Virtual Tactical Academy?

General training discussions and class reviews.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 3

Virtual Tactical Academy?

Post by Paladin »

Looks like this is out of Houston. Has anybody tried this yet? Virtual Tactical Academy
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

philip964
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Virtual Tactical Academy?

Post by philip964 »

So would this be with the new Apple headset or the Occulus Quest headset?

Could be interesting.

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

Yikes, if it requires a $3500 gizmo it won't be for me.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

From what I'm understanding the instructor provides the equipment. It seems he does large groups centered around a projected screen. Perhaps an improvement over the old LE "FATS" system. Perhaps more decision oriented than the Army EST
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

No familiarity with it, but the owner, Austin Davis, also owns Kangaroo Carry Holsters and has evidently been a commissioned peace officer with TCOLE since 1995. He lives in or is based out of Pearland. Wonder if he's a PSC member?

The C/CAT Laser Shot system--at least the portable, for-sale version--looks a little rinky-dink to me...maybe because it comes with only two complete "barriers: and it seems to me that, for any realistic scenarios, it would require much more. They probably don't use the basic-only setup in the classes, though; dunno.

The other thing that's off-putting is that they offer no pricing of any kind on the website and no existing class schedules that I can find. The only option seems to be to a web email form to send them your contact info and proceed from there.

But I do admit that some sort of non-projectile, 360° simulated force-on-force training is pretty intriguing if it could be done well.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

I was at the Fort Worth Police and Fire Training facility last year as part of the Texas Citizens On Patrol conference and the had a 360 virtual training set up. I didn't realize I had my NRA shirt on and the instructor asked me if I wanted to have a go. I had done something similar as part of my Citizens Police Academy training so I told him to let someone else do it. He ran a couple of scenarios with no "student" just to give everyone a sense of what it would look like. Very real. Two different people tried it and both failed to fire their weapon in time and one never raised it. The first was a knife wielding thug and the second was a vehicle stop.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

I tried this and some other shooting simulators out at an NRA Annual meeting and really like them: Smokeless Range® Training Simulator

The price for the base package isn't bad: $569.05 The add on packages that you'd really want cost a lot more.

Unfortunately I'd really need a home theater room to actually set that up in my house.

Return to “General”