Letter to Governor Rick Perry

This sub-forum will open for posting on Sept. 1, 2012.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

AEA
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Letter to Governor Rick Perry

Post by AEA »

Wes wrote:Very nice letter, hopefully we get something going.

anything wrong with using one of these free online fax services like myfax.com or faxzero.com?
I just used faxzero.com :thumbs2:
"Your fax to Gov. Rick Perry at 5124631849 has been sent successfully!"
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Annoyed Man »

artx wrote:Hi Chas - thanks for the letter - can you send out a call on the TFC email list as well (I think I only received 2 or 3 calls to action via the TFC list over the session).

I have talked to a dozen or so folks that I believe signed up for TFC around the midpoint of this session, and many of them are (not yet) TSRA or texaschlforum members. I want to reach everyone with this call! Feel free to also distribute my letter format below. Many people I talk to are hesitant to contact their elected officials because they don't know how to lay out the letter/email/communication. Once you have an example, it is easy - the first time, it is harder.

For anyone that wants to borrow my letter format:
your name
your street address
your city, TX, your zip

Governor Rick Perry
Office of the Governor
State Insurance Bldg
1100 San Jacinto
Austin TX 78701
512-463-1849 Fax

Dear Governor Perry,

Please add the below 3 items to the Texas Legislature special session call list. Gun owners around the Internet are encouraged by Lt. Governor Dewhurst's suggestion you may include personal protection bills in a special session. I support Charles Cotton’s letter to you today.

1) Comprehensive campus-carry. Bills such as HB 972 were held up during the regular session by political party posturing. Our college professors, staff, and adult students deserve the right to self defense.

2) Elimination of virtually all remaining off-limits areas for Texas concealed handgun licensees (HB3218). CHL holders are statistically as law abiding as Texas law enforcement, so there is no reason to prevent CHL holders from carrying in currently prohibited locations.

3) Prohibition on the use of unenforceable 30.06 signs by governmental entities and agencies (HB508). Today, many towns attempt to bully CHL holders from carrying in legal locations through posting 30.06 signs.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions you may have. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

your name
I faxed mine, with some minor edits to personalize it.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

artx
Posts in topic: 3

Post by artx »

Letter faxed, and cross posted to AR15.com Texas hometown forum.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 11

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

mojo84 wrote:Mr. Cotton, did you letter go out via email or fax? I want to contact Gov. Perry and reference your letter but I do not want my email/fax to arrive prior to your letter arriving.

Thanks!
It went by fax and I have the confirmation page. I don't know how quickly he will see faxes.

Chas.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 11

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

anything wrong with using one of these free online fax services like myfax.com or faxzero.com?
No problem at all.

Chas.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by puma guy »

Sent!
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Wes

Post by Wes »

great, thanks

sent!
Alliance Arsenal - Firearms and transfers in north Ft. Worth

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 5

Post by RoyGBiv »

I worry about what information they skim off your "free" fax.
My name, address, email and phone.... and subject matter...
Nothing is truly free.. Somebody is paying for the service... Think about it.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Wes

Post by Wes »

faxzero says they add an ad to the cover letter, that is all. so in essence its not free, its paid advertising for them.
Alliance Arsenal - Firearms and transfers in north Ft. Worth

artx

Post by artx »

RoyGBiv wrote:

I worry about what information they skim off your "free" fax.
My name, address, email and phone.... and subject matter...
Nothing is truly free.. Somebody is paying for the service... Think about it.
You can also consider sites like greenfax.com (I have no stake in this service, but have been using it since 2011 to send faxes and have been satisified). You can send emails via a specific format:

to: faxnumber@greenfax.com
subject: your pin
attachment: what you want faxed

I think my faxes with greenfax.com cost somewhere around $0.07 each. Once I get below 5 bucks or so I add more $ into the account. Using a fax service is still easier for me than having a landline :)

There are a lot of these email to fax services out there (including the ability to receive faxes back to you via email...which I do not have set up).

maverick2076

Post by maverick2076 »

My response will go out tomorrow. I have cross posted this to the Texags Politics Board and will post it on the Outdoors Board as well.

