NRA Personal Protection Inside the Home Course at PSC

General training discussions and class reviews.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

NRA Personal Protection Inside the Home Course at PSC

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I'll be teaching an NRA Basis Personal Protection Inside the Home Course at PSC Shooting Club on FM528 in Friendswood. The first 3 hours of the course will be the legal portion on Friday, August 1st from 6:00pm until 9:00pm. The rest of the course will be on Saturday, August 2nd from 8:00am until 4:00pm.

This course is a prerequisite for the NRA Basic Personal Protection Outside the Home Course.

Course Fee: $100 for PSC members; $175 for non-members. 50% deposit due upon registration.

Please send me an email if you would like to join us. Charles@TexasShooting.com

Chas.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Re: NRA Personal Protection Inside the Home Course at PSC

Post by WildBill »

I would like to give Charles a free plug for his PPIH course. Take it. You will be glad you did. :thumbs2:

Even though this class is not geared toward CHL, it covers the basics of using firearms for personal protection. It is a good way to learn, plan and practice strategies for protecting yourself and your family. It's also a good course for people who don't want to get a CHL, but have guns at home for protection. It's also a great way to do something useful while waiting for your plastic. :hurry:
NRA Endowment Member

lawrnk
Posts in topic: 1

Post by lawrnk »

I'd like to put something out about this in our community forum. Anyone have some "brouchureish description" I can send out?
Member- TSRA
Life Member- NRA

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

lawrnk wrote:I'd like to put something out about this in our community forum. Anyone have some "brouchureish description" I can send out?
I'll put something together by this weekend.

Thanks,
Chas.

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

WildBill wrote:I would like to give Charles a free plug for his PPIH course. Take it. You will be glad you did. :thumbs2:
:iagree: I think the NRA PPIH and PPOH courses are excellent supplements for CHLers, whether you intend to go on to other advanced training or not. You simply can't beat the value for the money, and you have the opportunity to get instruction from a highly qualified guy who brings a unique perspective (Charles, don't go take down the page, now ;-) )

http://www.texasshooting.com/NRA/CLC_election_bio.htm
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

MrsFosforos

Post by MrsFosforos »

Skiprr wrote:
WildBill wrote:I would like to give Charles a free plug for his PPIH course. Take it. You will be glad you did. :thumbs2:
:iagree: I think the NRA PPIH and PPOH courses are excellent supplements for CHLers, whether you intend to go on to other advanced training or not. You simply can't beat the value for the money, and you have the opportunity to get instruction from a highly qualified guy who brings a unique perspective.
We finished the NRA PPIH course yesterday and I can't agree more! This was the best use of a weekend we've spent in some time!!

Thank you Charles and Marc (and Eric for helping us at the range)! We can't wait to see you again next month at the Forum Day!

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

MrsFosforos wrote:We finished the NRA PPIH course yesterday and I can't agree more! This was the best use of a weekend we've spent in some time!! Thank you Charles and Marc (and Eric for helping us at the range)! We can't wait to see you again next month at the Forum Day!
I didn't want to tell you before, but the Personal Protection Outside the Home (PPOP) is even better. :mrgreen:
NRA Endowment Member

MrsFosforos

Post by MrsFosforos »

WildBill wrote:
MrsFosforos wrote:We finished the NRA PPIH course yesterday and I can't agree more! This was the best use of a weekend we've spent in some time!! Thank you Charles and Marc (and Eric for helping us at the range)! We can't wait to see you again next month at the Forum Day!
I didn't want to tell you before, but the Personal Protection Outside the Home (PPOP) is even better. :mrgreen:
We'll be back!

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Thanks for the kind words and I want to say thanks to everyone who came to the class.

Now I have a confession. Due to an Excel spreadsheet formula error (my fault), the seminar and the PPIH class were much larger than intended. By the time I found the error, I had already sent email confirmations to far more people for both the seminar and the class than I planned. The PPOH class will be limited to 12 people.

Actually, Friday and Saturday were a case-study in Murphy's law. I was sick as a dog Friday morning, but we had 76 people registered for the seminar that evening, so canceling it was not an option. I was feeling a little better by the time the seminar started (thank God, literally), but I was still wishing I could bump the schedule by a week.

6:00am Saturday morning came and I was feeling pretty lousy. While setting up the classroom, we learned that the speakers we use for three short video clips weren't working. Then my computer went belly-up and we had to switch to Marc's laptop. After about an hour and a half in the classroom, we hit the range for 3 1/2 hrs. It was HOT!!! Almost everyone was feeling the heat and it certainly didn't help the way I felt. After a lunch break, we found out the a/c in the classroom was going out; just what we needed after coming off a 100 degree range. The classroom was about 85 degrees for the rest of the day.

After the class was over, we packed up and went home. After a long cold shower, I read the class evaluation forms and was surprised that no one complained about the hot classroom, or the almost unbearable heat on the range. As always, we got good feedback from those in attendance and a common suggestion is the inclusion of more range time and more drills. One gentleman said the class was too large and I wholeheartedly agree!

When teaching NRA courses, we have to stick with the "official" lesson plan. Although we do throw in a few off-menu items, we don't have a lot of latitude to add material that exceeds the scope of the course as written. This is understandable, since the NRA is putting its name on the course.

Since I can't add much to the PPIH Course, I'm going to offer a 4 hour defensive shooting clinic that will focus on shooting drills that are particularly applicable to self-defense. At this point, the clinic is only for people who have taken the NRA Personal Protection Inside the Home Course from me. There will be no charge for the clinic and it will be limited to 10 people. I will do as many of these as is necessary to accommodate anyone who has taken the PPIH course from me.

Thanks for coming folks, thanks for the feedback, and don't forget to practice the drills the NRA developed for this course.

Chas.

Papabear37

Post by Papabear37 »

Will there be any more PPIH classes taught by Mr. Cotton after the May 1 date? Unfortunately, I will be out of town then. Hopefully, there will be more.
Thanks,
Vern

Return to “General”