Alien Gear CloakMount In-Vehicle Locations

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Mysguidednlv
Posts in topic: 5

Alien Gear CloakMount In-Vehicle Locations

Post by Mysguidednlv »

I recently purchased an Alien Gear CloakTuck 3.0 RHD and got the Cloak Mount to go with it. I was intending on mounting it underneath the sterring column or possibly just to the right of it (mounting in a 2014 Ram 1500) but I couldn't seem to find a good surface and was worried about my firearm "slapping" around on bumpy roads due to the near-horizontal angle of the mounting surface.

Because of this, I opted to mount it on the driver side door panel just below the armrest:
RenderedContent-BC9A2A65-860E-4A33-9C6F-D81AF70F5906.JPG
RenderedContent-0CD623B6-E384-4B96-82A8-6A07114D3C96.JPG
RenderedContent-5F9540C7-0F42-41AD-ABAC-A901F2BB68C0.JPG
Has anyone else had experience with mounting one of these an a Ram or similar vehicle? My big concerns with the current location are 1) visibility (particularly if I get pulled over), and 2) pull angle.. I'm right strong and the forward Kant on my left is less than ideal.

My initial thought is to move it further back on the door panel and start practicing my left hand draws ... :???: Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Alien Gear CloakMount In-Vehicle Locations

Post by TreyHouston »

here is how I did mine! now I drive a company vehicle and I have to figure something out! :grumble
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Topic author
Mysguidednlv

Post by Mysguidednlv »

Thanks Trey.. I'd love to mount in a similar location but unfortunately I don't have a center floor console (front seat is a split bench), though I've been toying with installing one in my truck in the near future. The downside to that is that because I'm using the IWB RHD holster, the firearm would essentially be flipped upside down.

I did see a review on who-tube were someone was using the cloak mount under the steering column and was having issues with the firearm banging around on gravel roads.

Anyway, like the video and the wrap job on the company car!

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

you might not have much choice than to leave it on the door. yes, its on the left side but it will be very easy to arm and disarm with it on the door. If you are aware, you will have enough time to get it out the door. Looks nice, I like the set up you have.

Zombified
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Zombified »

Just an observation TreyHouston, but are you the only one that drives that vehicle? What if someone shorter has to move the seat forward? Would it still be as comfortable to you if you had to move it forward a bit to accomodate shorter drivers?

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

Zombified wrote:Just an observation TreyHouston, but are you the only one that drives that vehicle? What if someone shorter has to move the seat forward? Would it still be as comfortable to you if you had to move it forward a bit to accomodate shorter drivers?
"Now, i drive a company vehicle". I should have added that comma to begin with!!! Thats my old car. Im selling it now. I got a new job, and the company gave me a SUV to drive. I am the only one who drives it so I dont know how they would know if I had a gun.....

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Just a question or two. Will this gun be visible if you open the door? If so, its possible it would not meet the OC laws set forth.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Topic author
Mysguidednlv

Post by Mysguidednlv »

Absolutely would be visible... I'm in the process of constructing a charcoal colored fabric "cover" of sorts that snaps in to place when I need it covered. Was considering adhesive Velcro, but with the Texas heat, it would only be a matter of time before it fell off. Don't trust the "towel" method given that gravity never lets up.

I'll post some pics when it's finished, hope to have it done by this weekend.

Topic author
Mysguidednlv

Post by Mysguidednlv »

Alllllright.... Just finished my little door mount cover project. I should preface this by stating that I am, by no means, skilled at sewing or stitching. In fact, this was my first time stitching with a sewing machine, so the hemmed edges are a bit rough. Not too noticeable from the front though.

Anyway, here are the pics...
RenderedContent-6C70F8AA-FFBA-4D8A-9CDB-8CF7609C11BF.JPG
RenderedContent-0EF5396A-3FF1-4965-A4ED-302185360244.JPG
RenderedContent-7BE19C3D-2A49-4FEB-A4D5-D70DCEBDB385.JPG
It was really inexpensive. $10 for a yard of material and$8 for a pack of snaps and a snap punch tool.

Hopefully this takes care of any issues I otherwise would have had opening my door or having to leave my holster and firearm in the truck. It's not very noticeable looking through the passenger window, so that worked out really well.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Mysguidednlv wrote:Alllllright.... Just finished my little door mount cover project. I should preface this by stating that I am, by no means, skilled at sewing or stitching. In fact, this was my first time stitching with a sewing machine, so the hemmed edges are a bit rough. Not too noticeable from the front though.

It was really inexpensive. $10 for a yard of material and$8 for a pack of snaps and a snap punch tool.

Hopefully this takes care of any issues I otherwise would have had opening my door or having to leave my holster and firearm in the truck. It's not very noticeable looking through the passenger window, so that worked out really well.
I like it. Good job.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Mysguidednlv wrote:Alllllright.... Just finished my little door mount cover project. I should preface this by stating that I am, by no means, skilled at sewing or stitching. In fact, this was my first time stitching with a sewing machine, so the hemmed edges are a bit rough. Not too noticeable from the front though.

I like that!!

I hadn't considered a snap on cover, but I may do something like that for my wife's car. (she doesn't have her LTC but she has been carrying in her car) It will make it much more accessible, than under the console lid, and also less visible, while driving.
Thanks for the pics, now I need to get busy.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Topic author
Mysguidednlv

Post by Mysguidednlv »

Jusme wrote:

I like that!!

I hadn't considered a snap on cover, but I may do something like that for my wife's car. (she doesn't have her LTC but she has been carrying in her car) It will make it much more accessible, than under the console lid, and also less visible, while driving.
Thanks for the pics, now I need to get busy.
Happy to share an idea... that's why we're here, right? :cheers2: Would love to see how things turn out!

WinoVeritas

Post by WinoVeritas »

Don't have the AG system, but did buy a couple of - https://benchmasterusa.com/single-gun-p ... elcro-hook - attached companion Velcro strip (not sure why Benchmaster sells without mating strip) on backside of center console in F150 & Blazer. Securely holds all by carries and makes for easy access when driving. If long trip my EDC is on me and console has a larger capacity pistol ready to go.

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”