Special Session -- 2013

This sub-forum will open for posting on Sept. 1, 2012.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

User avatar

TexasGal
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1701
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:37 am
Location: Fort Worth, TX

Re: Special Session -- 2013

#76

Post by TexasGal » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:58 pm

I received this email from the TSRA today so they are reporting the same thing as the NRA. Time to make some more calls, emails, etc. It really tics me that the special session can get this passed where the regular session keeps it stymied and yet the Governor isn't putting it on:
Campus Carry Will NOT Be On Special Session
While transportation, pro-life and juvenile justice issues have been added to the call for the current special session, we have been informed that important Second Amendment issues such as campus carry will not be included. Although the Governor has the authority to add subjects to the call, he does so with input from the Lieutenant Governor and the Speaker of the House.

Register your dissatisfaction...
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member


Richard_B
Banned
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:16 pm

Re: Special Session -- 2013

#77

Post by Richard_B » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:35 am

paperchunker wrote:This was the last chance for Perry and Dewhurst in my book. It is time to really get behind Greg Abbott for Governor and Jerry Patterson for Lt. Governor in 2014.
You may be surprised to learn that Speaker Straus (R-San Antonio) is "A" rated by NRA-ILA. Rep. Joe Pickett (D-El Paso), Chairman of the Homeland Security and Public Safety Committee is likewise "A" rated.

How would you have rated these individuals based upon their actions in the last three regular sessions?

Soon, I think, it will be time to evaluate the methods and results of ILA's evaluation of candidates.

You may wish to make your own assessment of the matter.


2firfun50
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 14
Posts: 307
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:45 pm
Location: Little Elm Tx
Contact:

Re: Special Session -- 2013

#78

Post by 2firfun50 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:13 am

Richard_B wrote:
paperchunker wrote:This was the last chance for Perry and Dewhurst in my book. It is time to really get behind Greg Abbott for Governor and Jerry Patterson for Lt. Governor in 2014.
You may be surprised to learn that Speaker Straus (R-San Antonio) is "A" rated by NRA-ILA. Rep. Joe Pickett (D-El Paso), Chairman of the Homeland Security and Public Safety Committee is likewise "A" rated.

How would you have rated these individuals based upon their actions in the last three regular sessions?

Soon, I think, it will be time to evaluate the methods and results of ILA's evaluation of candidates.

You may wish to make your own assessment of the matter.
My evaluation is based on 1 particular bill and subject "the sign" bill (HB508 and Now SB16). Every last Senator who voted for the amendment that killed it in the House gets an "F". Every member of the conference committee who "failed to do right" gets an "F". Picket gets 2 double "F's" for not allowing HB3218 to even be voted on in committee.

:cheers2:


JKTex
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 8
Posts: 368
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:28 am
Location: Flower Mound

Re: Special Session -- 2013

#79

Post by JKTex » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:40 am

Richard_B wrote:
paperchunker wrote:This was the last chance for Perry and Dewhurst in my book. It is time to really get behind Greg Abbott for Governor and Jerry Patterson for Lt. Governor in 2014.
You may be surprised to learn that Speaker Straus (R-San Antonio) is "A" rated by NRA-ILA. Rep. Joe Pickett (D-El Paso), Chairman of the Homeland Security and Public Safety Committee is likewise "A" rated.

How would you have rated these individuals based upon their actions in the last three regular sessions?

Soon, I think, it will be time to evaluate the methods and results of ILA's evaluation of candidates.

You may wish to make your own assessment of the matter.
There's nothing to be surprised about because that rating comes from a questionnaire. Someones personal opinion based on a specific event isn't relevant to the survey.

From what Charles has and hasn't said, it sounds like there's more to what's going on this session than we will know until the session is over. When you look at the number of bills that DID pass it's pretty impressive, even if the hot issues aren't part of that list. My fingers are crossed that the fat lady isn't even close to signing yet, but we'll see. :txflag:

User avatar

SewTexas
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 3143
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:52 pm
Location: San Antonio area

Re: Special Session -- 2013

#80

Post by SewTexas » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:23 pm

I think it's based on a questionnaire until a vote comes up that applies to a gun issue, then that vote and further gun issue votes are used as a basis for the grade, (the questionnaire is probably averaged in there somehow also). I could be mistaken, but I believe that is how it was explained to me.

edit: so the problem is that some of these grades, like Strauss's, don't reflect that he doesn't allow the vote, but if it comes up for a vote he will vote for it, thus he gets the good grade. (I'm not sure that makes a lick of sense? I wish I could write like TAM)
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir


Panda
Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:45 pm

Re: Special Session -- 2013

#81

Post by Panda » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:31 pm

Richard_B wrote:You may be surprised to learn that Speaker Straus (R-San Antonio) is "A" rated by NRA-ILA. Rep. Joe Pickett (D-El Paso), Chairman of the Homeland Security and Public Safety Committee is likewise "A" rated.

How would you have rated these individuals based upon their actions in the last three regular sessions?
I give Straus a D on gun rights.
Last edited by Panda on Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.


