Wheel gun carry

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
longtooth
Posts in topic: 11

Wheel gun carry

Post by longtooth »

I am old and still like to carry my revolver.
Have been looking for a high quality thumb break holster for my RugerGP100 3" barrel for a while. No real luck.
Would also consider a kydex level 2. But have found nothing there at all.

Who carries a full size revolver OC and what do you carry it in.
Thank you for your help.
LT
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

OlBill
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Wheel gun carry

Post by OlBill »

My answer is in your sig line picture. Although I wouldn't consider it full size. I carry a Ruger vaquero 3.75".

I also have an El Paso shoulder rig for it that is very comfortable.

txhighlander
Posts in topic: 1

Post by txhighlander »

Simply Rugged now has a thumb break holster, I carry my 3” model 65 in a Simply Rugged pancake, my Ruger service six 4” in a DeSantis thumb break I purchased from Cops Plus online. Both work well. If Simply Rugged had the thumb break available I would have gone with it. It’s simply difficult to get much better than Simply Rugged. :biggrinjester:
Truth against the world

Topic author
longtooth

Post by longtooth »

OlBill wrote:My answer is in your sig line picture. Although I wouldn't consider it full size. I carry a Ruger vaquero 3.75".

I have been to his site. HF3 is $121.00 for holster plain. Not interested in tooled or conchos.
add thumb break = $45.00
Tax and shipping is going to make that nearly a $200.00 holster.
When I was younger and working all the time I did not mind paying a little more for His name. Now as old as I am that is a little steep.
May have too though.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

You might look at Don Hume H727.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Take Down Sicko

Post by Take Down Sicko »

I had the same problem finding a leather holster for my S&W 686 revolver. I finally settled for a cheap Bianchi i happened into while browsing around at Gander Mountain before they closed down. Turned out to be a pretty good holster after all.
Last edited by Take Down Sicko on Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

OlBill

Post by OlBill »

longtooth wrote:
OlBill wrote:My answer is in your sig line picture. Although I wouldn't consider it full size. I carry a Ruger vaquero 3.75".

I have been to his site. HF3 is $121.00 for holster plain. Not interested in tooled or conchos.
add thumb break = $45.00
Tax and shipping is going to make that nearly a $200.00 holster.
When I was younger and working all the time I did not mind paying a little more for His name. Now as old as I am that is a little steep.
May have too though.
I have 4 and some belts. In my opinion they're worth every penny.

Topic author
longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Probably what I will do. He sure make some good holsters.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

longtooth wrote:I am old and still like to carry my revolver.
Have been looking for a high quality thumb break holster for my RugerGP100 3" barrel for a while. No real luck.
Would also consider a kydex level 2. But have found nothing there at all.

Who carries a full size revolver OC and what do you carry it in.
Thank you for your help.
LT
LT, as you well know, I have handled that Ruger of yours and admired it with a lustful eye. I think I have a solution for you...... send it to me, and let ME carry.....uhhhh.... I mean let me assume the burden of finding a good holster for it. :mrgreen:

In the meantime: Safariland Mode 5 Belt Slide with thumb break

Safariland 111 Cyclone Belt Holster with Thumb Break
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Lena

Post by Lena »

I carried a 2-1/2" 66 for many years before we were allowed to carry a SA as primary duty, prior to that a 4" 19 all in a similar holster to your new one, they ride great and very practical also. I am lucky to still own both these fine S&W's, they presented my the 66 with name ingraved in it when I left.
Stay Safe

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

I often locally (rural and small town area) carry a Ruger Security Six with 4-inch barrel. I ordered a Cattleman OWB belt holster from Simply Rugged Holsters, along with a gun belt and speed strip pouch. The holster can be ordered with a snap-type strap, or a hammer thong. The holster, pouch, and revolver will likely all outlast me (middle-aged guy). I wear the belt with other firearms/holsters, as well, so it MAY not outlast me. Give them a look, see what you think.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Side question: If a revolver is also referred to as a 'Wheel Gun', would it be fair to call a semi-auto a 'Rectangular Gun'?

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

I carry my 4 5/8’s inch Ruger Vaquero in an El Paso saddlery holster with a leather hammer thong. Mine is pig skin lined and it holds the gun perfectly. That holster will out last me. I was reluctant to spend that much on a holster but after seeing them and considering what I paid for my Vaquero it was worth it it deserved it. It being a single action the trigger exposed is no biggie but the do may concleaed carry rigs. The wait is worth it!

TxD

Post by TxD »

[quote="Abraham"]Side question: If a revolver is also referred to as a 'Wheel Gun', would it be fair to call a semi-auto a 'Rectangular Gun'?[/quote]
No, it's a bottom feeder. :mrgreen:
Black Rifles Matter

Topic author
longtooth

Post by longtooth »

K.Mooneyham wrote:I often locally (rural and small town area) carry a Ruger Security Six with 4-inch barrel. I ordered a Cattleman OWB belt holster from Simply Rugged Holsters, along with a gun belt and speed strip pouch. The holster can be ordered with a snap-type strap, or a hammer thong. The holster, pouch, and revolver will likely all outlast me (middle-aged guy). I wear the belt with other firearms/holsters, as well, so it MAY not outlast me. Give them a look, see what you think.
Thank you & I will look at this one.

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”