Paddle Holster: Inside the pants or just the belt?

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
oohrah
Posts in topic: 3

Paddle Holster: Inside the pants or just the belt?

Post by oohrah »

(This is not a question about whether a paddle holster is considered a legal belt holster for open carry.)

I was shooting steel with my PX4 in a Fobus paddle holster. The paddle was between my jeans and belt (so the bottom hooks would catch on the belt). The RSO was unhappy with the rearward cant and commented that the paddle should be inside my jeans.

Doesn't make sense to me, considering the hooks, and could find no consensus with a search. Comments?
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Paddle Holster: Inside the pants or just the belt?

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I always wear mine (I have several) with the paddle inside my pants. They hold just fine, plus the paddle doesn’t them block access to pockets and such.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

When I wear a paddle holster, I put the paddle inside my pants. It would be hard to position it just inside the belt given the spacing of my belt loops.

mloamiller

Post by mloamiller »

I always wear mine inside the pants - I think it looks better, and as TAM said, doesn't block access to pockets. I don't have any issue with it being secure, either - the hooks are able to get a sufficient bite on the belt, even through jeans.

Don't know if there is a "right" and "wrong" way, but the pictures on Fobus' website show them inside the pants as well.
LTC/SSC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:When I wear a paddle holster, I put the paddle inside my pants. It would be hard to position it just inside the belt given the spacing of my belt loops.
:iagree:
For my paddle holster, paddle goes inside the waist band. For my paddle mag pouch, paddle goes outside the waist band. Works for me.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Topic author
oohrah
Posts in topic: 3

Post by oohrah »

Well, interesting, thanks. Seems to be a consensus.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

txbirddog

Post by txbirddog »

oohrah wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 8:30 pm Well, interesting, thanks. Seems to be a consensus.
Yep. I agree

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

oohrah wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:08 am (This is not a question about whether a paddle holster is considered a legal belt holster for open carry.)

I was shooting steel with my PX4 in a Fobus paddle holster. The paddle was between my jeans and belt (so the bottom hooks would catch on the belt). The RSO was unhappy with the rearward cant and commented that the paddle should be inside my jeans.

Doesn't make sense to me, considering the hooks, and could find no consensus with a search. Comments?
Mind if I ask what position you are wearing the holster on your hip (ie, 3 o'clock, 4-4:30, etc)? For some reason I'm visualizing it at the 3 o'clock (since the RSO didn't like the cant while shooting steel I'm picturing it on the hip at 3 o'clock). If so, I'd suggest moving it back a bit (depending on how aggressive the cant is) might improve your draw stroke.

cirus

Post by cirus »

I wear my Safariland inside the pants with no belt. If my pants are loose enough to need a belt I go leather. I carry a P220 or 1911.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

ITP - Inside The Pants

I even put the paddle of my double mag carrier ITP. It is more secure that way and just flops around too much if only ITB/OTP. ;-)
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Try it both ways and just go with what works for you... As long as your rig is stable and secure and your comfortable with it then your good to go....

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

If the Forbus holster is meant to go inside your waist band then why is it designed with hooks to fit under your belt?

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

I wear mine inside the waistband and let the RSO know that he is perfectly welcome to place his cant where it is most comfortable and useable to HIM.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

WTR wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:00 am If the Forbus holster is meant to go inside your waist band then why is it designed with hooks to fit under your belt?
Those hooks go on the outside of the belt to keep the whole thing from coming out when you draw or remove a magazine under a high stress situation. Those hooks should be in the same place whether you put the paddle inside the pants or out.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”