Fierce Defender IWB Sidecar Holster

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
TheSoundGrip
Posts in topic: 2

Fierce Defender IWB Sidecar Holster

Post by TheSoundGrip »

Anyone here using the Fierce Defender IWB Sidecar Holster? I found it on Amazon and was curious if it is worth the $60 price point as an alternative to the $100 T-Rex or if I should just save the extra money and buy a T-Rex.

Here's the link to the one I am curious about:

Jusme
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Fierce Defender IWB Sidecar Holster

Post by Jusme »

I have no info on the Defender holster, but I'm not a fan of having my extra mag(s) in the same location as my gun. Unless you can access the mag, with your off hand, you will have to switch your gun there to reload. Is it real time consuming? Maybe not, but it will take a lot of practice to master. For about the same money, you can get a crossbreed, and a mag holder that can go on the opposite side. This is just my opinion, and worth every penny you paid for it. YMMV.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Jusme wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:04 am I have no info on the Defender holster, but I'm not a fan of having my extra mag(s) in the same location as my gun. Unless you can access the mag, with your off hand, you will have to switch your gun there to reload. Is it real time consuming? Maybe not, but it will take a lot of practice to master. For about the same money, you can get a crossbreed, and a mag holder that can go on the opposite side. This is just my opinion, and worth every penny you paid for it. YMMV.
:iagree:

This. I carry my S&W M&P M2.0 9mm 5inch in a Safariland 7TS ALS openly. Even when I was carrying my Tanfoglio BTA90 IWB, concealed prior to 1/1/16, I have always carried my spare magazines openly, on my support side, in a nylon pouch with flaps. Looks like a multi-tool pouch. I train all my family members to carry their spare magazines the same way; OWB on the support side.

I carry the spare magazines in the same position for training and competition as I do for EDC. The only difference is I us open-top pouches in training and competion. I have used the flap covered pouchesin training and competiton to valid my techniques. Works well for me. I strive to train and practice using the same gear and techniques I use in EDC. At the range, for an all day class with additional spare magazines, I may add suspenders. Otherwise, I wear clothes I would wear in the office.

If you are planning to carry in the appendix position, a combination holster and mag pouch seems to me to be a good idea.

As with most things in life, it comes down to the risks we are willing to manage and which benefits matter most to us.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Topic author
TheSoundGrip

Post by TheSoundGrip »

I appreciate the responses! Was really just looking at this holster since its not super expensive and I've never carried appendix and just wanted to see if I liked it. If not, it's Amazon and I can send it back pretty easy.

In terms of how I currently carry my spare mag, I just toss it in my opposite pocket for the time being, planning to pick up a NeoMag to carry it in my pocket a little easier.

E150GT

Post by E150GT »

I have a Trex sidecar for my Glock. I did the gel heel mod on it and I like it a lot

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

oljames3 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:29 am
Jusme wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:04 am I have no info on the Defender holster, but I'm not a fan of having my extra mag(s) in the same location as my gun. Unless you can access the mag, with your off hand, you will have to switch your gun there to reload. Is it real time consuming? Maybe not, but it will take a lot of practice to master. For about the same money, you can get a crossbreed, and a mag holder that can go on the opposite side. This is just my opinion, and worth every penny you paid for it. YMMV.

This. I carry my S&W M&P M2.0 9mm 5inch in a Safariland 7TS ALS openly. Even when I was carrying my Tanfoglio BTA90 IWB, concealed prior to 1/1/16, I have always carried my spare magazines openly, on my support side, in a nylon pouch with flaps. Looks like a multi-tool pouch. I train all my family members to carry their spare magazines the same way; OWB on the support side.

I carry the spare magazines in the same position for training and competition as I do for EDC. The only difference is I us open-top pouches in training and competion. I have used the flap covered pouchesin training and competiton to valid my techniques. Works well for me. I strive to train and practice using the same gear and techniques I use in EDC. At the range, for an all day class with additional spare magazines, I may add suspenders. Otherwise, I wear clothes I would wear in the office.

If you are planning to carry in the appendix position, a combination holster and mag pouch seems to me to be a good idea.

As with most things in life, it comes down to the risks we are willing to manage and which benefits matter most to us.
Guys, these types of holsters are meant to be worn as AIWB, meaning they're at the 12 o'clock position. Gun ends up around 12:30 while the mag is at about 11:30. Thus it's your off-hand that grabs the mag.

Unless otherwise stated by the OP I would assume that's what he's asking about. That said, if someone was thinking about carrying one at say 3 o'clock then I would echo your statements above.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

SigM4 wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:36 am
oljames3 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:29 am

Guys, these types of holsters are meant to be worn as AIWB, meaning they're at the 12 o'clock position. Gun ends up around 12:30 while the mag is at about 11:30. Thus it's your off-hand that grabs the mag.

Unless otherwise stated by the OP I would assume that's what he's asking about. That said, if someone was thinking about carrying one at say 3 o'clock then I would echo your statements above.
Carrying AIWB with a magazine pouch attached to the holster makes sense. However, the OP specified IWB, thus the comments concerning IWB with the holster and magazine pouch connected.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

John Galt

Post by John Galt »

I have several Fierce Defender holsters and they are my holster of choice. I haven't carried in a sidecar holster.

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”