Need help sorting out the endless array of training classes

General training discussions and class reviews.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Chris Brines
Posts in topic: 1

Need help sorting out the endless array of training classes

Post by Chris Brines »

Hello,

I just got a CHL last week, and am in need of some defensive pistol training. There are SO MANY different options in the Houston area, I honestly don't even know where to begin. Just a quick run down on my firearms experience, I have had very little shooting experience in my 32 years of life, up until just this year. I got my first Glock in January and have shot about 5000 (maybe more...) round in it so far. I can honestly say I at least know how to use the gun safely, and am adequate with my shooting accuracy. But the reason we carry is not to go to the range and shoot at paper targets from the "ready" position. It is so that we can lawfully conceal a firearm, likely in a holster, that needs to be loaded, hot, and ready to fire on a moments notice. Not only that, but the fact that any number of factors can greatly affect the difficulty of a real life SD scenario, only adds to my reasons for deciding I need to be trained by a qualified instructor.

Mainly the points I want to focus on, are developing and building on skills such as drawing from a holster (SAFELY, I carry IWB at 4 o clock), getting on target and firing (SAFELY, QUICKLY, AND ACCURATELY). I can do all of these things, but VERY slowly. Of course I could try to be "Mr. Big Shot" and try to do it fast but considering a loaded Glock is VERY unforgiving for even the slightest of mistakes, I would feel much better if someone showed me the correct way to do it, and also presented to me scenarios I may encounter in the real world. After the foundation from those two things has been established, then working on my speed and accuracy is something I feel is equally important. I just want to be sure that I am not just another CHL holder with a loaded gun strapped to my side...and that's it. I want to know that not only am I those 2 things, but I am someone who is prepared mentally and physically to deal with a real life crisis situation, and ironically, am hoping to NEVER actually have to put those skills to the test in the real world. I actually think training would be fun, which is another reason I want to do it.

I need some advice on who offers the best training of this type in the Houston area (preferably west side). I live very close to Memorial Shooting Center, and they have some great class offerings, but the waiting list is very long, two months last time I checked. So I am hoping I can find something sooner. The weekend of the 19th would likely be the most ideal time for this. In addition to time and schedule availability, the least expensive class of this type that I have found is $189. As with almost everyone, I want good quality training, and am more than willing to pay a fair price for it. But if anyone knows where I can get the same service for less, please let me know.

Also, I guess I should mention that I went to my first IDPA match last night. It was great but I really need a TRAINING session more than a COMPETITION session. Everyone there was very helpful and friendly, but I did get the impression that dealing with a rookie is not something they were overly excited to be doing, since they are all seasoned shooters. Totally understandable, and I do plan to participate in IDPA on a regular basis, but at this point, I really need some intensive training to develop my skills, pinpoint my weak points and try to eliminate them, and also learn new skills in due time.

If anyone has any advice or helpful info for me, you would be helping me out TREMENDOUSLY. Thanks, have a great day!

speedsix

Re: Need help sorting out the endless array of training clas

Post by speedsix »

...I came up poor in the training area...and, coupled with my natural slow reactions, I figured early on that my best bet was to be ahead of the curve by being ultra-alert and observant...planning out what-ifs and how-could-Is in my idler moments, rather than just listening to the local CW station...it took care of me on the street...I never got very fast...but several times, because I was paying attention on purpose, I was one step ahead in a bad situation and it saved me...

...the best training begins between our ears...changing the way we think about things as necessary...I'll recommend to you a little book that I read early on by one who'd been in more trouble than you or I ever will be...and came out well...he was a retired Border Patrolman who was humble and plainspoken...and gave me a base to build on all my life...best book I've ever read on defense...

No Second Place Winner by William (Bill) Jordan...available on Amazon...money well spent...

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Moderator's note: We had a spam post after Chris opened this Topic, and that precipitated some emoticon-only posts. The offending spam and the wordless posts have been deleted so we can better concentrate on Chris's request.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

GEM-Texas

Post by GEM-Texas »

Well, if you are willing to drive to Giddings on 290, can't do better for basics than http://www.krtraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Quality program, no commando wannabee.

NO, I don't have a business stake in them. Just buddies and been through their courses.

Start with the basics and work up through the AT series.

recaffeination

Post by recaffeination »

In the Houston area, I can suggest the tactical pistol classes taght by Donovan and Josh at Guardian Defensive.

I have taken classes from many mediocre instructors in Houston but Guardian was worth my time AND money.

ske1eter

Post by ske1eter »

First of all, congrats on realizing your need for training beyond the basic CHL class.

Tactical Response will be down in Bastrop very shortly (May 17th). I've taken two classes with them and while the focus is on fighting with your gun, they do enter the arena of legalities, the OODA loop, ability-opportunity-intent, etc., stuff one needs for a self defense "defense".

http://www.tacticalresponse.com/courseR ... uleID=1376

I also recommend looking into the http://armedcitizensnetwork.org/home to help yourself out in a self defense action................

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Impact Zone has a number of great visiting instructors. Hoffner is also out that way. As a HPD instructor he is well qualified to take your skills to the next level.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

canvasbck

Post by canvasbck »

I would highly reccomend Tom Estep (el gato on this forum). He would be perfect to introduce you to defensive shooting and he would also introduce you to IDPA. IDPA is an excellent way to further develop the skills that you would be taught by one of the firearms instructors in the area.
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

Return to “General”