Back from Prescott -Suarez AK review

General training discussions and class reviews.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Bill
Posts in topic: 1

Back from Prescott -Suarez AK review

Post by Bill »

very brief, I am tired

Back from Prescott and licking my wounds, I am to old, to broken, to Fat for this but I love it. There is noting like smoke coming off the barrel of a AK first thing in the morning.

Starting at 9:00am not 9:01 or you will be left behind is a Gabe thing, he does not like wasting other peoples money. The first part of the day was basic drill making sure everyone was on the same page, we were NOT. There were also about 4 AR shooters and because of different MOA Gabe has changed the rules. Only AK's in the AK class and you now have to take his 2 day basic AK class before the Advanced. I agree to this and so does a lot of other schools. Ever instructor runs thing differently and it cost to much class time relearning a new way.

The real meat of the course was movement drills, in all directions from all positions. Also using weak side shooting with these movement drills. You will become ambidextrous by the end of the course. How about slinging over your head to transition to pistol, its very fast and frees up the body for movement with pistol as opposed of having the rifle dangle in front in using a 1- point sling. We went over team tactics, moving to cover. Mainly it was AK handling and fighting skills, as I had to leave 2 hours short Sunday for my flight, the team stuff got more intense and some sort of Columbian gorilla warfare tactics were introduced.

I would be better prepared if I lost some weight, at 6,3 260 and should be 210. Add a lot of up and down ,some running and 6000ft ASL took its toll on this 52 year old with bad knees.

All in all I would say Gabe is a very good teacher, he is no bull kind of guy and is passionate about winning the fight. I look forward to his 3 day teaching class as I am planning to teach this next year. Not necessarily his method or anyone else's for that matter, maybe a little from each as I put together my own. Maybe the Geriatric crowd
retired CHL Instructor

Paladin
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Back from Prescott -Suarez AK review

Post by Paladin »

Bill wrote:All in all I would say Gabe is a very good teacher, he is no bull kind of guy and is passionate about winning the fight.
+1

I've trained with Gabe and he has a ton of knowledge and is unbelievably good at communicating that knowledge.

His Kalashnikov DVD's are well worth the money.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Return to “General”