2014 Primary Polling shows Cornyn may be on the ropes

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Cedar Park Dad
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Re: 2014 Primary Polling shows Cornyn may be on the ropes

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

paperchunker wrote:
mojo84 wrote:I know there will be mixed feelings on this and who should win the Republican nomination. My intent is to bring it to people's attention and encourage people to get informed and vote!

http://www.theblaze.com/contributions/t ... -below-50/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Charles, Can we get a 2014 Texas & Federal Elections category?
I think "The Blaze" and Glenn Beck are about as reliable a source as Alex Jones and Infowars "rlol"
From the article, I don't think Cornyn is losing sleep:
"According to the current Gravis survey, Sen. Cornyn leads Rep. Stockman only 43 to 28 percent. " Thats a 15 point lead.

Topic author
mojo84
Posts in topic: 10

Post by mojo84 »

Cedar Park Dad wrote:
paperchunker wrote:
mojo84 wrote:I know there will be mixed feelings on this and who should win the Republican nomination. My intent is to bring it to people's attention and encourage people to get informed and vote!

http://www.theblaze.com/contributions/t ... -below-50/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think "The Blaze" and Glenn Beck are about as reliable a source as Alex Jones and Infowars "rlol"
"According to the current Gravis survey, Sen. Cornyn leads Rep. Stockman only 43 to 28 percent. " Thats a 15 point lead.
I think you missed the point of the article. If Cornyn does not win the nomination by a majority, 50%+ of the vote, he will be in a runoff. Then he will may be facing the Stockman plus the other candidates voters. I have a feeling Cornyn is more concerned about it then you realize. Right now his oppositions votes are split and diluted. Once that is not the case, I suspect the spread is much closer. ;-)
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

cb1000rider
Posts in topic: 1

Post by cb1000rider »

paperchunker wrote: I think "The Blaze" and Glenn Beck are about as reliable a source as Alex Jones and Infowars "rlol"
Wow.. Someone that sees both sides! Kudos.

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 3

Post by baldeagle »

I think if it comes down to a runoff Cornyn wins. What has Stockman done, other than lie about Cornyn's record? When Cornyn only has him to concentrate on, I expect his responses will be tailored to taking Stockman down. Some of these fights seem rather silly to me. I can see why someone would want to replace Pete Sessions, but Cornyn? You trade experience for inexperience and not much else. You can't get too much to the right of Cornyn without falling off the cliff.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Just back from early voting for Stovall.

(because I like his haircut :mrgreen: )
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

mojo84 wrote:
Cedar Park Dad wrote:
paperchunker wrote:

I think you missed the point of the article. If Cornyn does not win the nomination by a majority, 50%+ of the vote, he will be in a runoff. Then he will may be facing the Stockman plus the other candidates voters. I have a feeling Cornyn is more concerned about it then you realize. Right now his oppositions votes are split and diluted. Once that is not the case, I suspect the spread is much closer. ;-)
Then he will be in a runoff. Politicians should have to work hard to keep their nifty little jobs.

But remember boys and girls, if the Senate goes to the Republicans, Cornyn's position will be very strong as Sr. Texas Senator, and can influence Second and non Second Amendment legislation accordingly. Stockman will be a fish senator with no chairmanships or influence.

Topic author
mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Cedar Park Dad wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
Cedar Park Dad wrote:
paperchunker wrote:

Then he will be in a runoff. Politicians should have to work hard to keep their nifty little jobs.

But remember boys and girls, if the Senate goes to the Republicans, Cornyn's position will be very strong as Sr. Texas Senator, and can influence Second and non Second Amendment legislation accordingly. Stockman will be a fish senator with no chairmanships or influence.

How does this support your comment that you don't think Cornyn is losing any sleep? The whole article is about the potential for a runoff. And when he does, he will be competing against Stockman's and Stovall's supporters. There are a lot of people that do not agree with how Cornyn is going along with the establishment republicans. Especially with him not fighting the latest debt ceiling increase. I think many people are underestimating just how fed up a lot of people are with the business as usual old guard business as usual republicans.

