Shoulder Holster Solutions.......

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Shoulder Holster Solutions.......

Post by Excaliber »

Flint and LT:

Thanks for your very clear and well done presentation on a solid and well thought out system for successfully using a shoulder holster.

Most of the caveats on shoulder holster carry that I had raised in another thread related to the mistakes that I have seen folks without martial arts backgrounds or knowledgeable training make more often than not. You have addressed those in a way that minimizes the potential drawbacks. I also give you great credit for being candid about the remaining points of vulnerability and safety issues. Every carry method has its own set of these, and the key to using any holster system successfully and safely is knowing what those points are and the best ways to minimize the risk they carry.

Your point about the importance of proper gun handling skills when using a horizontal shoulder holster is very well taken as well. Since there is no way to completely avoid at least briefly pointing the muzzle at someone directly behind the shooter at some point during the draw, it is not a method that should be considered before an individual has extremely strong safe gun handling practices developed to the point of unconscious competence.

Once again, thanks for your efforts and the very well presented techniques.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Flint and LT, thanks for the lesson. I've got a couple of questions.

The first concerns my being left handed, which is problematic from the driver's seat of a vehicle. First, unless you're driving a tractor with no doors, or a semi-tractor truck, it is very difficult to get to the gun from the left hip with an IWB/OWB holsters. Getting to the gun under my right arm is easier than with a hip holster, BUT, it seems almost impossible to draw it from under the arm without sweeping either myself, or my passenger. Plus bringing it to bear against a threat on the left side of the car is extremely difficult without an exaggerated leaning away from the left car door in the confined space of a car's front (bucket) seat. Any suggestions?

The second question is... Is that an official Pastor's Hat that LT is wearing and where can I get one? :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Kevinf2349

Post by Kevinf2349 »

Flint & LT (sorry for the omission LT)

Excellent post. :clapping: :clapping: :hurry:

My of my questions and concerns have been answered in a clear and understandable fashion. :tiphat:

The only outstanding question I have is.....how do I bookmark this thread?

Thank you again, sirs. :tiphat:
Last edited by Kevinf2349 on Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Glock - When a FTF just isn't an option!

04/24/09 - CHL Class
08/17/09 - Plastic in hand!

NRA & TSRA Member

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

"Society doesn't have a gun problem; Society has a society problem"

longtooth
Posts in topic: 5

Post by longtooth »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Flint and LT, thanks for the lesson. I've got a couple of questions.

The second question is... Is that an official Pastor's Hat that LT is wearing and where can I get one? :mrgreen:
Since this one is directed to me I will be glad to answer it. Yes it is an official Pastor's Hat. One of our families gave it to me for Pastor Appreciation Day. They had it special designed & made. Where??? Dont know. Just know I like it.
Thanks
LT
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

mikeintexas

Post by mikeintexas »

Thanks Flint and LT for putting your time into this.

A friend built me a shoulder rig from a Tandy pattern a couple of years ago. The difference is mine was built to hold the pistol vertically. Being right handed, this holster has a wide strap that fits over my left shoulder and a narrow strap that crosses in the back and goes around the front of your right shoulder. While my holster may not sweep as many body parts when drawing already being vertical, it does not have a place to carry spare mags or a flashlight.

I now use a Supertuck IWB almost exclusively. We are a hugging congregation and I got a couple of funny looks with the shoulder rig! :???:

bstach

Post by bstach »

WOW ! thanks for all the time, and work that you put in to this. I will read this and look at the pictures over and over. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Great job !!!!

Thanks again.

Brad

Kevinf2349

Post by Kevinf2349 »

Flint & LT

Have you thought of putting this all on a website (apart from this forum that is)?

:tiphat:
Glock - When a FTF just isn't an option!

04/24/09 - CHL Class
08/17/09 - Plastic in hand!

NRA & TSRA Member

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

"Society doesn't have a gun problem; Society has a society problem"

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Flint and LT, thanks for the lesson. I've got a couple of questions.

The first concerns my being left handed, which is problematic from the driver's seat of a vehicle. First, unless you're driving a tractor with no doors, or a semi-tractor truck, it is very difficult to get to the gun from the left hip with an IWB/OWB holsters. Getting to the gun under my right arm is easier than with a hip holster, BUT, it seems almost impossible to draw it from under the arm without sweeping either myself, or my passenger. Plus bringing it to bear against a threat on the left side of the car is extremely difficult without an exaggerated leaning away from the left car door in the confined space of a car's front (bucket) seat. Any suggestions?
:mrgreen:
Yes sir. Learn a weak hand draw.
This is how I do it. Flint where are you.
With your right hand slip your fingers between your side & gun butt. Break your retention snap w/ your thumb. Rotate your gun butt out 90%. Butt will be pointed at passenger window & top of your slide against your chest. Take a good grip on your gun as you are rotating it. Draw your gun from holster. As soon as you clear your holster streighten your wrest. That will point your muzzle streight down at your side between your seats. Start muzzle toward dash until you clear your legs. Left arm goes down as you start muzzle toward drivers side door, gun over the top of Left hand & Left hand comes up under gun for 2 hand grip close to your chest or clamp your Left hand against your chest for one hand shot.

