Medical accessories

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Medical accessories

Post by twomillenium »

PriestTheRunner wrote:Yes, we have a good Samaritan law on the books, that covers quite a bit actually. The real problem is either a overly-aggressive prosecution attorney or the eventual civil suit. Some examples of twisted logic they could use to ruse a jury... :
1. If you rendered aid to a guy that you say was trying to kill you, were you really in fear for your life?...
Yes, I was until they went down in a manner that stopped the threat.
PriestTheRunner wrote:2. Did you just render aid to try and fix a mistake you made shooting him?....
It was HIS mistake to threaten my life with HIS actions, I did not make a mistake by defending myself.
PriestTheRunner wrote:3. Are you a medical professional? Your 'aid' caused an infection with that QuickClot gauze you inserted into his body, causing him pain. You owe him for that.
That "aid" saved his life. The pain was caused by HIS poor choice to attack me with actions that threatened my life.
PriestTheRunner wrote:4. If you were afraid for your life, and you rendered aid and he recovered, would you fear for your life and shoot him again?...
Only if HE tried to attack and threaten my life again.
PriestTheRunner wrote:5. If you didn't want him to die, why did you shoot him three times?...
Cuz, it took three times to stop the threat....... or...... I only had three bullets?
PriestTheRunner wrote:6. If you didn't want him to die, why did you shoot him in the head?...
In the extreme fear for my life that HE caused when HE attacked me, my accuracy was off. I was trying to hit center mass to stop the threat.

PriestTheRunner wrote:Hopyfully a wise jury would see through the bull, but things get nasty in the courtroom. No one is your friend in our system. And remember, the jury of your so-called "peers" has been hand selected by the attorneys. They can pick the most liberal, sweetheart, 'all lives matter and are important', imbecilic persons that show up, and you have to work with that jury of 6 (or twelve, depending on civil vs criminal). Though the odds may still be in your favor in a 'good shoot' scenario, are you willing to take those risks?

Personally, I will be calling the ambulance and police, hanging up, checking on my family and holding the threat at gunpoint until law enforcement arrive and control the scene. I would re-conceal when the first LEO car pulls up (just for a bit of added safety). But otherwise, my aid for the guy who was just a lethal threat ends when I hang up the phone calling the ambulance.
I completely agree :iagree:
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

The Annoyed Man wrote:“Hello 911, please send an ambulance and police to my location at the intersection of X and Y streets. Someone has been shot. I’ll be the old guy with the white beard.” Hang up, and don’t answer when they try to call you back. You’ve just rendered all the medical care necessary to cover your butt, and without placing yourself into unnecessary danger by getting too close to the man you just had to shoot BECAUSE HE WAS TRYING TO KILL YOU!!!!!

If he WASN’T trying to kill you, then why did you shoot him?

When I go to the range, I’ve always got an IFAK with me, which is fairly well supplied. Included is a SOFTT-W tourniquet, and the same Benchmade Lifehook that SRO1911 mentioned. When I travel by car on road trips, I bring a fully stocked medical bag that would allow my wife and I to render aid to multiple patients with traumatic injuries.

I confess that I don’t have my IFAK with me at all times. It’s a little too bulky to keep on my person. I can see the value of carrying a tourniquet and maybe the Lifehook at all times, and this thread is a reminder to start doing that. But carrying more than that on my person - every minute of the day that I am out and about - just isn’t a very convenient proposition for me. I understand that not having either my IFAK or Medical bag with me reduces my ability to self-aid or render aid to someone else, but that’s a risk I am willing to live with. But out on the open road where a multi-car pileup is a possibility, or at the range where there is a distinct possibility of someone getting shot, it’s not a risk I am willing to live with.

IFAK has, in addition to the above mentioned tourniquet and Lifehook,
  • a Russel chest seal,
  • an Oleas modular bandage,
  • a Quickclot combat gauze,
  • 2 Z-Pack dressings,
  • 3 Celox packets, a triangular bandage sling,
  • a pair of trauma scissors,
  • a pair of blue nytril gloves,
  • a dozen alcohol swabs,
  • and an Adsafe CPR pocket resuscitator mask.
The medical bag contains ALL of the above several times over, plus splints in limb and finger sizes, Kerlix gauze bandages, Ace bandages, sutures and forceps sets, scissors, bottles of electrolyte fluids (can be drunk or can be used as IV in an emergency), Zanfel allergy/bug bite treatment, bottled burn gel, gel burn dressings, multiple sizes of airways, extra tourniquets (ALL SOFTT-W), extra CPR resuscitator masks, extra Russell chest seals, extra gloves, alcohol swabs, etc., etc., etc. It all fills a backpack to nearly bursting.

