Claude Werner Snub revolver class review

General training discussions and class reviews.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Claude Werner
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Claude Werner Snub revolver class review

Post by Claude Werner »

Thanks for the positive review. I am glad the class was useful.
yerasimos wrote: I ask this because in my experience with my J-frame, I do not believe my support hand (as I try to use it) really contributes much to controlling the weapon. It feels as though there is only enough space/room to put one hand on it, while the other one is just along "for the ride". Or I could be just doing it wrong (it would not be the first time for this).
Hard to say without watching you shoot but if your snub has the small factory grips and you have big hands, you may not be able to get much of the support hand on the gun itself.
yerasimos wrote:What, if anything, did Mr Werner have to say about simply placing a Big Dot sight on the front of a snubby revolver? Speaking for myself, I shudder at the thought of taking "hostage"-type, aim-small-miss-small shots with a short-barreled, coarsely-sighted weapon, though perhaps with additional practice I would be more confident in my skills at certain ranges.
I am not a big fan of the XS sights in general. However, my 640-1 has a Standard Dot XS sight on it and it is a noticeable improvement over the pathetic Baughman ramp that comes on most of these guns.

Personal Defense Network http://www.personaldefensenetwork.com/articles/browse/ will shortly be publishing an article I wrote on improving J-frame sights shortly. Plenty of pictures to explain how to make them better.

hsoi
Posts in topic: 3

Post by hsoi »

fm2 wrote:I found an AAR for the class from another student:
http://hsoiblog.wordpress.com/2010/03/0 ... de-werner/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hi.

I'm the "other student" that wrote that AAR. Haven't been active on this forum in a while... too many forums, not enough time.

But I did see that fm2 posted this and so I wanted to respond to a few things. I'll respond to each post in turn (don't know how much this forum's software cross-references).

hsoi

Post by hsoi »

davidtx wrote:Can you share the cost of this two day training? I looked on the Rogers Shooting School site you posted and couldn't find anything about snubby classes.
Actually Rogers does have snubby classes:

https://www.rogersshootingschool.com/cl ... .php?id=34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's scheduled for May 12-15, 2010. The description from the website:
Snubby Class starts 7:00 PM,Wednesday, May 12 and ends at 5:00 PM Saturday, May 15. We supply all guns and ammunition. We transition from .22 rimfire snub nose revolvers to .38 light loads to real loads. Tactics/techniques and lots of shooting.
I'm not sure how regular the offerings are, but point is that Rogers does offer them. No idea who teaches it tho.

hsoi

Post by hsoi »

fm2 wrote:For the sights, he made a very positive comment about the guy's 442 that had the insert installed. Other than that he recommended painting, putting some bright tape on, or using a sharpie marker on them. I have done some of my sights and they turned out pretty well. Yes, he advocated chamfering the cylinder holes.
That would be my 442.

I sent my 442 to Verne Trester. http://www.firearmexpertwitness.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He not only did things like clean her up, make sure she was working right, jeweled the action and so on, but he also did a red insert on the front sight. My understanding is a notch of the front sight ramp was cut out then it's some sort of "putty" that goes in there... a little shaping, a little forming, and viola. It's very brightly colored, like a "neon red". Very visible, especially against the all-black frame of the 442.

Another thing that came out of the class was the rear sight. Most snubs have the rear sight machined as part of the frame. Well, what is your frame? some sort of reflective "chrome" or steel? If so, take a black marker or some such thing to the back of the gun around the sight... blacken it out. It should help visibility.

Claude Werner
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Claude Werner »

TxStar13 wrote:I'm not sure how regular the offerings are, but point is that Rogers does offer them. No idea who teaches it tho.
It's a specialty class. Probably offered once per year. Bill Rogers himself will be teaching the course.

GEM-Texas
Posts in topic: 1

Post by GEM-Texas »

It truly was a great class. I feel much better about my 642 as a carry gun now. I'm working up a write-up when I fight through things at work.

I want to thank Karl for bring Claude to KRTraining and Claude for his great instruction.

Also, the folks in class were really great also.

Glenn

Glenn Meyer.

Return to “General”