Letter to Governor Rick Perry

This sub-forum will open for posting on Sept. 1, 2012.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

2firfun50
Posts in topic: 8

Re: Letter to Governor Rick Perry

Post by 2firfun50 »

Here is the body of the FAX I just sent to the governor. I included by recent encounter with an illegal sign just to emphasize the point. Maybe all of us should relate personal experiences with signs.
On May 24th, my wife and I were out running errands preparing for the Memorial Day celebrations. We stopped by the Town Centre to pay our water bill. Both being law abiding CHL holders, (I’m a certified CHL instructor) we secured our firearms in the vehicle. We know the City Centre containing the library and water department is improperly posted with a noncompliant 30.06 sign. Since we do not have the political or financial means to take on City Hall (we’ve tried), we disarm to eliminate the possibility of false arrest.
After completing our business, we discussed how HB508 would provide us, and every law abiding Texan, the tools to secure our rights granted by the Texas Legislature.
I spend Sunday afternoon watching the live feed of the Senate and House sessions waiting for HB508 to come up on the agenda. I hope you can realize by disgust and disbelief when I realized the House/Senate had failed to strip the Senate Elitist amendment from the bill. If HB3218 and not been blocked in the House committee, there would have been no need for the Senate actions.
We have been encouraged by the Lt. Governor Dewhurst’s public comments to right this wrong in special session, however we need your help in including HB508, HB3218 and continued work on comprehensive campus carry like HB 972.
Mr Charles Cotton sent you an open letter which eloquently stated his disproval with the behaviour of the Texas Legislature this session. I can only second his statements as his displeasure are also my family’s.
You are our last hope in righting these wrongs. Please add HB 508, HB3218, and HB 972. Rights of law abiding Texans needs to be enhanced this year.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions you may have. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

JKTex
Posts in topic: 9

Post by JKTex »

CWOOD wrote:We are keeping the FAX line busy. Good work
I think it's a lot, like a whole lot, of many issues.

Locally a group is calling for parents to hammer the Governor with letters and calls to sign a bill that's already on his desk to be signed and there's no indication he was ever not going to sign it.

You get bored affluent parents involved, and they think everything is about what they want so they disregard logic and screw everything up. :)

I would hate to be any law maker right now, especially the Governor.

Tic Tac
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Tic Tac »

It sounds like a great opportunity to score points by being short and sweet.

tigerx2000tx
Posts in topic: 1

Post by tigerx2000tx »

Faxed, Emailed, and Called.

NEB

Post by NEB »

Locally a group is calling for parents to hammer the Governor with letters and calls to sign a bill that's already on his desk to be signed and there's no indication he was ever not going to sign it.
The irony is that he doesn't even have to sign it. He can let it sit on his desk, and after 10 days of transmittal, it automatically becomes law without his signature. His signature is more a political statement. It can be used to endorse or point out things he was for, but if a bill gets passed that he doesn't necessarily like, but doesn't want to veto, he can just let it sit and it will become law without his signature. If the bill was given to him with less than 10 days in the session, he actually has 20 days to act or not act.

More importantly than signing or not signing, if he want to VETO something, it has be carried out within 10 (or 20) days of transmittal.

--NEB

function12

Post by function12 »

Faxing my letter now.
NRA Super Life Benefactor Member
PSC Member

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 11

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Thanks for responding to this call folks, it is having an impact. I can't say more now, but trust me -- I'm a lawyer. :smilelol5:

Chas.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

I faxed the following [fax line is busy]:
May 29, 2013

The Honorable Richard “Rick” Perry
Governor of Texas
P.O. Box 12428
Austin, Texas 78711-2428

Re: Critical NRA gun rights bills

Dear Governor Perry:

I am writing to you in regard of Critical Gun rights bills. I would like to express my deepest support and appreciation for Mr. Charles Cotton letter sent to you on May 28, 2013.
Mr. Cotton has been for more 2 decades active in restoring our Constitutional 2nd Amendment rights, the right of people to keep and bear arms.
Cordially, please, accept my request and encouragement to add the following subject matter to the special-session call:
1. Comprehensive campus-carry;
2. Elimination of virtually all remaining off-limits areas for Texas concealed handgun licensees (HB3218); and
3. Prohibition on the use of unenforceable 30.06 signs by governmental entities and agencies (HB508).