I reckon that a tourniquet and Lifehook would be easy enough to EDC.
Add several pairs of nitrile gloves! I have worked more MVAs, shootings, stabbings, major trauma in my career, you can go thru gloves quickly, when you realize you need something else out of your kit, need to handle something and you need to remove your bloody gloves, this is when you realize you need another pair! When you take off the bloody gloves, carefully peel off one glove, palm it in the hand that still has the glove on, then pull that glove off and over the one you palmed, done carefully you can remove both gloves without exposer to body fluids!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Bitter Clinger »

I often carry this kit:
https://www.tacmedsolutions.com/TacMed- ... edical-Kit

And I find this simple diagram to be most helpful:

"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

PriestTheRunner
Posts in topic: 2

Post by PriestTheRunner »

Bitter Clinger wrote:I often carry this kit:
https://www.tacmedsolutions.com/TacMed- ... edical-Kit

And I find this simple diagram to be most helpful:

Printed and added (later tonight) to add my Trauma Bags! Thanks.

Simple enough to get a person started on the concepts (if its myself they need to help). Also a nice reminder during an adrenaline fueled rush to help somebody. Endorphins are a ... surprise when you're not used to them. :)

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

O.K. you had to defend your life by shooting a criminal attacker, then you rendered medical aid to the criminal attacker...then he dies.

Could this genuine attempt to help backfire?

As in his family claiming their loved one would have survived if YOU hadn't killed him with your clumsy medical aid or possibly deliberate attempt to finish him off.

Seems like it could.

I would CALL for medical help, but act like I know what I'm doing as a Paramedic or EMT?

That's a tough call...for me anyway.

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Abraham wrote:O.K. you had to defend your life by shooting a criminal attacker, then you rendered medical aid to the criminal attacker...then he dies.

Could this genuine attempt to help backfire?

As in his family claiming their loved one would have survived if YOU hadn't killed him with your clumsy medical aid or possibly deliberate attempt to finish him off.

Seems like it could.

I would CALL for medical help, but act like I know what I'm doing as a Paramedic or EMT?

That's a tough call...for me anyway.
Wouldn't this same legal argument also be true if you came upon a car crash and tried, but failed, to save the victim(s). Good Samaritan laws are specifically intended to protect the well meaning person in these cases, even if that well meaning person actually does more harm than good.

Obviously, the claim of trying to deliberately "finish him off" would only apply in a shooting situation, not a car crash. But then your attorney could point out that you still had bullets in your gun and could have easily "finished him off" much simpler if that was your intent. I'm assuming here that you didn't empty your gun and still have a live BG on your hands. That would be a bit unlikely unless you are using a .22 or you are a really bad shot.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

crazy2medic wrote:Add several pairs of nitrile gloves! I have worked more MVAs, shootings, stabbings, major trauma in my career, you can go thru gloves quickly, when you realize you need something else out of your kit, need to handle something and you need to remove your bloody gloves, this is when you realize you need another pair! When you take off the bloody gloves, carefully peel off one glove, palm it in the hand that still has the glove on, then pull that glove off and over the one you palmed, done carefully you can remove both gloves without exposer to body fluids!
I must have forgotten to mention it, but my big medical bag does have multiple pairs of gloves.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
crazy2medic wrote:Add several pairs of nitrile gloves! I have worked more MVAs, shootings, stabbings, major trauma in my career, you can go thru gloves quickly, when you realize you need something else out of your kit, need to handle something and you need to remove your bloody gloves, this is when you realize you need another pair! When you take off the bloody gloves, carefully peel off one glove, palm it in the hand that still has the glove on, then pull that glove off and over the one you palmed, done carefully you can remove both gloves without exposer to body fluids!
I must have forgotten to mention it, but my big medical bag does have multiple pairs of gloves.
:thumbs2:
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

I carry 2 ankle first aid kits (afak) made by Ryker Nylon. Each has 1 israeli bandage (4"), 1 CAT, 1 Quickclot Gauze, 2 HALO chest seals.

Car has a booboo kit from Walmart. Also have a trauma bag with 2 SOFTT-W tourniquets, 2 HALO chest seals, 6ish rolls krinkle gauze, 2 israeli bandage (6"), 2 olaes bandages, some butterfly sutures, 2 bottles of saline solution, 2 ace wraps, roll of paper tape, 2 quickclot gauze, nitrile gloves, leather gloves, leatherman, resqme tool, 2 flashlights, 4 packs lightsticks, cpr mask.
NRA Benefactor Member

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

It seems like the consensus is that you would be in a better position legally if you just let the BG bleed out instead of actively trying to save his life. I guess it might just come down to other non-legal considerations in that case (based on your personal ethics, and situational issues as to whether there is still a perceived threat, etc). This seems similar to the analysis of whether to get involved in the defense of others. Legally safer to do nothing in most cases, but a person's ethics may lead them to a different answer.

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”