Advanced Training for Senior Shooters

General training discussions and class reviews.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
ezypikns
Posts in topic: 1

Advanced Training for Senior Shooters

Post by ezypikns »

I would like to know if there are courses anywhere in the state that are designed for older shooters. I have read some course descriptions from some shooting schools that describe their courses as "blood pumping" and "very physically demanding". I'm not that old, or in that bad physical condition, but I'm not interested in being a SEAL or Spec Ops commando, or even a SWAT team member.
What I'm interested in is a course emphasizing good presentattion techniques, shooting on the move (as opposed to a gallop), and improving marksmanship and shooting speed.
NRA Member
TSRA Member
CHL Holder

fm2
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Advanced Training for Senior Shooters

Post by fm2 »

ezypikns wrote:I would like to know if there are courses anywhere in the state that are designed for older shooters. I have read some course descriptions from some shooting schools that describe their courses as "blood pumping" and "very physically demanding". I'm not that old, or in that bad physical condition, but I'm not interested in being a SEAL or Spec Ops commando, or even a SWAT team member.
What I'm interested in is a course emphasizing good presentattion techniques, shooting on the move (as opposed to a gallop), and improving marksmanship and shooting speed.
There are some very good instructors out there that will teach you what you are interested in. There are also some that will teach you from their experince what you need to know to survive an encounter with a very determined bad guy. The good news is a lot of them both get to this state and some are based here. Karl Rehn,http://www.krtraining.com/ has a good program that accomidates many skill levels.

Keep in mind that if you have to use your handgun in a fight, it may be physically as well as mentally, stressing. One way to artificially do this is through physical activity and/or mental taxing.

You have to decide what is a good presentation. Are you interested in a presentation that has mostly: speed, as in IPSIC, IDPA competitions, robustness, economy of motion, availability to fire from 0-x yards etc......

Here's some other places to check out:

In state
http://www.combatshootingandtactics.com/CIVtraining.htm
http://www.tacproshootingcenter.com/index.html

Traveling
http://www.rangemaster.com/
http://www.tacticalresponse.com/

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

ezypikns wrote:I would like to know if there are courses anywhere in the state that are designed for older shooters. I have read some course descriptions from some shooting schools that describe their courses as "blood pumping" and "very physically demanding". I'm not that old, or in that bad physical condition, but I'm not interested in being a SEAL or Spec Ops commando, or even a SWAT team member.
Keep watch on this site. Very soon I will be offering an Intermediate and an Advanced CHL class. It will not have anything in it that would not apply to CHL holders. (No 2-man tactics, no SWAT techniques, etc)
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

TX Rancher

Post by TX Rancher »

fm2, have you taken courses with KR Training? They're in my neck of the woods so travel would be easy, and no hotels to deal with.

fm2

Post by fm2 »

TX, not any official class yet, probably this year. I was there for 2 of Shivworks ECQC classes. Karl, the K in KR training, was a student in one of the classes, missed the second due to work travel, so I got to interact with him. Really nice guy, no overinflated ego to deal with, and willing to be a student, that shows a lot of character. They have a nice range as well as a range house with AC, indoor plumbing, kitchenette, within 60 yds of the range.

Ranger+P+

Post by Ranger+P+ »

I would be glad to have you come out and train at my facility, I am out of the country most of the year, but while I am at home I train on a one on one basis or a few folks at a time. I have PM'd you with details--please contact me if I can help.
The final weapon is the Brain, all else is Supplemental.-John Steinbeck

SPEED/SURPRISE/VIOLENCE OF ACTION

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

Ranger+P+ wrote:I would be glad to have you come out and train at my facility, I am out of the country most of the year, but while I am at home I train on a one on one basis or a few folks at a time. I have PM'd you with details--please contact me if I can help.
Where in Texas are you?
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Ranger+P+

Post by Ranger+P+ »

East TX. I train folks on a word of mouth basis--. I am only home 3-4 months out of the year, so I really don't do that much.
The final weapon is the Brain, all else is Supplemental.-John Steinbeck

SPEED/SURPRISE/VIOLENCE OF ACTION

TX Rancher

Post by TX Rancher »

txinvestigator wrote:
Keep watch on this site. Very soon I will be offering an Intermediate and an Advanced CHL class. It will not have anything in it that would not apply to CHL holders. (No 2-man tactics, no SWAT techniques, etc)
I would be interested in your course, but travel to DFW can be a problem with my ranch. Any chance you may get in the Austin area sometime?

Bill

Post by Bill »

Keep in mind that even if the courses are physical does not mean you have to be as physical, if he is a good instructor he will not push you past your limitations. When I take classes I must be careful with my knees because of 5 surgeries, so I opt out of anything that bothers them.
retired CHL Instructor

gmckinl

Post by gmckinl »

txinvestigator wrote: Keep watch on this site. Very soon I will be offering an Intermediate and an Advanced CHL class. It will not have anything in it that would not apply to CHL holders. (No 2-man tactics, no SWAT techniques, etc)
Sounds interesting, I'll be watching. Say hi to Paul for me.
NRA Life Member

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -- Thomas Jefferson

Return to “General”