Recommendations for a good retention holster for Ruger SR9c

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
BigGuy
Posts in topic: 1

Recommendations for a good retention holster for Ruger SR9c

Post by BigGuy »

Recommendations for a good retention holster for Ruger SR9c. The one I have now is a pice of crap. A flimsy strap will unbutton by simply pulling the gun from the holster. I've been online, but haven't found one that specifically mentions my gun. If I'm going to spend upwards of $200, I'd like to at least know it will reliably work with my gun.
Also, can somebody school me on different types of retention. My ignorance is legion. Do I understand that some holsters don't use a strap, but have some mechanism that holds the gun until it is pushed in a specific direction before it can be drawn.
Again, I will spend $$$ on a holster that does the job. I just have no faith in my ability to determine whether or not a particular holster is worth what I'm paying for it.

SigM4

Re: Recommendations for a good retention holster for Ruger SR9c

Post by SigM4 »

Are you looking for leather or kydex/plastic? Also, inside the waistband (IWB) or outside the waistband (OWB)?

As far as retention goes my first stop when looking for a retention holster is almost always Safariland. Looks like they have two iterations of the GLS (Grip Lock System) holster for the SR9c. Here is the high-ride version. They also have the 579 model with a more traditional drop. The retention mechanism is de-activated by your middle finger when you go to get a nature grip on the gun. It's not the newer ALS design, but it works well in my experience. You can play around on their site and use their "Holster Finder" tool to see other options for your particular gun(s).

Hope that helps.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

As SIGM4 said, the Safariland 7TS ALS is the gold standard for retention holsters. I carry my S&W M&P9 M2.0 5" in a Safariland 7TS ALS with Guard (Safariland retention level ii).

And, as SIGM4 said, Safariland does not offer the ALS for the Ruger. The GLS does a decent job. However, it is designed to fit multiple pistols and will require adjustment to fit your Ruger.

https://progunfighter.com/safariland-gl ... to%20draw.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

wally775

Post by wally775 »

Don't know what level you are looking for in a holster
but I have one of these for a shield and a sr9c.
They work well for me. your results may very.
https://urbancarryholsters.com/lockleather
Good luck. :tiphat:

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”