Fnding extremely hard to holster using IWB in a Car

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
BCGlocker
Posts in topic: 7

Fnding extremely hard to holster using IWB in a Car

Post by BCGlocker »

I use a Glock 23 and an IWB King Tuk at 4:30 position as my EDC. When I get into my car, I unholster the G23 and place it in my DIY steering column mount holster. When I arrived at my destination, I found it almost impossible to holster the G23 while seated in the car. For obvious reasons, I do not wish to step out of my car and holster in the parking lot with full views of all bystanders. After much contortion and numerous sweeps of the load pistol to several parts of my body, I manage to get the pistol back in the IWB holster, all the while looking out 360 for people walking by.

Anyone else have the same problem? Any thoughts? BTW, I do not wish to use ankle holster (I wear shorts in the summer), cross draw (not as concealable when walking) or any type of undergarment (too hot) carry.
Last edited by BCGlocker on Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Texas LTC Instructor
Texas SSO Instructor
USCCA Certified Instructor
Range Master Certified Instructor

oohrah
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Does anyone finding extremely hard to holster using IWB

Post by oohrah »

I have exactly the same problem with an IWB holster. I park in a garage, so I can re-holster while standing up outside my car without being seen, but I have found that it is hazardous to try and re-holster at all. I worry about the trigger getting caught, and the slide starts to come back. The who;e disarming thing is a potential for ND.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Topic author
BCGlocker

Post by BCGlocker »

oohrah wrote:I have exactly the same problem with an IWB holster. I park in a garage, so I can re-holster while standing up outside my car without being seen, but I have found that it is hazardous to try and re-holster at all. I worry about the trigger getting caught, and the slide starts to come back. The who;e disarming thing is a potential for ND.
I am with you brother! Especially with the slide coming back, a very unease feeling. Not to mention breaking numerous safety rules.
Texas LTC Instructor
Texas SSO Instructor

Javier730

Post by Javier730 »

I carry a glock 23 in a galco king tuk. The only solution for me is not to unholster. It was a bit uncomfortable at first but you get used to it. Drawing it is not a problem with a little practice. Of course its not as fast as drawing when standing but my gas petal and steering wheel would be my first choice if I found myself in a situation.
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

Topic author
BCGlocker

Post by BCGlocker »

oohrah wrote:I have exactly the same problem with an IWB holster. I park in a garage, so I can re-holster while standing up outside my car without being seen, but I have found that it is hazardous to try and re-holster at all. I worry about the trigger getting caught, and the slide starts to come back. The who;e disarming thing is a potential for ND.

Oohrah, watch out for the hidden cameras in many garages when you holster. Just saying….
Texas LTC Instructor
Texas SSO Instructor

Topic author
BCGlocker

Post by BCGlocker »

Javier730 wrote:I carry a glock 23 in a galco king tuk. The only solution for me is not to unholster. It was a bit uncomfortable at first but you get used to it. Drawing it is not a problem with a little practice. Of course its not as fast as drawing when standing but my gas petal and steering wheel would be my first choice if I found myself in a situation.
Since it is such pain to unholster and reholster in the car, unless it is a drive over 30-min, I too just leave it in the King Tuk.
Texas LTC Instructor
Texas SSO Instructor

suthdj

Re: Fnding extremely hard to holster using IWB in a Car

Post by suthdj »

Simple buy another gun for your car then you don't have to re-holster.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

Holstering isn't safe. Or, maybe more correctly, there are ways to discharge a gun when holstering it that must be recognized.

When you press the handgun down into the holster, if your shirttail or a coat drawstring can wander into your trigger guard, you are going to be at risk.

I always tuck my shirt in behind my IWB holster before holstering the gun. If I'm wearing a jacket, I open it and reach behind me with my weak hand to grab the jacket and retract it fully away from my holster, which I wear about about 4 o'clock. I don't want loose cloth anywhere near my holster. Imagine the gun holstered with your shirt fed in with the gun. Now you pull up on your shirt to drape it over your gun, or to tuck it in if you have a tuck holster. The shirt might pull the trigger, it might dislodge the gun - nothing good comes from anything but the gun in the holster.

Despite popular tactical training to holster your gun without looking, I always, always check the holster. I like to transfer my gun to my weak hand, usually by grasping it by the slide to avoid juggling it by the grip, and sweep the holster with my fingers, just to be sure nothing foreign is there.

Work out ways to proactively guarantee the gun won't discharge. Take your holster off and watch how the gun slides in. Inventory every way things could turn pear-shaped.

Be safe. If you have to work too much to re-holster, it might have undue risk.

Topic author
BCGlocker

Post by BCGlocker »

suthdj wrote:Simple buy another gun for your car then you don't have to re-holster.

That is not an option for me as I do not wish leave a loaded gun in my car unattended.
Texas LTC Instructor
Texas SSO Instructor

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

Take some time at home to work this out with an UNLOADED gun.

I carry IWB at roughly the same position. When I have to holster in my car, I leave the door open and my left leg outside my car so that I am seated at an angle when I holster. At that position, I have easier access to the holster and I can keep clothing from getting in the way.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

I carry a M&P Shield appendix in a Zorn holster. Whenever I need to disarm, I can undo the holster from my belt with the snap attached to the soft belt loop. The Shield is thin enough that both the gun and the holster can fit into my Nanovault 200. It takes some pushing, but it fits. When I carried my Glock 19, I had to unholster it before putting it into the Nanovault. Because it left the holster, I would unload it first.

Appendix carry (for me at least) is comfortable up until about 1 to 2 hours on the road, and it's fairly easy to draw. I don't reholster with the holster on though. Even though I always reholster carefully, I'm much more comfortable taking the holster off, putting my gun in it, and then putting it back on, at least when I'm seated.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

PaJ

Post by PaJ »

I have the same issue, so had to devise a plan for a 2nd gun. Sometimes I wear a Kangaroo Carry, but it is warm in the summer time. But I like the access from most any position. I also have no problem with looking when I holster. That's a skill that LEOs need but regular guys (like me) would rarely, if ever, need.

Lately, I carry my Sig P938 in an IWB holster and my HK P30 in my EDC bag. When in my car I can easily remove the P30 from my bag so it's accessible and return it to the bag when I park. If someone drags me out of my truck and I cannot get to my P30, I still have my P938 on my hip. On a short trip I may not have my EDC with me. But for work, etc. it stays with me and near my person. But my 938 is always with me.

I've had a briefcase stolen from my truck. Fortunately there was no firearm in it, but it did have my laptop, ipad, passport, and more. So I don't leave firearms (or briefcases) in my vehicle if at all possible. If I do, they are additionally secured in a vault, locked in a glove box or some additional method of at least giving more resistance to a bad guy.

VMI77
Posts in topic: 2

Post by VMI77 »

I used to have that problem when I carried IWB. Now I only carry OWB and it's no longer a problem. Even OWB, some holsters are easier to use than others....a Blackhawk Serpa holster is very easy on re-holstering.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

remington79

Post by remington79 »

I can carry in a car IWB with little discomfort. I carry closer to 3 o'clock though. You might have it too far back and have it dig into you more.
Sent to you from Galt's Gulch.

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

Can you recline your seat back all the way? This would put you in a prone position where you could turn to left side giving you better access to your holster.
You're fortunate that you can carry IWB. I tried it and found it to be very uncomfortable regardless of gun position. It was also difficult for me to draw the gun.

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”