The 1911, My First Love

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Dragonfighter
Posts in topic: 10

Re: The 1911, My First Love

Post by Dragonfighter »

Excellent advice all. Thank you so much. I decided, since I don't have to wear black leather anymore, to get an entire rig from 1791. My gun belt is out of holes, I've lost some weight, and hopefully this will be adequate to get me to a point where I can invest a tad more. Start up with a new gun is expensive. 🙄
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

powerboatr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by powerboatr »

https://www.craftholsters.com/basket-we ... un-holster
this is what i have for my ronin 1911 45
it took about 6 weeks and was made near the war zone in a land far away near ukraine
some of his are made there and some are made in WA
it took 24 hrs or so to stretch it from shipping, but it fits perfect
craftmanship is superb imo
i also ordered new ones for my XD models
i am a svelte 6 3 at 245-250 lbs
i have a non basket weave to
https://www.craftholsters.com/leather-b ... elt-tunnel
Attachments
20211209_160927 small.jpg
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Topic author
Dragonfighter

Post by Dragonfighter »

powerboatr wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:29 pm https://www.craftholsters.com/basket-we ... un-holster
it took about 6 weeks and was made near the war zone in a land far away near ukraine
You like the way the scabbard holster rides? Used to have one on my Sam Brown so I guess I've always viewed them as an OC option.
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

powerboatr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by powerboatr »

Dragonfighter wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:18 am
powerboatr wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:29 pm https://www.craftholsters.com/basket-we ... un-holster
You like the way the scabbard holster rides? Used to have one on my Sam Brown so I guess I've always viewed them as an OC option.
yes its very comfortable, i drove 11 hrs to mobile with it on my side tucked back a bit
so much so comfy, i forgot it was on my belt while walking to the rest area restrooms,
i carried all over area of my hotel in mobile with no issues, i did have my longer shirt over it , but it was a very good fit for my body
i generally carry owb but concealed by clothing
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

orionengnr
Posts in topic: 1

Post by orionengnr »

I have a Milt Sparks Versa-Max II (VMII) which I like pretty well, but honestly my all-time favorite 1911 IWB holster is a 20-plus-year-old Lou Alessi (no longer in production). Thinner, more conformable to the body. My wife commandeered it so I no longer have access to it.

However, there is a guy, Nate from UBG (Ugly Bald Guy, gotta love that) Holsters and he makes an IWB that is very similar to my Lou Alessi holster.
I bought one and can attest to the fact that it is the next best thing. I actually bought one for my wife for her b-day this year (need to buy another for myself...)

His pricing is also about 1/2 of what Milt Sparks or the other "brand-name" holster makers get. Call it $75-ish instead of $150-200.
Worth a look.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Hopp Custom Leather makes some really really nice stuff too. I have a custom holster for an XDM45 that I bought from him 11 or 12 years ago.

My Hopp Holster
My Hopp Holster

From Eric Hopp's website:

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

equin

Post by equin »

Some really good suggestions on here, and I may be late to the game, but I’ll second TTGunleather and Don Hume holsters. I have both for my fullsize 1911. The TTGunleather is the “Mike’s Special” IWB which I’ve found to be really well made and surprisingly comfortable for being an IWB holster. The Don Hume is their OT721 OWB holster which is also very well made and designed to stay close to the body, including the grip.

The one thing I’ve noticed about carrying my 1911 OWB is that I still need a strong, thick gun belt to properly support the weight and keep it from bulging or flopping outward a bit, if that makes sense. The wider the belt (such as a 1.75” wide belt), the better for me in that regard, but then it makes it harder to fit the holster through it.

I also have a 1791 OWB holster that looks great and is built like a tank. I noticed that it tends to stick out a bit more than my Don Hume holster, though, but it also looks like the 1791’s leather is a bit thicker as well, which might explain the reason for that. Either way, mine looks like it’ll last a lifetime.
Ed

patterson

Post by patterson »

I had a OWB 1911 holster made a few years ago by Kelley Gun Leather and has held up, but I cant find his website now.

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

ethankellyleather.com ?
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Topic author
Dragonfighter

Post by Dragonfighter »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:47 pm Hopp Custom Leather makes some really really nice stuff too. I have a custom holster for an XDM45 that I bought from him 11 or 12 years ago.
<SNIP>
Thank you. Started the process for an IWB. I really like what I saw. For the OWB, the 1791 holster and mag carrier ride very nicely. Maybe a touch high but very comfortable. Very close to your irst recommendation. It takes a minute to stretch to where one can draw with any sense of smoothness. Took almost a week before I felt like I could use it reliably enough to wear it out.

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”