Training in/around Austin?

General training discussions and class reviews.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Fox800
Posts in topic: 2

Training in/around Austin?

Post by Fox800 »

Can you guys recommend any places to take some intermediate/advanced firearms classes around Austin? I already know of KR Training. Unfortunately they're not having any intermediate/advanced pistol classes until a few months into 2010 I have a CHL but I've never taken any formal training, just taught myself. I'd like to initially work on grip, stance, marksmanship, trigger control, etc. After that I'd like to take some courses on shooting from cover, shooting under stress, speed reloading, etc...

dcphoto
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Training in/around Austin?

Post by dcphoto »

I don't know of anything else, other than CHL, around Austin. That said, I HIGHLY recommend KR Training. The classes I've taken have been fun, and I enjoyed learning from them. I plan on taking basic classes with my wife in April, and even thought my skill level is beyond the level of the class I still expect to learn something new and enjoy it.

As for there not being any classes right now, it's unavoidable. Their explanation to me is that they avoid classes during hunting season to prevent accidents, and to avoid upsetting a neighbors hunt with lots of shooting. Not to mention that the instructors want to go hunting as well.

Give Karl a call. He is very easy to talk to, and you might be able to convince him to offer some other classes earlier in 2010. While your at it, tell him to schedule them so they sync up with my schedule!

Bonc_CHL

Post by Bonc_CHL »

I would love to take some classes at KR also, I have heard so many good things about them!
With that said I took my CHL at Capitol Area Practical Shooting in Leander and the CHL class was very good, my BIL also just took it there a week or two ago and was pleased, I know they offer other classes also. I would not mind taking some there either, if you look into them let me know what you think and maybe I will join you for a class.

http://www.caps-chl.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Springfield XD40 Sub-compact
S&W Model 37

Topic author
Fox800

Post by Fox800 »

I signed up for CAPS Practical Pistol I on January 16 2010 if anyone wants to take it with me.

tomharkness

Post by tomharkness »

There are some advanced (sometimes over the top) defensive tactic classes that enclude pistols that you might consider. There is a guy at Fire Station #6 at 1705 South Congress that can help you with that. His name is Keller and he is a Lieutenant on C Shift. He can point you in the direction of some really good training. I would give you the phone number there, but I think that might cause problems for him. If you email me at firearms@scfh.net I can give you more information about how to contact him.
The Second Amendment is not about your Right to Keep and Bear Arms... it is about your Responsibility to the Security of a "Free State"!

HighHandicap
Posts in topic: 4

Post by HighHandicap »

Does anyone else know of additional training around the greater Austin area?

I'm familiar with the CAPS folks (did my CHL) and I'll probably take one or both of their "Practical Pistol" courses. I'd still like to see who else offers formal handgun/firearms training in the area. I've seen folks recommend KR training, but they're nearly 1.5 hours away.

RiverRat

Post by RiverRat »

The wife and I took two of Karl's courses, Beyond Basic Pistol and Defensive Hand Gun 1. It was very informative, lots of good information for us being old shooters with no formal training. My accuracy has improved with semi-auto handguns quite a bit due to the courses. One of the reasons we went was to get some concentrated time using our 1911's with lots of rounds, some stress and goals added. It really helped with our 1911 gun handling confidence. :thumbs2:
Life member NRA and TSRA

HighHandicap

Post by HighHandicap »

Does anyone want to try and get some pistol training in the weekend of August 7-8? If there are 4-6 of us, maybe one of the local trainers will do a private class for us?

Bonc_CHL

Post by Bonc_CHL »

Depends where you are located? And where you plan on taking the course. And always that really important one COST lol. Let me know
Springfield XD40 Sub-compact
S&W Model 37

ccoker

Post by ccoker »

Highly recommend KR training

Took the Defensive Pistol 1 and the Pistol Workout
Want to go back again soon

HighHandicap

Post by HighHandicap »

Charles,

I seem to run into you all over the place! I just signed up for the Basic Pistol 2 and Defensive Pistol Skills 1 courses on Aug 21st. I'm going to need to find a babysitter, but I'm going to try my hardest to actually attend those courses.

Do you make it out to any of the IDPA/USPSA matches at Austin Rifle Club?

Andiceman

Post by Andiceman »

HighHandicap

Post by HighHandicap »

Andiceman wrote:Here's another option: http://www.austinrfa.com/classes.htm
I haven't taking any training with these guys, but I have spoken to them. They seem like good guys and Mark is one of the Directors at the Austin Rifle Club which is also an option for training.

I'm going to give KR a shot an see how I like it. I only wish they had a more abundant class schedule for post-CHL training.

ccoker

Post by ccoker »

HighHandicap wrote:Charles,

I seem to run into you all over the place! I just signed up for the Basic Pistol 2 and Defensive Pistol Skills 1 courses on Aug 21st. I'm going to need to find a babysitter, but I'm going to try my hardest to actually attend those courses.

Do you make it out to any of the IDPA/USPSA matches at Austin Rifle Club?
Hi
I haven't done them yet, I have done IDPA and IPSC in the past and want to get back into some more competitions..

Return to “General”