Accuracy 1st’s Todd Hodnett Shares Long-Range Shooting Secrets

General training discussions and class reviews.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Paladin »

Dallas Alexander a Canadian and the current record holder the World's Farthest Sniper Kill credit's Accuracy 1st for teaching him how to hit at extreme long range.

It's worth noting that Accuracy 1st is located in Texas :txflag:
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

philip964
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Accuracy 1st’s Todd Hodnett Shares Long-Range Shooting Secrets

Post by philip964 »

Paladin wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 1:53 pm Accuracy 1st’s Todd Hodnett Shares Long-Range Shooting Secrets

Dallas Alexander a Canadian and the current record holder the World's Farthest Sniper Kill credit's Accuracy 1st for teaching him how to hit at extreme long range.

It's worth noting that Accuracy 1st is located in Texas :txflag:
Cool article, thanks for posting

Mike S
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Mike S »

Todd Hodnett is the real deal. He is humble, but when he starts a block of instruction about how he uses "simple Cowboy Math" for his formulas, then starts talking about cosine of this, & cosine of that, you realize that his mind is going about as fast as he speaks!

And the way he has the 285* range set up on a plateau is genius. You end up shooting some targets from multiple firing points but at different distances, and there's something like three ridgelines criss-crossing around that plateau so almost every firing position has a slightly different wind pattern and gusts flowing over / around the terrain. .

I don't know if Todd teaches civilians now, but he does have an affiliate (a retired S.F. SGM) that teaches classes to civilians under the umbrella of Accuracy 1st at the Austin Gun Club in Lampasas. I taught a private lesson for a fundraiser at the Austin Gun Club years back, & it was a really nice setup. Steel gongs & LaRue auto-resetting targets, with one lane going out to a mile.

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Paladin »

Mike S wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 10:05 pm Todd Hodnett is the real deal. He is humble, but when he starts a block of instruction about how he uses "simple Cowboy Math" for his formulas, then starts talking about cosine of this, & cosine of that, you realize that his mind is going about as fast as he speaks!

And the way he has the 285* range set up on a plateau is genius. You end up shooting some targets from multiple firing points but at different distances, and there's something like three ridgelines criss-crossing around that plateau so almost every firing position has a slightly different wind pattern and gusts flowing over / around the terrain. .

I don't know if Todd teaches civilians now, but he does have an affiliate (a retired S.F. SGM) that teaches classes to civilians under the umbrella of Accuracy 1st at the Austin Gun Club in Lampasas. I taught a private lesson for a fundraiser at the Austin Gun Club years back, & it was a really nice setup. Steel gongs & LaRue auto-resetting targets, with one lane going out to a mile.
I'd first heard of him with MAGPUL's Art of the Precision Rifle and while I had previously had Army Designated Marksman training there was a lot that Todd Hodnett said that blew my mind.

I don't think you can get better creds than this interview:

He is world class and also is a big fan of Texas based LaRue.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Return to “General”