Shoulder Holster Solutions.......

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

carlson1
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Shoulder Holster Solutions.......

Post by carlson1 »

C-dub wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:58 pm For everyone that uses a shoulder holster, another, but different question.

Once you've gotten your rig adjusted how you like it, do you trim off the excess strap? Or do you somehow affix it to the other side with double sided tape or another method? Now that I've had mine set for quite a while now and think I'm happy with it the way it is I'm torn between leaving the excess or trimming it off.

I'm a bit of a pack rat and don't like throwing things away that I might need in the future. :skep:
I carried mine to the shoe shop and had them put two extra holes in each strap. Then I used Chicago Screws to hold the extra in place.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 4

Post by C-dub »

carlson1 wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:05 pm
C-dub wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:58 pm For everyone that uses a shoulder holster, another, but different question.

Once you've gotten your rig adjusted how you like it, do you trim off the excess strap? Or do you somehow affix it to the other side with double sided tape or another method? Now that I've had mine set for quite a while now and think I'm happy with it the way it is I'm torn between leaving the excess or trimming it off.

I'm a bit of a pack rat and don't like throwing things away that I might need in the future. :skep:
I carried mine to the shoe shop and had them put two extra holes in each strap. Then I used Chicago Screws to hold the extra in place.
That's one of the things I was thinking about doing, but didn't know what the screws were called to be able to look for them. :thumbs2:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

txbirddog

Post by txbirddog »

I cut mine and wish I didn’t. :banghead:

I have a Miami Classic that I would like to wear but the barrel kind of prints when I lean forward when wearing a fitted suit jacket. Any fitment advice would be great. The holster was made for a FS M&P

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

txbirddog wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:51 pm

I have a Miami Classic that I would like to wear but the barrel kind of prints when I lean forward when wearing a fitted suit jacket. Any fitment advice would be great. The holster was made for a FS M&P
I haven't cut mine because I figured over time I'll always be tinkering with the adjustments. I also could not find any Chicago/Barrel screws that weren't too long at any hardware store. I also couldn't find any online that were the right length until I had this brilliant idea to check with Galco. Duh! They haven't arrived yet, but I ordered three sets of 4 each in order to have a couple spares. I'm going to have to punch a few extra holes because there is flap where there aren't any holes.

For your issue with printing: I think that will always be an issue with a shoulder holster and then even more so with a fitted suit jacket. I suppose you could try and have it altered so that it wouldn't print as bad. The other option is to toy with the angle of the cant of the holster to see if that could minimize the printing. However, since you've cut your extra straps off the only way to try it that way would be to get another rig and some extra barrel screws or just try double sided tape for a while until you get it how you want it.

I guess our choices might come down to how much the printing bothers you and what's the cost of alterations to how many jackets versus a new holster.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

txbirddog

Post by txbirddog »

C-dub wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:23 am

I haven't cut mine because I figured over time I'll always be tinkering with the adjustments. I also could not find any Chicago/Barrel screws that weren't too long at any hardware store. I also couldn't find any online that were the right length until I had this brilliant idea to check with Galco. Duh! They haven't arrived yet, but I ordered three sets of 4 each in order to have a couple spares. I'm going to have to punch a few extra holes because there is flap where there aren't any holes.

For your issue with printing: I think that will always be an issue with a shoulder holster and then even more so with a fitted suit jacket. I suppose you could try and have it altered so that it wouldn't print as bad. The other option is to toy with the angle of the cant of the holster to see if that could minimize the printing. However, since you've cut your extra straps off the only way to try it that way would be to get another rig and some extra barrel screws or just try double sided tape for a while until you get it how you want it.

I guess our choices might come down to how much the printing bothers you and what's the cost of alterations to how many jackets versus a new holster.

The printing doesn’t really bother me......I just worry that the little old lady in the pew behind me might feint. :tiphat:

Jusme
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jusme »

txbirddog wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:25 pm
C-dub wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:23 am

The printing doesn’t really bother me......I just worry that the little old lady in the pew behind me might feint. :tiphat:

I seriously doubt anyone would notice. Unless they are also LTC holders, or LEO, who train to look for "bulges" etc. and those folks won't care.
I OC on a regular basis, and I would bet that 75-85% of the people I see, don't even notice that. I know they don't notice when I CC, even though I know I am "printing".
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

C-dub wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:09 pm
carlson1 wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:05 pm

That's one of the things I was thinking about doing, but didn't know what the screws were called to be able to look for them. :thumbs2:
I found loads of Chicago screws or barrel screws, but none with a shallow enough depth to work like the originals. I did find some that were close (double the depth) that weren't too bad, but then I had a thought. Duh, why not see if Galco sells these things a la cart. :oops: They do!

I bought three sets of four and they arrived last week. I found a leather hole punch today and got everything into place. Then I took them all apart one by one applying a dab of blue loctite before screwing them back into place. Viola!

Now we're in business. :anamatedbanana

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”