NRA Basic Personal Protection in the Home class

General training discussions and class reviews.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Crossfire »

Tom,

I certainly understand how sometimes things on the board tend to get all blown out of proportion, and I never meant to say that CHL instructors should be required to take any additional training.

However... some instructors naturally have more credibility than others. As a female instructor, and without a law enforcement background, I find that I have to prove myself on a regular basis. So, I shoot competitvely, I try to stay informed on current issues, and I take as much instruction as I can.

For me, the NRA credentials are very important. For you, and others, they may not be so important. Definitely not required. Everyone has their own priorities.

Thanks!
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 1

Post by txinvestigator »

llwatson wrote:Tom,

For me, the NRA credentials are very important. For you, and others, they may not be so important. Definitely not required. Everyone has their own priorities.

Thanks!
I agree.

I do not have any NRA creds, but I can tell you that NRA creds really do matter. Not everyone is impressed with a LE instructor rating, or a private security instructor rating (OK, hardly anyone for the security lol)

But everyone knows who the NRA is, and in my observations, people respect the training.

Anyone know where I can get NRA certified around Dallas?
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Tom
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Tom »

llwatson wrote:Tom,

I certainly understand how sometimes things on the board tend to get all blown out of proportion, and I never meant to say that CHL instructors should be required to take any additional training.

However... some instructors naturally have more credibility than others. As a female instructor, and without a law enforcement background, I find that I have to prove myself on a regular basis. So, I shoot competitvely, I try to stay informed on current issues, and I take as much instruction as I can.

Thanks!
Linda,

Thanks for clarifying. And I did not intend to imply that NRA credentials have little value.
I have had them in the past, but have let all expire due to lack of use. I still view
them as important if you are teaching shooting courses. And as you note, they do lend
credibility to an otherwise unknown instructor.

What I was (ineptly) trying to say was, let us not inadvertently start adding criteria to the
CHL holder qualification course by suggesting additions to the CHL Instructor course.
Seems a slippery slope to me.

But I see now that you didn't imply that, so no problem.

I personally believe it should be easier and cheaper than it currently is to get qualified at the user level.
But that is a different discussion.

Kind Regards,

Tom

Topic author
TraCoun
Posts in topic: 7

Am Training Counselor, Will Travel ....

Post by TraCoun »

txinvestigator wrote:But everyone knows who the NRA is, and in my observations, people respect the training.

Anyone know where I can get NRA certified around Dallas?
TxInvestigator, ilwatson - and any others interested.

I would be willing to travel to the Dallas/Fort Worth area to do some instructor classes - and the PPH class itself if there are people interested. It wouldn't be possible until sometime fairly early in 2007, but it is worth discussing. :grin:

The $$$ would have to be worked out, depending on how many classes, etc. A big factor is how many students, to spread fixed costs.

Look at http://www.argenttraining.com to get course descriptions.

It would be helpful for one of you up in that area would take care of coordination.

The Basic PPH class has several hours of range work, which can be done with .22's.

The PPH Instructor class has no range work ... it is assumed you already know how to shoot going into it.

The Basic Rifle, Pistol and Shotgun classes and the Instructor classes for the same disciplines do involve range time.

The Basic Instructor class has no range time.

Is this worth pursuing? :?: :?:

If so, send me a PM and we'll start working on it.

Thanx,
TraCoun

Topic author
TraCoun
Posts in topic: 7

NRA Classes ....

Post by TraCoun »

Tom wrote:OK, but let's not go overboard on this. True, it is a good thing for anyone with a CHL to know.
And perhaps CHL Instructors should have to demonstrate this skill.
However, I don't believe it should be added to the "required" shooting course for a CHL.
Tom
Tom,
Just an FYI, when I took my TC Workshop up in Fort Worth a few years back, the instructors talked about the (then) coming split of the Personal Protection class into Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home. One concern was what would happen in several states that, at least at that time, either ACCEPTED or REQUIRED the Personal Protection class for required CHL training. I honestly don't know what became of that. I'm just saying that sometimes states pick up stuff like that and use it for their purposes. This is totally a prognosication, but I wouldn't be surprised if something like that happening in some places with the Personal Protection Outside the Home class.
Thanx,
TraCoun

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 4

Re: NRA Classes ....

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

TraCoun wrote:
Tom wrote:OK, but let's not go overboard on this. True, it is a good thing for anyone with a CHL to know.
And perhaps CHL Instructors should have to demonstrate this skill.
However, I don't believe it should be added to the "required" shooting course for a CHL.
Tom
Tom,
Just an FYI, when I took my TC Workshop up in Fort Worth a few years back, the instructors talked about the (then) coming split of the Personal Protection class into Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home. One concern was what would happen in several states that, at least at that time, either ACCEPTED or REQUIRED the Personal Protection class for required CHL training. I honestly don't know what became of that. I'm just saying that sometimes states pick up stuff like that and use it for their purposes. This is totally a prognosication, but I wouldn't be surprised if something like that happening in some places with the Personal Protection Outside the Home class.
Thanx,
TraCoun
This was discussed in the NRA Special Committee on Right to Carry. Some states that don't have their own courses use NRA courses for qualifications, but none of the states that have their own, like Texas. As of Sept., there we no states that were going to use the PPOH course for their CHL licenses.

Chas.

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

TraCoun:
Charles Cotton and I will be conducting an NRA Personal Protection in the Home class on 11/10 and 11/18/06.
I may be blind (geez, I hope not; not if I'm carryin'), but I don't see posted on the boards here or the ArGent site the location of the upcoming " In the Home" class. Will it be at PSC?

Thanks!

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Skiprr wrote:TraCoun:
Charles Cotton and I will be conducting an NRA Personal Protection in the Home class on 11/10 and 11/18/06.
I may be blind (geez, I hope not; not if I'm carryin'), but I don't see posted on the boards here or the ArGent site the location of the upcoming " In the Home" class. Will it be at PSC?

Thanks!
Yep, it's at PSC.

Chas.

XDgal

Post by XDgal »

TraCoun,
I, for one , would definitely be interested in taking the PPH course if you come to the DFW area.
XDgal

Return to “General”