AR Scope Suggestions

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
n5wmk
Posts in topic: 3

AR Scope Suggestions

Post by n5wmk »

I have a Ruger AR-556, 16" barrel, 1:8 twist. I like the rifle a lot, and have installed a Timney 2-stage trigger. Now I would like to upgrade the scope on it. As a package, it came with a low-end (cheap) 2-6 power scope. But the scope is pretty low grade, and has a fair amount of parallax. Locked down, you can watch the cross hairs move left to right as you move your eye-sight axis left to right.

I'm used to nice scopes on standard bolt-action hunting rifles, but not that familiar with what works best on an AR platform, so I figured I'd ask the experts here on the forum. I tried searching the forum, but didn't see anything that answered my questions.

Looking for suggestions on a scope that won't break my pocketbook. In 2-4 or 2-6 zoom range. Maybe with lighted dot reticle. Bullet drop compensator would be nice, but not mandatory. Primary use would be target shooting out to 200 yards, some hunting.

Thanks!
EDC CZ 2075 RAMI
NRA Benefactor Life Member
USAF 1972-1980
Texas A&M -1980-1984

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 1

Re: AR Scope Suggestions

Post by TreyHouston »

Agreed And watching.....
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

mupepe

Post by mupepe »

What's your budget? I use a Leupold vx-2 on one of my AR's and a Redfield Revolution on another. I used both out to 300 but I'm currently trying to get better at 200 and they work great there. I got the Leupold for $200 and the revolution for $100

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Look what showed up in my email today. Just happens to fit this thread.

https://www.midwayusa.com/promo/g100cvt ... _-20170720
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Nikon P223 is what I've been running since Christmas and have enjoyed it very much. Holds zero and won't break the bank

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I'd second the Vortex 1-8x StrikeEagle as the minimum for the quality of that trigger. But I wouldn't bother spending more unless you're interested in shooting at really extended ranges.....like past 600 yards, which your carbine isn't really suited for anyway. The StrikeEagle's reticle subtends to 600 yards, so that's about perfect.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
n5wmk

Post by n5wmk »

Thanks, everyone. I've decided on the Nikon P223 per cmgee67's recommendation. I have a Nikon on my Rem 700CDL in .25-06, and really like the Nikon quality. The Vortex Strike Eagle looks really nice, but that's a bit more that I wanted to spend, and I would have had to get another mount for it. The Nikon has a 1" tube, same as my current scope, so I can reuse the existing mount. Ordered the Nikon from Midway, should arrive Tuesday.
EDC CZ 2075 RAMI
USAF 1972-1980
Texas A&M -1980-1984

maverick2076

Post by maverick2076 »

I second the PA ACSS. It its the same scope as the Vortex Strike Eagle, made in the same factory, but with the superior (IMO) ACSS reticle.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

I have the Burris XTR-2 1-5X with similar reticle but no man-tall ranging stadia. However, it has Target Turrets. So you can dial and shoot or use the BDC for and score hits up 500 yards. It is more expensive and now there is 1-8X model

http://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/xtr- ... e-1-5x24mm
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Edward Cullen

Post by Edward Cullen »

Depends on your budget. Nikon, Vortex, and Leupold are good scope brands. I prefer Leupold.
Last edited by Edward Cullen on Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
n5wmk

Post by n5wmk »

n5wmk wrote:Thanks, everyone. I've decided on the Nikon P223 per cmgee67's recommendation. I have a Nikon on my Rem 700CDL in .25-06, and really like the Nikon quality. The Vortex Strike Eagle looks really nice, but that's a bit more that I wanted to spend, and I would have had to get another mount for it. The Nikon has a 1" tube, same as my current scope, so I can reuse the existing mount. Ordered the Nikon from Midway, should arrive Tuesday.
As a follow up on this, I did get the Nikon P223 and it's installed and sighted in. The reticle is designed for zero at 100 yards, then it has the graduations for 200 to 600 yards below the crosshairs. I boresighted it first at about 20 feet, putting the reticle about 2.5 inches above the bore. Then I took it to Bullet Trap which only has 25 yards. Used a ballistic calculator to determine the 25 yards sight-in, and got it set within 5 rounds. My final 10 rounds at 25 yards I could cover with a dime. I did my final tweaking at 100 yards, and was able to get 1.5" groups at 100 yards. I haven't had a chance to shoot beyond 100 yards yet. I do like the scope, and I thank everyone here for recommendations. BTW, the Timney 2-stage trigger is really nice!
EDC CZ 2075 RAMI
USAF 1972-1980
Texas A&M -1980-1984

equin

Post by equin »

mupepe wrote:What's your budget? I use a Leupold vx-2 on one of my AR's and a Redfield Revolution on another. I used both out to 300 but I'm currently trying to get better at 200 and they work great there. I got the Leupold for $200 and the revolution for $100
Which VX-2 do you have? The 1-4x20mm? I just ordered that one for my 16” AR15 and am anxious to see how it works for me at 200 yds.
Ed

equin

Post by equin »

n5wmk wrote:Thanks, everyone. I've decided on the Nikon P223 per cmgee67's recommendation. I have a Nikon on my Rem 700CDL in .25-06, and really like the Nikon quality. The Vortex Strike Eagle looks really nice, but that's a bit more that I wanted to spend, and I would have had to get another mount for it. The Nikon has a 1" tube, same as my current scope, so I can reuse the existing mount. Ordered the Nikon from Midway, should arrive Tuesday.
I was looking at that one as well.
Ed

lama

Post by lama »

I can not comment on the specific Burris scope mentioned above but I like their products. The AR-332 is a fixed 3x that I have enjoyed shooting on my Father In-Law's AR.

https://www.burrisoptics.com/sights/ar- ... ies/ar-332

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”