I'm not advocating for any of the candidates in this post. Just pointing out the situation.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

paperchunker
Posts in topic: 2

Post by paperchunker »

I believe Cornyn would win a solid majority in a closed Republican primary, but there are races on the ballot like the District 92 legislature race where a dyed in the wool Liberal is encouraging Democrats and Teachers Union members to cross over and vote for him to defeat the conservative incumbent. He is running the nastiest race I have seen in a while ( and I have seen a few). If they show up for this race they can mess up the other races while they are at it. Todays paper showed turn out so far at 15K in Republican primary and 7K in Democrat. I know R's outnumber D's in Tarrant County, but not by 2 to 1 :banghead: :banghead:
NRA/LTC Instructor
NRA Patriot Life- Endowment Member

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

How does this support your comment that you don't think Cornyn is losing any sleep? The whole article is about the potential for a runoff. And when he does, he will be competing against Stockman's and Stovall's supporters. There are a lot of people that do not agree with how Cornyn is going along with the establishment republicans. Especially with him not fighting the latest debt ceiling increase. I think many people are underestimating just how fed up a lot of people are with the business as usual old guard business as usual republicans.

I'm not advocating for any of the candidates in this post. Just pointing out the situation.

University of Tesas/Teaxas Tribune poll has Cornyn massively ahead.
U.S. Sen. John Cornyn, facing a field of seven other Republican primary candidates in his bid for re-election, won the support of 62 percent of the likely Republican primary voters, followed by U.S. Rep. Steve Stockman, R-Friendswood, who got 16 percent. Support for the rest was in single digits: Linda Vega, 7 percent; Dwayne Stovall and Ken Cope, 4 percent each; Reid Reasor and Chris Mapp, 3 percent each; and Curt Cleaver, 1 percent.
http://www.texastribune.org/2014/02/24/ ... ver-davis/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Topic author
mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Cedar Park Dad wrote:

University of Tesas/Teaxas Tribune poll has Cornyn massively ahead.
U.S. Sen. John Cornyn, facing a field of seven other Republican primary candidates in his bid for re-election, won the support of 62 percent of the likely Republican primary voters, followed by U.S. Rep. Steve Stockman, R-Friendswood, who got 16 percent. Support for the rest was in single digits: Linda Vega, 7 percent; Dwayne Stovall and Ken Cope, 4 percent each; Reid Reasor and Chris Mapp, 3 percent each; and Curt Cleaver, 1 percent.
http://www.texastribune.org/2014/02/24/ ... ver-davis/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
So, you are talking about a completely different poll than the one referenced in the original post. Guess it depends on which ones Cornyn and his people want to go by then. It help to share from what you are basing your comments when they differ from what is being used as the original basis of a discussion.

Not interested in arguing which poll is correct.

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

I was originally talking about the original poll discussed. Its nonsensical to say, when one opponent has a double digit lead on another, that "oh he's in trouble!" The article is willingly being blind to the actual situation.

Topic author
mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Oh, okay!

Jason K
Banned

Post by Jason K »

baldeagle wrote:I think if it comes down to a runoff Cornyn wins. What has Stockman done, other than lie about Cornyn's record?
According to this, quite a bit....

http://votesmart.org/candidate/21703/st ... w3pVT8tEm8

Topic author
mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

No need to be concerned with this race. According to some, Cornyn has it locked up and id a shoe in.

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 3

Post by baldeagle »

mojo84 wrote:There are a lot of people that do not agree with how Cornyn is going along with the establishment republicans. Especially with him not fighting the latest debt ceiling increase.
Cornyn voted against the debt ceiling increase, so you must be referring to the procedural vote that eliminated the filibuster. That's a strategic vote, not a substance vote. Cornyn disagrees with Cruz that every debt ceiling increase should include a filibuster. Given the results of the previous one, I'd say there's room for an argument that it doesn't accomplish much and gives the Democrats fodder for claiming the Republicans are obstructionists. That may not matter in Texas, but it could make the difference in a close race in other places. Cornyn is aware of that, and since Cruz is carrying the filibuster standard, it may be wise for Cornyn to appear more moderate in those matters.

Claiming Cornyn is going along with the establishment Republicans is a bit far-fetched given his voting record. He voted no on the debt ceiling increase, unemployment compensation extension, consolidated appropriations act, to release quantanamo inmates, etc., etc., etc.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Return to “2012 Texas & Federal Elections”