Good Combatives Training DVD

General training discussions and class reviews.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Ranger+P+
Posts in topic: 4

Good Combatives Training DVD

Post by Ranger+P+ »

Friend of mine sent me a great dvd for folks who train in combatives and close quarters shooting, something I highly recommend. (I will post a training curriculum essay I wrote while overseas.)
The DVD is called Fighting Handgun Vol I and it comes from a company called "Shivworks". The trainer is a former undercover narcotics officer for LA county. For folks who have trained with Suarez or Grover, this is worth your time.

Check it out: www.shivworks.com
The final weapon is the Brain, all else is Supplemental.-John Steinbeck

SPEED/SURPRISE/VIOLENCE OF ACTION

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by flintknapper »

Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Topic author
Ranger+P+

Post by Ranger+P+ »

Here is the link to the site, sorry about that:

http://www.shivworks.com

Here is a good review of Fighting Handgun Vol I, it summarizes alot of my thoughts and probally alot of shooters out there also.

http://www.shivworks.com/fightinghandgun.asp

fm2
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Good Combatives Training DVD

Post by fm2 »

Ranger+P+ wrote:The trainer is a former undercover narcotics officer for LA county.
Great find, but this is incorrect. He is in the South.

I have trained with SouthNarc before and it is the best training available, especially for a CCW person. He uses simple robust methods for solving the problem of a bad guy from 0-5 feet. These lessons are hard won, field tested & field proven.

I am part of an ongoing training group and we cover some of his material at every meeting. If anyone is interested, please PM me.

Ranger, what do you think of this essay http://www.shivworks.com/mythproparm.asp ?

Topic author
Ranger+P+

Post by Ranger+P+ »

fm2, thanks for the correction, I think my friend misinformed me.

As for the essay, I not only like this essay, but all of them. I really appreciate Snarc's mentality. As a security contractor, it is refreshing to see a stateside trainer that lives in reality. I really like what he says at the end of this essay, (paraphrasing) "How he encourages everyone to use the reality of unequal or different force encounters as a litmus test for a systems street effectiveness." I think that is a very poignant statement in the light of most of the "programs" out there right now. I would venture a bet that 90% of them would fail the litmus test.

You must understand that I have only been stateside about a month, for the last 10 months, I have been overseas. When not on detail, we are always in training. The majority of training we receive overseas is from German, British and Israeli trainers. Almost all of their Close Quarters training is combatives based. The Israeli training is 150% combatives based. So, in reality, I know no other way to train. I have personally seen it work and save lives.

The reason that the Combative Perspective (quoting Suarez) is so popular among contractors and SF operators alike is it's pure functionality; it is what Snarc is discussing in his essay A "Systems" Approach to Building a Profile"." When we build our combative profile, it is key that all skill sets are as similar as possible. This allows for the appropriate skill set to be utilized with zero thought-a streamlined, well-oiled machine."(paraphrased). When you look at it with all the elements in place, it is the most logical training system in existence.

The stubborn "old Guard" are responsible for a majority of the innefective and fairy tale training being taught in Police Academies and Private Facilities nationwide. The static, square range where we go out and punch holes in paper gets people killed on the street and in combat, period. Ken Cook said it best in the Review of The Fighting Handgun: "In a world where 99% of all citizen shooting encounters take place at bad breath range (0-5 ft) why do they train for an attack that begins at a distance so unrealistic that this single, glaring flaw in tactical thinking actually invalidates every other aspect of the skills they have worked so hard to gain??"

Nuff' Said.

Thanks fm2, I am glad to be a part of this forum.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Ranger,
I really appreciate your word here. My phrase is smell their breath distance. It really gets the ladies attention.
We need to visit.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

fm2

Post by fm2 »

Ranger+P+ wrote: "How he encourages everyone to use the reality of unequal or different force encounters as a litmus test for a systems street effectiveness." I think that is a very poignant statement in the light of most of the "programs" out there right now. I would venture a bet that 90% of them would fail the litmus test.
Amen to that.

He is pretty adament on staying within the context of criminal assault. I was hoping to get him here @ Houston to teach a class, but having trouble finding a range.
Last edited by fm2 on Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Ranger+P+

Post by Ranger+P+ »

Now I am fired up, I probally won't sleep much tonight-training is near and dear to my heart.

fm2, have you read the book Sharpening the Warriors Edge by Bruce Siddle? If not, pick it up. It is a great read on the physiological aspects of combat and how it effects us pyschologically. It is required reading at most police academies.

Also, did you check out any of the links from http://www.Shivworks.com?? When you get the time, check out www.donrearic.com, some awesome stuff in there. He covered a topic that I think is imperative to the person who is serious about everyday self-defense: the dual use of small, compact flashlight's as yawara sticks or kubotans. That is what I love about Combatives, like we discussed before, everything folds into another and creates a seamless "profile" for that person.

I have chatted enough tonight--talk you soon.

TX Rancher

Post by TX Rancher »

fm2 wrote:
Ranger+P+ wrote: "How he encourages everyone to use the reality of unequal or different force encounters as a litmus test for a systems street effectiveness." I think that is a very poignant statement in the light of most of the "programs" out there right now. I would venture a bet that 90% of them would fail the litmus test.
Amen to that, brother.

He is pretty adament on staying within the context of criminal assault. I was hoping to get him here @ Houston to teach a class, but having trouble finding a range.
What about the Impact Zone? It's situated such that folks from Austin and Houstin could attend. If you pull a class together, let me know...

fm2

Post by fm2 »

Ranger, it's on my reading list. I have checked out Don's sight many times. You are spot on about the improvised yawara stick. Just another reason to carry a light about the size of a surefire 6p.

Thanks TXRancher. I thought of them and KR training. Is that the only options near Houston?

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

TX Rancher wrote:What about the Impact Zone? It's situated such that folks from Austin and Houstin could attend. If you pull a class together, let me know...
It's the closest to me. :grin:

And the only training DVD you probably can't talk me into watching is one with Lenny Magill in it. No offense to Lenny, but you watch a few of those in succession in 2004, and you probably, "basically" won't want to sit through any more until at least 2010...
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Return to “General”