Insights Training: Street & Vehicle Tactics

General training discussions and class reviews.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
apostate
Posts in topic: 3

Insights Training: Street & Vehicle Tactics

Post by apostate » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:48 pm

Insights Training is teaching their Street & Vehicle Tactics class in Texas this year. Twice! They will be in DFW 3-4 May and in the Austin area 4-5 October. www.insightstraining.com
This course deals with self defense while at work, in your automobile, when traveling, and while in public settings (restaurants, shopping, theaters, etc.). The course deals with awareness of how street crimes are committed, spotting and avoiding common crimes, the tactics that prevent confrontations (verbal skills, body language, tactical positioning, and minimizing target indicators) and with those necessary to win if it comes to physical violence (use of cover, maneuver, knowledge of danger areas).
I did the SVT class with my fiancée in Austin several years ago. This is an excellent class for anyone with a CHL, and especially useful for our loved ones who do not yet carry. Street & Vehicle Tactics is not a shooting class. Gun handling and marksmanship skills are Good Things (and Insights offers a number of classes with plenty of trigger time) but the focus of this class is how to avoid the need to pull the trigger. This is what makes it such a wonderful class to take with a spouse or adult child who isn't a shooter, and who doesn't want to spend 10 hours a day on a shooting range. It's about mindset and mental skills to help them stay safe and -- who knows? -- perhaps even get them thinking about carrying.

Street & Vehicle Tactics also includes tactics related to the use of force. For example, when I took it we did force on force scenarios with sims, although I think they may use airsoft these days. Finally, the course covers a number of "after action" issues, both short term and longer in scope.
I'm too old for this...

yerasimos
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Insights Training: Street & Vehicle Tactics

Post by yerasimos » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:19 pm

I have had my eye upon the Dallas class for a while. A couple questions:

1. Do you know who will be the Insights instructor?

2. Do you know who is hosting the class/providing the venue?

I noticed their Tactical First Aid class positioned the day before the Dallas SVT.

Topic author
apostate

Post by apostate » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:56 am

yerasimos wrote:1. Do you know who will be the Insights instructor?
I don't. If you call Insights they could probably tell you. I believe they don't tend to cast things in concrete too far ahead of time, but they should probably have a pretty good idea now... given that the class is next month. ;-)
yerasimos wrote:2. Do you know who is hosting the class/providing the venue?

I believe the host for the DFW area class is Paul Gomez but I'm not 100% sure. (I have no relationship with Insights other than as a well satisfied customer/student.)

KR Training is hosting the Austin class.
I'm too old for this...

Topic author
apostate

Post by apostate » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:07 pm

I'm back from the 3-day Street & Vehicle Tactics class on Insights Training's home turf in the beautiful Pacific Nothwest. It was an oustanding class and I highly recommend it, even if you can only do the 2-day version offered on the road at host facilities. What did we cover?

Day 1 Theory: reaction time; body language; group dynamics; rapport; geographic and cultural differences
Day 1 Practicum: exiting vehicles under fire, forward and rear, driver and passenger side; reactionary gap; knife threat at different distances; knife v gun - dummy guns

Day 2 Theory: ooda loop; corners, doors, rooms; Jeff Cooper - mental conditioning; visualization; verbalization ; managing people - suspects, witnesses, police; 3 rings of safety; aftermath - legal and social
Day 2 Practicum: fighting inside vehicles; knife v gun at different distances - airsoft; slicing the pie; quick peek; verbalization; managing suspects; carjacking - variations on a theme

Day 3 Theory: combat power; more group dynamics - crowds; Mas Ayoob - physiological responses; criminals at work
Day 3 Practicum: managing suspects (review); managing suspects & witnesses & police; muggings - multiple assailants; scenarios - force on force with airsoft

We touched on many other things as well, but that's the 10,000' view of my notes.

Class schedules: (West Coast = WA; East Coast is on the road, including TX)
http://www.insightstraining.com/us/docs ... ed2008.pdf
http://www.insightstraining.com/us/docs ... ed2008.pdf
I'm too old for this...

Return to “General”