That is your draw.

There is one decission that has to be made. Do you draw, drive, or fight. Decide on ONE. I do not recomend that you try to fight w/ one hand & draw w/ the other or try to drive off & draw at the same time. You may fight as you drive off if that is possible. All this is another thread though.

Flint's will be similar when he posts it. Try any differences & use what works best for you.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Kevinf2349 wrote:Flint & LT (sorry for the omission LT)

. :tiphat:

No deal friend. Nothing I do is patented, copyrited, or chisseled in rock.
We both hope you guys find what you need to decide what you want to do.

Topic author
flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 18

Post by flintknapper »

Tam wrote:
I've got a couple of questions.

The first concerns my being left handed, which is problematic from the driver's seat of a vehicle.
Same thing for a “righty” in the passenger seat (threat on strong side). Fortunately, the solution to this one is simple. Don’t use a strong side draw or presentation. You will be drawing and shooting weak hand in this situation.
Getting to the gun under my right arm is easier than with a hip holster, BUT, it seems almost impossible to draw it from under the arm without sweeping either myself, or my passenger.
You will not sweep any front seat passengers or yourself using my weak hand draw-stroke, but anyone directly behind your holster will be “covered” for a short duration when initiating the draw (unavoidable). The one exception would be if you decide to track the muzzle across your thighs instead of tracing over the steering wheel.

That is a personal decision that you must make (or time constraints may dictate). It applies also to strong side IWB, OWB carry.
Plus bringing it to bear against a threat on the left side of the car is extremely difficult without an exaggerated leaning away from the left car door in the confined space of a car's front (bucket) seat.
Yup.
But.. easily accomplished weak hand. That is why we practice “weak hand skills”….right?

TAM, I do not have a left hand holster…but I can illustrate the draw-stroke from MY weak side and you can simply apply it “mirror image”. I can have it posted here by Sunday afternoon, or I can try to explain it now (your choice).

A bit of good advice for everyone: NEVER have a practice session where you don’t fire at least 6 rounds “weak hand”. Also, examine your mode of carry to determine if you can even get to your weapon (using only your weak hand), strong side carriers have difficulty with this. Draw-strokes, access and dry firing can all be done at home. But don’t neglect to live fire “weak hand” anytime you are at the range practicing.

Flint.

Added: O.K I see LT types faster than I do. (good job).

He explained the weak hand draw very well. I can puts pics to it...if that will help.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

thelurker

Post by thelurker »

Thanks to you both for taking time to cover this topic. I recently started carrying in a s/h from time to time, and I really enjoy the level of comfort it offers. I'll be practicing soon with your suggestions to make sure I'm making a correct presentation.

On a side note, LT, I'd like to know more about the knife under your left arm. If it's not too off topic, please give some details about what you're carrying and how its done.

Thank you!
TSRA Life Member/NRA Endowment Member/Veteran

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

thelurker wrote:Thanks to you both for taking time to cover this topic. I recently started carrying in a s/h from time to time, and I really enjoy the level of comfort it offers. I'll be practicing soon with your suggestions to make sure I'm making a correct presentation.

On a side note, LT, I'd like to know more about the knife under your left arm. If it's not too off topic, please give some details about what you're carrying and how its done.

Thank you!
Dont mind at all. Will start another thread tomorrow. It is past my bed time now.
Remember Flint is knife authority here too.

Topic author
flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 18

Post by flintknapper »

mikeintexas wrote:Thanks Flint and LT for putting your time into this.

A friend built me a shoulder rig from a Tandy pattern a couple of years ago. The difference is mine was built to hold the pistol vertically. Being right handed, this holster has a wide strap that fits over my left shoulder and a narrow strap that crosses in the back and goes around the front of your right shoulder. While my holster may not sweep as many body parts when drawing already being vertical, it does not have a place to carry spare mags or a flashlight.

I now use a Supertuck IWB almost exclusively. We are a hugging congregation and I got a couple of funny looks with the shoulder rig! :???:
Yes, same thing at my church, lots of hugging.

Everyone at my church has known for years that I "carry". No big deal, several other members do too...and our pastor is an avid shooter.

All I can offer is this: Try to beat the other person to the "hug" and go low, it forces them to reach up and outside your arms. Doesn't always work...but you can try.

It is comical....some of the looks you get though. :mrgreen:
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

I'm speechless.

If anyone ever doubted why this is the best Forum on the Net...well here 'ya go.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Flint wrote

Added: O.K I see LT types faster than I do.

He explained the weak hand draw very well. I can puts pics to it...if that will help.

Thank you for doing the pics, Flint.

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”