Glass front gun cabinet

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Richbirdhunter
Posts in topic: 1

Glass front gun cabinet

Post by Richbirdhunter »

A neighbor is trying to give me a locking gun cabinet with a glass front. I’ve always stayed away from them because how easily they can be broken into. What do you think?
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

Abraham

Re: Glass front gun cabinet

Post by Abraham »

How about a beautiful front door for your house that can never be locked?

I'll take security over beauty any day.

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

I suspect that since you posted here you are interested in it. If your intent is to show your long guns then you can easily purchase a cable lock system that runs through all of the trigger guards. Probably more secure than the "Stack On" thin metal cabinets that a whole lot of people use for securing their guns.

strogg

Post by strogg »

Abraham wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:52 am How about a beautiful front door for your house that can never be locked?

I'll take security over beauty any day.
That's why my front door doesn't have any glass on it.

@op: Ask yourself this: can a group of bad guys break into your home, grab the contents of the display case, and run off with them before the police show up? If yes, it's not a secure place. If no, then by all means get the cabinet. I'd get one too if that were the case.

spectre
Banned

Post by spectre »

If it's free, and you have small children or grandchildren, take it. I wouldn't use it for guns, but there are other things you may want to display while having some protection from accidental breakage.
I'm in a good place right now
Not emotionally or financially
But I am at the gun store

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I have one that belonged to my Dad. I do. It use it for “safety@ because as you stated it can be broke in to. Mine is antique and I have it in my office. Looks good, but holding guns is useless.

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

It is a gun cabinet not a gun safe. I have a relative that has a gun cabinet that he inherited and it is really nice, he did spend some major bucks on securing the rifles and shotguns (also inherited) and does not depend on them for home defense. Like he says and knows, it is to show off a few older guns while securing them in a way that they are not quickly accessed.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Basically any dingle whopper can get into anyone’s safe with an angle grinder but a glass front gun case makes it a whole lot faster and can be done with one of those round “keys” that fit any window in the driveway. While it’s wouldnt be my first choice for gun security, if I was on a budget and that was free you bet I’d use it. Anything is better than nothing.

flechero

Post by flechero »

There used to be a company making glass display cabinets with "anti-bandit glass" that would withstand a sledge hammer. and were as secure as what we call a gunsafe. Maybe you can replace the glass. ?

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

My dad built one with 1" bullet resistant glass several years before he got sick. Made it out of solid oak as well. Now it's still not as solid as a good safe but would take some doing to get into and weighs about 250 pounds. If I had a place for it I would bring it to my house
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”