Need a gun belt for my daughter

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 6

Need a gun belt for my daughter

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

OK, so I have finally convinced my soon to be 18 year old daughter to try out IDPA shooting. She is a decent shot, but has never carried a handgun and has never drawn from a holster. Before she shoots IDPA, I plan to take her to the range a few more times to work on things like double taps, and also want her to get in a lot of holster work so she is comfortable drawing and also reholstering a loaded gun.

The problem is that she has a very small waist. Very small. I had her try on my shortest belt, which is a 37, and I'm going to estimate that she needs something closer to a 27 or so. My belt almost wrapped around her twice. Since this could be the one and only time she uses it, I'm looking for an inexpensive option that is strong enough to support the weight of a loaded gun and 2 loaded mags. I also need something that comes in very small sizes, or which is fully adjustable.

Any suggestions?

Topic author
Soccerdad1995

Re: Need a gun belt for my daughter

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Caribe wrote:The 5.11 Athena belts come in small sizes. Wilderness tactical Frequent flyer belts also come in smaller sizes. I have one the Wilderness tactical frequent flyer belts and it does hold a load.
Thanks. There is a 5.11 retail location in Houston. I may take her by there on Saturday to see if we can find anything that fits her.

flechero
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flechero »

Maybe a wilderness instructor type belt? I'd for sure get the reinforced variety. affordable, adjustable.

If she wants leather, look at AG Custom Gunleather - they have a "quick ship" selection of solid but no frills, no tooling belts ready to go.

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 1

Post by SewTexas »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Caribe wrote:The 5.11 Athena belts come in small sizes. Wilderness tactical Frequent flyer belts also come in smaller sizes. I have one the Wilderness tactical frequent flyer belts and it does hold a load.
Thanks. There is a 5.11 retail location in Houston. I may take her by there on Saturday to see if we can find anything that fits her.

good luck, most of those stores don't carry but a very little bit of women's stuff and it's mostly sun wear at this time of year. I hope you can find something.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

There is another factor you may want to consider. Women's natural waists are higher on their torso, compared to men. If you have a normal holster on a belt at the natural waist with a 3 o'clock carry, she will be trying to draw from her armpit. Most of the serious female competitors I know of in USPSA and to a more limited extent in IDPA either 1) use pants with a lower rise, that puts the belt below the natural waist. Or, 2) relocate/add belt loops on regular womens pants positioned below the natural waist/loops.
In either case, it has the effect of giving them a normal 'ride' and draw stroke, and moving the belt lower on the body puts them into the realm of more 'normal' gun belt lengths, as well as giving them more "belt real estate" to hang holsters, mag holders, etc off of.....

Does this make things more complicated than just buying a belt? Yes, sorry. But I think it will alleviate additional issues in the long run.
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Talk to the folks at $30.00 gun belts.

That's actually their name.

A new member mentioned in a post and I looked at their site and a utube video.

$30.00 and $4.99 flat fee shipping rate.

Look em up, for essentially $35.00 for a really rugged gun belt, how can you go wrong?

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

http://store.volundgearworks.com/index. ... -belt.html

If you reach out to them via email, they will make whatever length you want/need.
DO NOT get the Slim version ... that is for IWB, not OWB.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topic author
Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Caribe wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Cabelas also carries 5.11 Athena belts if your in the Houston area. There is a 5.11 store in Webster and a Cabelas in League City.(around 10 minutes from each other)
I love Cabelas. The problem is that the nearest one is in the area you describe and I am in the far west Houston / Katy areas.

Topic author
Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

RoyGBiv wrote:http://store.volundgearworks.com/index. ... -belt.html

If you reach out to them via email, they will make whatever length you want/need.
DO NOT get the Slim version ... that is for IWB, not OWB.
Thanks. She's with me tonight, so I'll wrap one of my belts around her and get a measurement. Most places don't seem to make them small enough. I'll see how long it will take to get one made to the right length from these guys.

gtolbert09

Post by gtolbert09 »

Caribe wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Cabelas also carries 5.11 Athena belts if your in the Houston area. There is a 5.11 store in Webster and a Cabelas in League City.(around 10 minutes from each other)

The Academy Stores in the DFW area also sell 5.11 stuff , so maybe the Houston stores have it.

and Bass Pro sells it too.

Amazon also has 5.11 belts.
USAF 1983-1994
NRA LifeTime Member
TSRA Member

Topic author
Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

JustSomeOldGuy wrote:There is another factor you may want to consider. Women's natural waists are higher on their torso, compared to men. If you have a normal holster on a belt at the natural waist with a 3 o'clock carry, she will be trying to draw from her armpit. Most of the serious female competitors I know of in USPSA and to a more limited extent in IDPA either 1) use pants with a lower rise, that puts the belt below the natural waist. Or, 2) relocate/add belt loops on regular womens pants positioned below the natural waist/loops.
In either case, it has the effect of giving them a normal 'ride' and draw stroke, and moving the belt lower on the body puts them into the realm of more 'normal' gun belt lengths, as well as giving them more "belt real estate" to hang holsters, mag holders, etc off of.....

Does this make things more complicated than just buying a belt? Yes, sorry. But I think it will alleviate additional issues in the long run.
Thanks. Good info. My challenge is that there is a distinct and real possibility that she may only want to do this one time, even if she likes it (but doesn't "love" it). So I don't want to get too complex if I can avoid it. Just want to get her something that will get her through this first time. If she wants to continue with it, then I would definitely be open to other, more expensive and complex, options.

flechero
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flechero »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: My challenge is that there is a distinct and real possibility that she may only want to do this one time, even if she likes it (but doesn't "love" it). So I don't want to get too complex if I can avoid it. Just want to get her something that will get her through this first time. If she wants to continue with it, then I would definitely be open to other, more expensive and complex, options.
I hear you... it's a catch 22. You don't want to spend a lot for a one time deal but skimping on gear/comfort pushes her towards a one time deal.

Post up what you need after you figure it out and see if one of us (or wives/daughters) has gear you could borrow.

Topic author
Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

flechero wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote: My challenge is that there is a distinct and real possibility that she may only want to do this one time, even if she likes it (but doesn't "love" it). So I don't want to get too complex if I can avoid it. Just want to get her something that will get her through this first time. If she wants to continue with it, then I would definitely be open to other, more expensive and complex, options.
I hear you... it's a catch 22. You don't want to spend a lot for a one time deal but skimping on gear/comfort pushes her towards a one time deal.

Post up what you need after you figure it out and see if one of us (or wives/daughters) has gear you could borrow.
Thanks. Will do.

And I was thinking the exact same thing on the catch 22.

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”