ShivWorks AAR

General training discussions and class reviews.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
fm2
Posts in topic: 2

ShivWorks AAR

Post by fm2 »

Y'all shoulda been there! I had so much fun and learned a lot of great concepts.

This past weekend I had the opportunity to participate in SouthNarc's PUC, and ECQC 1 & 2 . This class is even better than the last iteration I took. I was happy to meet & train with some folks from this board. We worked hard, learned some new skills and practiced their application. I know I was feeling the tiredness and sense of true accomplishment on the drive home.

I really believe this is MUST HAVE training.

"We spent the first half of each day on the range, working dry and live fire drills. We learned the combative drawstroke and shooting from "2" through a progression (based on proximity of threat) of extension and compression.

Shooting from a fending position
Shooting from a fending position
The second half of each day involved learning then applying MUC, combatives, weapons access/retention/disarms from in holster & drawn, standing and grounded positions, etc. These skills and concepts were then practiced in a series of live drills and force-on-force evolutions.
Working for position while grounded
Working for position while grounded
Gun grappling in holster
Gun grappling in holster
“It is the belief that violence is an aberration that is dangerous because it lulls us into forgetting how easily violence may erupt in quiescent places.” S. Pinker

Topic author
fm2
Posts in topic: 2

Re: ShivWorks AAR

Post by fm2 »

Working fending & the shooting from #2
Working fending & the shooting from #2
We were also lucky to have some bonus vehicle evolutions (VBJJ=vehicle Brazilian jiu jitsu). This was a definite eye opener and a great learning experience for everyone.
Care evolution under way
Care evolution under way

It gets real crowded, real fast.
It gets real crowded, real fast.

A few observations:

If the BG has hands on, it makes a huge difference in your gun handling decisions and defense options.

Shooting paper targets are a good start, but should not be the end of your handgun training.

If you really want to learn about defending yourself (or your loved ones) with a firearm, you need to be honest to the problem and then work toward solutions to solve the problem.
“It is the belief that violence is an aberration that is dangerous because it lulls us into forgetting how easily violence may erupt in quiescent places.” S. Pinker

AggieC05
Posts in topic: 1

Post by AggieC05 »

that looks incredibly informative
and FUN!!!!!!!! :woohoo

KaiserB
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by KaiserB »

Looks like some very practical training.

Return to “General”