These matters are of critical importance to law-abiding Texas gun owners who have fallen victim to a failed power play by the Texas Senate and the refusal of Chairman Pickett to allow votes on several firearms-related bills.
Like many millions gun owners in Texas, I will long remember and reward your support of our gun rights at this critical time.

Best regards and appreciation,
....[Work signature]
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

DocV

Post by DocV »

And I sent:
May 28, 2013

The Honorable Richard “Rick” Perry
Governor of Texas
P.O. Box 12428
Austin, Texas 78711-2428

Subject: Special Session and gun rights bills

Dear Governor Perry:

I am aware that Charles Cotton wrote to you to request the addition of three critical gun rights bills in the forthcoming Special Session. I strongly support Mr. Cotton’s request and am optimistic that Texans can count on your support for their gun rights.

As a university professor and CHL holder I see a comprehensive campus-carry bill as being essential. It seems illogical to restrict law-abiding citizens from being able to protect themselves and their families anywhere, including in the classroom.

HB3218 would have implemented a sensible approach to furthering the rights of Texans by extending CHL’s rights to carry In some areas that are currently forbidden. None of these areas are inherently without risks and granting honest law-abiding Texans the ability to protect themselves in these areas will make these areas safer for all.

Thank you for your service to Texas and the Nation.

Respectfully,
......, PhD

Wes
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Wes »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Thanks for responding to this call folks, it is having an impact. I can't say more now, but trust me -- I'm a lawyer. :smilelol5:

Chas.
Glad it's helping! Two more from people I know on their way.
Alliance Arsenal - Firearms and transfers in north Ft. Worth

AggieLCP

Post by AggieLCP »

Message sent to Gov. Perry's office. :txflag:

terryg

Post by terryg »

Thank you Mr. Cotton for pushing this issues. Thank you to all who answered the call. I only wish I has seen this thread yesterday. Here is the letter I faxed:
Governor Rick Perry
Office of the Governor
State Insurance Bldg
1100 San Jacinto
Austin TX 78701
Fax: 512-463-1849

Dear Governor Perry,

I wanted to add my name to the growing list of those requesting the addition of several gun and liberty related measures to the 2013 special legislative session. Mr. Charles Cotton has submitted a list of 3 items that I believe warrant consideration during this special session:

1. Comprehensive campus-carry
2. Elimination of virtually all remaining off-limits areas for Texas concealed handgun licensees (HB3218)
3. Prohibition on the use of unenforceable 30.06 signs by governmental entities and agencies (HB508)

As a U.S. Marine Corps and Desert Storm veteran, I took an oath to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, including the second amendment. I believe these measures do exactly that; support and help restore the liberties guaranteed in the Constitution.

As a CHL holder and a staff member of well known university, every day I am forced to confront an enigma. As I drive to and from work, I am vetted and fully trusted by the Great State of Texas to carry a firearm for my own personal protection. But the moment I park and exit my vehicle and head toward my office, that trust evaporates. These arbitrary boundaries serve no purpose other than to make a few people ‘feel’ safer.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions. Thank you for your time and service to Texas.

Sincerely,
... this space intentionally left blank ...

jimtexas68

Post by jimtexas68 »

AEA wrote:
Wes wrote:Very nice letter, hopefully we get something going.

anything wrong with using one of these free online fax services like myfax.com or faxzero.com?
I just used faxzero.com :thumbs2:
"Your fax to Gov. Rick Perry at 5124631849 has been sent successfully!"

Hey thanks for the tip. I just sent the same with faxzero.com

RCP

Post by RCP »

I sent one as well :thumbs2:

J.R.@A&M
Posts in topic: 6

Post by J.R.@A&M »

CWOOD wrote:We are keeping the FAX line busy. Good work
Still the case on Thursday at 6:30 a.m.

Dear j.r.,

Your fax to Hon. Rick Perry at 5124631849 has failed because the receiver's phone was busy 5 times in a row.

Thank you,
FaxZero.com
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

Return to “2013 Texas Legislative Session”