New 2019 FBI Handgun Qualification

General training discussions and class reviews.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

troglodyte
Posts in topic: 3

Re: New 2019 FBI Handgun Qualification

Post by troglodyte »

Paladin wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:17 am
troglodyte wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:06 pm A well known trainer told us in a class one time that the FBI test was little more than a sobriety test. We took it so we could say we passed it.
If that's true, why does Tom Givens make it part of his instructor qualification course? It's not a perfect test, but I would say better than a lot of them (Texas DPS qualification being one elephant in the room)
It was Tom Givens that made the comment. His reasoning for including it in his instructor's training was to allow us to say as instructors, and have documented, that we had passed the same test as the "premier" law enforcement agency.

I don't disagree that it is better than a lot but the scoring is too lenient. A grazing hip shot shouldn't count the same as a COM or head shot. Theoretically you could have 45 "grazing" hits and still pass at the instructor's level. I scored a 96 shooting cold and could've should've done better. I missed an off-hand shot and rushed the first shot after kneeling. Several folks on the line cleaned it. I rarely practice one-hand shooting, much less one-handed off-hand (something I need to change).

Tom's instructor qualification test is much better. It is more challenging and has realistic scoring.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Paladin »

troglodyte wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:38 pm
troglodyte wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:06 pm A well known trainer told us in a class one time that the FBI test was little more than a sobriety test. We took it so we could say we passed it.
If that's true, why does Tom Givens make it part of his instructor qualification course? It's not a perfect test, but I would say better than a lot of them (Texas DPS qualification being one elephant in the room)
It was Tom Givens that made the comment. His reasoning for including it in his instructor's training was to allow us to say as instructors, and have documented, that we had passed the same test as the "premier" law enforcement agency.

I don't disagree that it is better than a lot but the scoring is too lenient. A grazing hip shot shouldn't count the same as a COM or head shot. Theoretically you could have 45 "grazing" hits and still pass at the instructor's level. I scored a 96 shooting cold and could've should've done better. I missed an off-hand shot and rushed the first shot after kneeling. Several folks on the line cleaned it. I rarely practice one-hand shooting, much less one-handed off-hand (something I need to change).

Tom's instructor qualification test is much better. It is more challenging and has realistic scoring.
I guessed it was Tom that said it. :cheers2:

Having worked with a variety of students and I would say Tom's comments are bravado. I've witnessed Law Enforcement fail a lot lower standards and less relevant qualifications. Won't say which one specifically. But take the FBI Carbine Qualification for example. It looks like a joke. Tom's pistol instructor qual does look much more challenging than the FBI pistol qual. I'd like to try it. I have no doubt Tom's qualification is better.

I like to train and put my students through a variety of qualifications, as HR Funk's extensive testing has shown that different qualifications tend to test very different things. To my knowledge there is no single qualification that does a great job of testing a broad range of critical skills. The best you can hope for in a single qualification is to make sure you are testing the most-important/most-likely things.

I like Paul Howe's and Karl Rehn's shooting qualifications as they tend to break down a lot of the individual skills in a very relevant way. Ben Stoeger's "Practical Shooting Standards" are actually remarkably similar to Paul Howe's standards. Ben's standards lay the foundation for developing world class pistol skills. Paul Howe's are a bit more geared to the real world.

As far as rifle qualifications go, MAJ Ehrhart's research shows that the best US Army rifle qualification was from 1949. The 1949 qualification took into account all the lessons learned from WW2 and required a high round count and a top notch shooting range with shooting at distances of 15 to 500 yards, sometimes from exotic positions like a roof top or rubble pile. Knowing the military, the 1949 qualification was probably more difficult/costly/time-consuming than what some of the generals wanted or found practical. Automated pop-up target ranges are much easier and quicker to cycle soldiers through. That leaves more DOD money for gender reassignment surgeries. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

troglodyte
Posts in topic: 3

Post by troglodyte »

Paladin wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:48 pm
troglodyte wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:38 pm

I guessed it was Tom that said it. :cheers2:

Having worked with a variety of students and I would say Tom's comments are bravado.
My take on TG's comments were that if a person had a little bit of training they could pass the FBI test. There was a little tongue-in-cheek when he referred to the FBI as premier. It's hard to put all the context in a few words and sentences. The idea was, that instructors, we should be able to easily shoot the FBI test and easily pass with a 90+.

You're correct. No one shooting test is perfect or complete. Not any instructor is perfect or complete. Every instructor I have been to has always said to find good training with a variety of instructors. I do, and recommend likewise to my students. I incorporate more varieties of "qualification" tests into my instruction. I asked TG where he goes for training. He replied that he will seek out some of the lesser known instructors and train with them, and that he learns something every time.

Not to get too far into the weeds from the OT. The new FBI test is a tool, a benchmark. Just like all tools, there is a purpose and a limitation. You work with the tool in its intended capacity and use a different tool when the job calls for it.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

Return to “General”