Posts in topic: 1

Re: Shoulder Holster Solutions.......

Post by PUCKER »

VERY nice gents!! Thank you for this informative post! :tiphat:

LostInAustin

Post by LostInAustin »

Exactly the reason I frequent only this forum! Only time I stray is if I need specific 1911 info. Thanks LT and Flint! Awesome tutorial! :thumbs2: :thumbs2:
Colt Combat Commander
Colt Govt Model Series 70
Beretta 92FS

RiverRat

Post by RiverRat »

Thank You Gentlemen, that was excellent. You could publish this kind of tutorial. Be the next Clint Smith. Write for guns and ammo.

It gives me a lot greater understanding of that form of carry....and the hardware issues.
Life member NRA and TSRA

ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

very informative, thanks.

I like the choice of a Para as well :-)
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

OlBill

Post by OlBill »

Great tutorial. Thank you gentlemen.

IsraelisJewish

Post by IsraelisJewish »

Wow! I feel like it is a golf exercise/drill! Ha! But its good, its good! Thank you. What a visual. Thank you.
David (IsraelisJewish)
SunnyWalker.net

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Excellent job. Most informative training that I have ever seen on shoulder holsters. :thumbs2:
Thank you for taking the time to put this together. :tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 18

Post by flintknapper »

WildBill wrote:Excellent job. Most informative training that I have ever seen on shoulder holsters. :thumbs2:
Thank you for taking the time to put this together. :tiphat:
Thank You for the kind words. The original post was done six years ago.

Hopefully, it has helped someone along the way...or at least caused them to re-think some of the objections/concerns surrounding Shoulder Holster carry.

Nothing that was written back then has changed...except that I have carried in a shoulder rig for 19 years now instead of 13.

Again.... shoulder carry is NOT for everyone, but might be a viable form for some. And I want to reiterate, with just a little bit of thought and practice, drawing from a horizontal shoulder rig does NOT cover you or entire free world (as is commonly asserted).

We didn't cover 're-holstering' (how to do it...and when to do it) or retention (stupid simple to do)... or a host of other things, but if any here have specific questions, we can address those.

Flint.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

carlson1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by carlson1 »

Fantastic thread. This is a great help especially to me because I am trying to convert to a Shoulder Rig to get the weight off of my lumbar. A bad back with a heavy pistol for a few hours makes for a terrible day.

Thanks again.

Carl

boxermoose

Post by boxermoose »

I was looking at this one, any feedback from owners, I like the carry vertical but some rotation during draw

http://stonerholsters.com/Shoulder-Hols ... h-tie-down

wil

Post by wil »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Flint and LT, thanks for the lesson. I've got a couple of questions.

The first concerns my being left handed, which is problematic from the driver's seat of a vehicle. First, unless you're driving a tractor with no doors, or a semi-tractor truck, it is very difficult to get to the gun from the left hip with an IWB/OWB holsters. Getting to the gun under my right arm is easier than with a hip holster, BUT, it seems almost impossible to draw it from under the arm without sweeping either myself, or my passenger. Plus bringing it to bear against a threat on the left side of the car is extremely difficult without an exaggerated leaning away from the left car door in the confined space of a car's front (bucket) seat. Any suggestions?

The second question is... Is that an official Pastor's Hat that LT is wearing and where can I get one? :mrgreen:
Being a southpaw also, what I did to go around this is, mount a holster in the drivers side door. Most cars have either a pocket or pouch made of plastic cloth, or if the door panel is molded plastic then a molded-in small storage bin.
A holster permanantly mounted within either of those means when you get in the car, you can pull your sidearm out of the holster and put it into the door holster making for easy L/H retrieval in a hurry.
I use the lower bin or pouch for a couple reasons, first off in the event of a traffic stop your hands are not likely to be near that lower panel, probably up on the steering wheel. Hands away from that area, even if the cop asks you where your piece is, means things are less likely to get tense. I keep insurance and registration either on the visor so my hand go up in plain view or in the glovebox, to the right and away from that area again in plain view. Some cars have a storage bin there in the center console but I like to keep mine in an area I'm not going to be reaching towards or otherwise have my hands anywhere near if there's any interaction with LE.
Secondly it's easy enough to reach down with my left hand and pull the piece up out of that holster and if need be transfer it to right hand.
Third it's easy enough to reach down there without it being relatively obvious what you are doing to someone outside the car, and in some instances getting ahold of it even if they're relatively close to the car. that area is not in immediate view to someone standing fairly close to the car.
Fourth my car has a pouch, a gun & holster kept in there isn't in plain sight.So far as I know, it is legal to have a firearm in the car albeit not in plain view and if during a traffic stop. Then I'll answer questions as required.
For me it's easier to do this and it's a bit more comfortable. Its simply get in the car and that's part of the routine, unholster it and move it there. Get where I"m going and retrieve it and reholster on me.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