CWOOD

Post by CWOOD »

HERE IS MY COVER LETTER to the Governor which you are free to adapt to your own situation if you find it useful:

May 28, 2013

The Honorable Richard “Rick” Perry
Governor of Texas
P. O. Box 12428
Austin, TX 78111

RE: Concurrence with Charles Cotton

Dear Governor Perry,

My letter to you today comes from a life-long Texan. I am 64 years old and have voted for you in every statewide election you have entered. I am a CHL licensee and instructor with two daughters who have also earned their CHL’s. I write you to in order to voice my whole hearted concurrence with the comments of Charles L. Cotton in his recent correspondence with you regarding the request for your strong leadership and support for the advancement of the rights of Texas Concealed Handgun Licensees (CHL’s) in a special session of the legislature.

As Mr. Cotton mentioned, I have been proud of your public and unapologetic support of the Second Amendment at home, on the state and national campaign trails, and following notorious mass shootings which nearly always seem to miraculously take place in supposedly “gun-free zones”. The expression “the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun, is a good guy with a gun”, never seemed more true in light of these tragic events.

The treatment Texans received by some in the legislature in the most recent session was a slap in the face to 600,000 honest Texas CHL's who have an 18 year history of being the most law abiding group of citizens in the state. The fact that HB 3218 was not even allowed a committee vote, the fact that this same group of citizens were not trusted to step inside a building on a college campus, and the disgusting display of Senator Carona ruining an excellent and needed bill (HB 508) by trying to carve out his elitist prerogative of unlimited (even while intoxicated) concealed carry for himself and his colleagues was reprehensible.

Whatever your political future holds, and I wish you all the best, I am confident that you will be best served by being BOLD. This is no time for pale pastels, as Ronald Reagan once said.

I urge you to add to your special session the following topics:

1. Comprehensive campus carry,
2. Eliminate remaining off limits areas for CHL’s as per HB 3218,
3. Prohibit the improper and unenforceable 30.06 signs on governmental buildings as per the original HB 508.

The millions of honest Texas gun owners and more than a half million CHL’s will eagerly await their opportunity to support you for your efforts in these matters.

Respectfully and with warm regards

cwood
xxxStreet
Austin,TX
512-xxx-xxxx

McKnife
Posts in topic: 2

Post by McKnife »

Your fax to Governor Rick Perry at 5124631849 has been sent successfully!
Your fax included 1 page of coversheet with your text and 1 page of attached documents.
Let's keep it going, comrades!
:coolgleamA:

locke_n_load
Posts in topic: 2

Post by locke_n_load »

Sent and cross-posted at texasguntalk.com forums...
Here was my letter:

May 28, 2013

The Honorable Rick Perry
Governor of Texas
P.O. Box 12428
Austin, Texas

Re: Critical Rights for Texans

Dear Governor Perry:

My name is Carlyle Locke. I am an American, a Texan, an Eagle Scout, an Aggie, and a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment Rights. I have been doing my best to keep up with this session of legislation here in our great state, and I have seen many improvements to our rights. Removing the requirement for a renewal class for a CHL, reducing the hours from 10 to around 5 for a new CHL, making an unintentional failure to conceal a non-violation, and being able to display your weapon when force (not deadly force) is required, are all great achievements.

However, I believe that Texas still has a long way to go before we are where we should be for our rights. I know that you have been encouraging many gun companies to come to Texas, which is great, and our personal rights for owning and using those weapons should be welcome too. I am a strong supporter of the Constitutional Right to Carry, as many other states have. However, I know that our legislature is not 100% behind this yet, and needs more time to be convinced. In the meantime, though, I believe that there are steps we can take to get closer to this goal. There has been one congressman from El Paso who has kept many bills from even going to a vote, effectively killing those bills which need to be read and voted on. The following issues need to be addressed before this special session ends:

1. Comprehensive campus-carry;
2. Elimination of virtually all remaining off-limits areas for Texas concealed handgun licensees (HB3218)
3. Prohibition on the use of unenforceable 30.06 signs by governmental entities and agencies (HB508)
4. Open carry for CHL holders (HB700).

These matters are of critical importance to law-abiding Texas gun owners who have fallen victim to a failed power play by the Texas Senate and the refusal of Chairman Pickett to allow votes on several firearms-related bills. I am confident that the millions of gun owners in Texas will long remember and reward your support of their needs at this critical time. Thank you for calling this special session so that we can further expand the rights that we deserve.

Thanks and Gig'em,
Carlyle Locke '10
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

CWOOD

Post by CWOOD »

We are keeping the FAX line busy. Good work

Return to “2013 Texas Legislative Session”