiled. I'm not sure why TLO has the 83 regular session as the default.

Topic author
SawdustBytes

Post by SawdustBytes »

Rrash,
These are the newly assigned numbers for the special session. Everything starts from scratch with each session. If we are lucky, our bills will get some early committe work and will be ready to go if the governor adds them to this called session. Lets hope that the redistricting gets wrapped up quickly so that the chances they will be added to the agenda will improve.

BTW, I got confused while looking up the bills filed for session 83(1) because the search kept flipping back to the regular session.

jerry_r60
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jerry_r60 »

This is a short article on the special session and what topics are getting attention in addition to the redistricting.

http://www.chron.com/news/texas/article ... 550784.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In another article from the dallas morning news, the same topics were mentioned along with a comment from the Gov that it's too soon to comment.

"In addition to redistricting, social conservatives have been urging Perry to add legislation to allow the carrying of concealed handguns on college campuses and to ban abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy. Bills on both topics were introduced Tuesday, but only the governor can set the agenda in a special session.

Perry, in a brief news conference, kept his cards close to his vest.

“It’s a little bit premature, with less than 24 hours since we’ve called the special, to be addressing whether we’re going to be adding anything to the call or not,” he said."

full article here:
http://www.dallasnews.com/news/politics ... begins.ece" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CWOOD

Post by CWOOD »

My personal opinion, without any "special" information, is that the Governor will probably want to get the redistricting out of the way and put to bed before throwing other items into the mix.

Redistricting is going to be contentious enough with out bargaining for other items as a distraction.

THEN we can get it on.

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

CWOOD wrote:My personal opinion, without any "special" information, is that the Governor will probably want to get the redistricting out of the way and put to bed before throwing other items into the mix.

Redistricting is going to be contentious enough with out bargaining for other items as a distraction.

THEN we can get it on.
That's my suspicion as well. Keeping the agenda uncluttered at a single item prevents horsetrading away other things and holds their feet to the fire.
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Rrash

Post by Rrash »

Cool. Thank you all for the correction. I googled these bills and did not get a hit at the time. Really glad to see them filed.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

From http://www.dallasnews.com/news/politics ... egins.eceP." onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Hours before, Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst made it clear that the Senate rule requiring two-thirds of members’ agreement for a bill to come up for a vote is gone for the special session. That crimps Democrats’ ability to influence legislation, as they hold only 12 of 31 votes in the chamber.
:thumbs2:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Return to “2013 Texas Legislative Session”