Fat Guy Carry...

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
fwant
Posts in topic: 1

Fat Guy Carry...

Post by fwant »

As a fat guy, I was wondering if ther are any other "girthier" guys out there... I'm looking for recommoendations on holsters? And how you're carrying (3, 5 o'clock)? Am I going to have to get a special belt for a holster too? Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Anthony

Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 15

Re: Fat Guy Carry...

Post by Grundy1133 »

fwant wrote:As a fat guy, I was wondering if ther are any other "girthier" guys out there... I'm looking for recommoendations on holsters? And how you're carrying (3, 5 o'clock)? Am I going to have to get a special belt for a holster too? Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Anthony
im 6'2" 300+ lbs and im a south paw and i carry at 9 o clock with a hybrid. the holster still digs into my love handle but the leather makes it a LOT less painful than kydex. right now i ahve just a thick leather belt that ive had for 10+ years an di constantly find myself pulling up my pants so i went to gunbelts.com andbought one of those steel core gun belts. if you prefer kydex (which i do because its so easy to just slide on and slide off when you need to) I'd probably carry at around 8 o clock... also check out the 300th parallel on youtube. i find appendix carry comfortable that way (and i have a pretty big gut haha.) but not for long periods of time.
NRA Member

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

here ya go. http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic. ... t=beer+gut a topic i posted a bit ago.
NRA Member

NNT
Posts in topic: 2

Post by NNT »

I made an IWB hybrid like crossbreed for a Sccy cpx2. I dont need special belt. I carry at about 5 and it is very comfortable. I always wear undershirt so I get no rubbing.

Similar size to grundy1133

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

NNT wrote:I made an IWB hybrid like crossbreed for a Sccy cpx2. I dont need special belt. I carry at about 5 and it is very comfortable. I always wear undershirt so I get no rubbing.

Similar size to grundy1133
what kinda undershirts do you wear? all the shirts i find either come untucked, or are so heavy that they get way too hot.
NRA Member

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

on my weak side I carry an IWB single mag holster as well. With the kydex (in the pic) the gun jabs my side but as I mentioned with the leather hybrid style holsters the leather cushions the jabbing lol. but im torn between comfort and ease of access. If I can find a kydex that doesnt stab my fat gut id definitely choose kydex over hybrid just for easy maneuverability
Last edited by Grundy1133 on Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Member

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Welcome to the Fourm Family.

I am probably one of the largest members here (not bragging rather ashamed of it). Beltman is your best belt in my opinion. You are correct about using a good belt. That is half of the problem when it comes to carrying all day. The over half is a good holster.

I carry IWB appendix some with a Glock 43. I mostly carry between 3:00-4:30 when carrying OWB. I always carry concealed except when I am at my office. Of course it is easier to conceal IWB. I like leather holsters the best, but do use kydex a lot. I always wear t-shirts even when wearing a t-shirt rather than a button up.

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

carlson1 wrote:Beltman is your best belt in my opinion.
is that a website?
NRA Member

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

Grundy1133 wrote:
is that a website?[/quote

Thebeltman.net

ET-Ret

Post by ET-Ret »

I wear suspenders and don't use a belt wear loose clothes and carry a LCP in my left pocket
From a draw I have a 10 yard target with 6 380hp holes you can cover with a teacup.
Sometime its prints a little but I have never heard anyone comment. I am running over 300# and as old as I am most would not supect
I am carrying. I have a fond experience in my youth of putting on a Sam brown rig with a S&W 6.5 " model 29 loaded walking across a farmers field
about a 1/4 mi and ready to part with that rig. I wish I could have it back I sold it and it would be worth about $2500 buck today. (1960)
ET-ret

Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

I use a Virdian TACLOC it’s very comfortable for EDC, I do have a separate holster under my steering wheel in the truck, it really makes traveling much more comfortable
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

WTR wrote:
Grundy1133 wrote:
is that a website?[/quote

Thebeltman.net
That is the one.
https://www.thebeltman.net

David had offered members here a discount and I bet he would still honor that.
http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php? ... t#p1172905

magillapd

Post by magillapd »

I'm a big guy too.

I always wear thin t-shirt to keep from rubbing. Buy my holsters & belt from R Grizzle. I bought duty suspenders so I could get the belt keppers with the suspender tab. I wear an overshirt to conceal everything. Does get a little warm but I'm used to it.

I wear in about the 5'oclockish position w/G19, G26 or G23.

I am looking to buy non streach suspenders to hold everything where I want it.

I also have an older uncle mikes horizontal shoulder holster that I wear under button up shirts.

Have plenty of options.
“I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant”
NRA- Life member :patriot:
TSRA - Conditional Life Member :txflag:

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

I carry at 3 o'clock IWB in a NSR holster (full kydex with soft loop snaps), IWB dual mag carrier from Dale Fricke at 9 o'clock. I'm 6'2" 330 lbs. Oh and I'm also using a Super Bio belt from Daltech.
NRA Benefactor Member

LimaCharlie3

Post by LimaCharlie3 »

I like options. I prefer owb with an untucked shirt. When I can’t do that I carry a Berretta Pico in the front pocket. I can conceal a “big” gun iwb at 4 o’clock comfortably, as well. Sure I’m gonna feel it sometimes. In all cases I carry a spare mag in a horizontal knife case owb on the weak side. Keep in mind that in normal everyday passing, nobody will notice a print or bottom of holster peeking out.

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”