Sorry TSRA, No Dewhurst for me.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Heartland Patriot

Re: Sorry TSRA, No Dewhurst for me.

Post by Heartland Patriot »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
baldeagle wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:You have no idea what Dewhurst has done to make sure pro-gun legislation got votes in the Senate. If you want to support Cruz, then do so, but don't demean what the Lt. Governor has done for Texas gun owners.

Chas.
Charles, with all due respect, I monitored the last legislative session closely. When the Campus Carry bill came out of committee, Dewhurst did absolutely nothing to get it to the floor of the Senate. This allowed the opposition time to marshall their troops and defeat a bill that has passed that very same Senate just two years ago. I was very disappointed with his behavior, and there is no way I could support him. (And please don't tell me he didn't have the power to get that bill to the floor whenever he chose to. He chose not to push it, for whatever reason, and I can't forgive him for that.)
I'm not sure what legislature you were monitoring, but it wasn't the Texas Legislature. The House version (Rep. Driver) HB750 died in the House Calendar's Committee so it never got to the Senate. Sen. Wentworth's SB354 was reported out of the Senate Criminal Justice Committee on April 5th and it was set on the Senate Intent Calendar the very next day (April 6th)! On April 7th, Sen. Wentworth moved to suspend the regular order of business so SB354 could be voted, but it was withdrawn when one of the Senator's who said they would vote with him stabbed Sen. Wentworth in the back. From then on, Sen. Wentworth tried to put together 21 votes to bring it up again and he couldn't do it. He finally called for a vote again on May 20th and again he fell short of the needed 21 votes. Lt. Gov. Dewhurst most certainly did do everything he could; he allowed it to come up twice and would have allowed it to come up even more, but Sen. Wentworth didn't request it because that's not how you try to get 21 votes.

Chas.

Here's the proof: http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLook ... Bill=SB354" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
So, the real below-the-belt blow was that one Senator who backed out? Not a lack of effort from Lt. Gov. Dewhurst. This stuff becomes really hard to follow if you aren't able to watch each and every bill progress day by day. Thank you for the clarification.

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 2

Post by baldeagle »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I'm not sure what legislature you were monitoring, but it wasn't the Texas Legislature. The House version (Rep. Driver) HB750 died in the House Calendar's Committee so it never got to the Senate. Sen. Wentworth's SB354 was reported out of the Senate Criminal Justice Committee on April 5th and it was set on the Senate Intent Calendar the very next day (April 6th)! On April 7th, Sen. Wentworth moved to suspend the regular order of business so SB354 could be voted, but it was withdrawn when one of the Senator's who said they would vote with him stabbed Sen. Wentworth in the back. From then on, Sen. Wentworth tried to put together 21 votes to bring it up again and he couldn't do it. He finally called for a vote again on May 20th and again he fell short of the needed 21 votes. Lt. Gov. Dewhurst most certainly did do everything he could; he allowed it to come up twice and would have allowed it to come up even more, but Sen. Wentworth didn't request it because that's not how you try to get 21 votes.

Chas.

Here's the proof: http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLook ... Bill=SB354" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I was wrong. I was thinking of the House, where the bill never made it out of the Calendar Committee. My apologies.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Jasonw560
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jasonw560 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
baldeagle wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:You have no idea what Dewhurst has done to make sure pro-gun legislation got votes in the Senate. If you want to support Cruz, then do so, but don't demean what the Lt. Governor has done for Texas gun owners.

Chas.
Charles, with all due respect, I monitored the last legislative session closely. When the Campus Carry bill came out of committee, Dewhurst did absolutely nothing to get it to the floor of the Senate. This allowed the opposition time to marshall their troops and defeat a bill that has passed that very same Senate just two years ago. I was very disappointed with his behavior, and there is no way I could support him. (And please don't tell me he didn't have the power to get that bill to the floor whenever he chose to. He chose not to push it, for whatever reason, and I can't forgive him for that.)
I'm not sure what legislature you were monitoring, but it wasn't the Texas Legislature. The House version (Rep. Driver) HB750 died in the House Calendar's Committee so it never got to the Senate. Sen. Wentworth's SB354 was reported out of the Senate Criminal Justice Committee on April 5th and it was set on the Senate Intent Calendar the very next day (April 6th)! On April 7th, Sen. Wentworth moved to suspend the regular order of business so SB354 could be voted, but it was withdrawn when one of the Senator's who said they would vote with him stabbed Sen. Wentworth in the back. From then on, Sen. Wentworth tried to put together 21 votes to bring it up again and he couldn't do it. He finally called for a vote again on May 20th and again he fell short of the needed 21 votes. Lt. Gov. Dewhurst most certainly did do everything he could; he allowed it to come up twice and would have allowed it to come up even more, but Sen. Wentworth didn't request it because that's not how you try to get 21 votes.

Chas.

And, unfortunately, that backstabber is running unopposed, even after I and a few other people begged someone who we viewed as a "shoo-in" to run against him.
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

Return to “2012 Texas & Federal Elections”