JKTex
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 8
Posts: 368
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:28 am
Location: Flower Mound

Re: Special Session -- 2013

#82

Post by JKTex » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:36 pm

SewTexas wrote:I think it's based on a questionnaire until a vote comes up that applies to a gun issue, then that vote and further gun issue votes are used as a basis for the grade, (the questionnaire is probably averaged in there somehow also). I could be mistaken, but I believe that is how it was explained to me.

edit: so the problem is that some of these grades, like Strauss's, don't reflect that he doesn't allow the vote, but if it comes up for a vote he will vote for it, thus he gets the good grade. (I'm not sure that makes a lick of sense? I wish I could write like TAM)
I don't think it's that simple, but the grade comes from the questionnaire as it's been explained many times. I believe Charles has even commented about how much weight can be put on the grade. It's just a part of many things, but also, we don't know what's going on inside and often loose sight of the big picture of everything the Legislature is working with.


Bladed
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 8
Posts: 421
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:28 pm

Re: Special Session -- 2013

#83

Post by Bladed » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:20 pm

Beiruty wrote:Honorable Lt. Governor David Dewhurst,

I am really disappointed to learn that no Pro-gun laws would be introduced in the special session call. I, as millions of Texans, was waiting to hear that the Texan legislators would work hard and introduce pro-gun bills to extend our 2nd Amendment rights wherever we are.

I am certain that you are aware that the very often an active shooter would go on shooting spree killing innocent disarmed citizens in so called Gun-Free zones.

Why in the world we would allow such incidents to happen? Gun Laws would only disarm law-abiding citizen and said laws are only to ignored by those who are committed to do mass murder.

Such gun-free zones are only the easy killing fields. Letting citizen disarmed would only make them easier to kill.

Please I would like to express my dissatisfaction with new pro-gun being introduced in the special session.

Best regards,
Beiruty
Lieutenant Governor Dewhurst already asked for campus carry to be added to the special session. Governor Perry is the one who apparently decided not to add it.


Cedar Park Dad
Banned
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 2064
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:19 am
Location: Cedar Park Texas

Re: Special Session -- 2013

#84

Post by Cedar Park Dad » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:40 pm

Remember who did and didn't support, irrespective of party.


JKTex
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 8
Posts: 368
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:28 am
Location: Flower Mound

Re: Special Session -- 2013

#85

Post by JKTex » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:44 pm

Bladed wrote:Lieutenant Governor Dewhurst already asked for campus carry to be added to the special session. Governor Perry is the one who apparently decided not to add it.
Where did you hear that? I've tried to find where anyone has publicly said what they've discussed and haven't found anything.


paperchunker
Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 146
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:48 pm
Location: Justin. TX

Re: Special Session -- 2013

#86

Post by paperchunker » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:08 pm

Richard_B wrote:
paperchunker wrote:This was the last chance for Perry and Dewhurst in my book. It is time to really get behind Greg Abbott for Governor and Jerry Patterson for Lt. Governor in 2014.
You may be surprised to learn that Speaker Straus (R-San Antonio) is "A" rated by NRA-ILA. Rep. Joe Pickett (D-El Paso), Chairman of the Homeland Security and Public Safety Committee is likewise "A" rated.

How would you have rated these individuals based upon their actions in the last three regular sessions?

Soon, I think, it will be time to evaluate the methods and results of ILA's evaluation of candidates.

You may wish to make your own assessment of the matter.
I would rate them all an "F", however I am not in their districts. I do strongly encourage my rep to vote against Strauss but as long he has all the Democrats and a handfull of RINO's he will stay as Speaker.

A change in Texas House rules to elect the Speaker solely by the majority party, like the US House does, is sorely needed.
NRA/LTC Instructor
NRA Patriot Life- Endowment Member


Bladed
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 8
Posts: 421
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:28 pm

Re: Special Session -- 2013

#87

Post by Bladed » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:14 pm

JKTex wrote:
Bladed wrote:Lieutenant Governor Dewhurst already asked for campus carry to be added to the special session. Governor Perry is the one who apparently decided not to add it.
Where did you hear that? I've tried to find where anyone has publicly said what they've discussed and haven't found anything.
http://www.texastribune.org/2013/05/27/ ... ecial-ses/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


jerry_r60
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 403
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:47 pm

Re: Special Session -- 2013

#88

Post by jerry_r60 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:27 pm

According to this update from a couple hours ago, it sounds like nothing more is going to be added to the session.

http://www.caller.com/news/2013/jun/13/ ... al-sessio/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


JKTex
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 8
Posts: 368
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:28 am
Location: Flower Mound

Re: Special Session -- 2013

#89

Post by JKTex » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:14 pm

Bladed wrote:
JKTex wrote:
Bladed wrote:Lieutenant Governor Dewhurst already asked for campus carry to be added to the special session. Governor Perry is the one who apparently decided not to add it.
Where did you hear that? I've tried to find where anyone has publicly said what they've discussed and haven't found anything.
http://www.texastribune.org/2013/05/27/ ... ecial-ses/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oh, that was early at the beginning of the special session, I think before Perry set the agenda. I thought there was something else more recently once the session was underway.

User avatar

Zoo
Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:47 pm

Re: Special Session -- 2013

#90

Post by Zoo » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:43 pm

Panda wrote:My neighbor said it best. Perry is all hat and no cattle.
In his case, it's more like "all hair..."
The city is not a concrete jungle. It is a human zoo.

Post Reply

Return to “2013 Texas Legislative Session”