wil wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:Flint and LT, thanks for the lesson. I've got a couple of questions.

The first concerns my being left handed, which is problematic from the driver's seat of a vehicle. First, unless you're driving a tractor with no doors, or a semi-tractor truck, it is very difficult to get to the gun from the left hip with an IWB/OWB holsters. Getting to the gun under my right arm is easier than with a hip holster, BUT, it seems almost impossible to draw it from under the arm without sweeping either myself, or my passenger. Plus bringing it to bear against a threat on the left side of the car is extremely difficult without an exaggerated leaning away from the left car door in the confined space of a car's front (bucket) seat. Any suggestions?

The second question is... Is that an official Pastor's Hat that LT is wearing and where can I get one? :mrgreen:
Being a southpaw also, what I did to go around this is, mount a holster in the drivers side door. Most cars have either a pocket or pouch made of plastic cloth, or if the door panel is molded plastic then a molded-in small storage bin.
A holster permanantly mounted within either of those means when you get in the car, you can pull your sidearm out of the holster and put it into the door holster making for easy L/H retrieval in a hurry.
I use the lower bin or pouch for a couple reasons, first off in the event of a traffic stop your hands are not likely to be near that lower panel, probably up on the steering wheel. Hands away from that area, even if the cop asks you where your piece is, means things are less likely to get tense. I keep insurance and registration either on the visor so my hand go up in plain view or in the glovebox, to the right and away from that area again in plain view. Some cars have a storage bin there in the center console but I like to keep mine in an area I'm not going to be reaching towards or otherwise have my hands anywhere near if there's any interaction with LE.
Secondly it's easy enough to reach down with my left hand and pull the piece up out of that holster and if need be transfer it to right hand.
Third it's easy enough to reach down there without it being relatively obvious what you are doing to someone outside the car, and in some instances getting ahold of it even if they're relatively close to the car. that area is not in immediate view to someone standing fairly close to the car.
Fourth my car has a pouch, a gun & holster kept in there isn't in plain sight.So far as I know, it is legal to have a firearm in the car albeit not in plain view and if during a traffic stop. Then I'll answer questions as required.
For me it's easier to do this and it's a bit more comfortable. Its simply get in the car and that's part of the routine, unholster it and move it there. Get where I"m going and retrieve it and reholster on me.
I asked that question on Thu Feb 04, 2010 at 7:05 pm, 6 years, 2 months, 2 weeks, and 1 day ago. "rlol" "rlol" "rlol" "rlol" "rlol" "rlol".

Thanks. :smilelol5:

My solution was to lose 90 lbs. Not a problem any longer. :lol: :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

Congratulations!
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Topbuilder

Post by Topbuilder »

Well done and thought out. I use a different version of shoulder carry (muzzle down) but your principles still apply.
And, I rarely shoot weak hand, so advice appreciated.
Thank you!
"It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God, and the Bible." George Washington

C-dub
Posts in topic: 4

Post by C-dub »

For everyone that uses a shoulder holster, another, but different question.

Once you've gotten your rig adjusted how you like it, do you trim off the excess strap? Or do you somehow affix it to the other side with double sided tape or another method? Now that I've had mine set for quite a while now and think I'm happy with it the way it is I'm torn between leaving the excess or trimming it off.

I'm a bit of a pack rat and don't like throwing things away that I might need in the future. :skep:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”