05-October: MEDICAL Training/TFR Trauma First Response

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Re: 05-October: MEDICAL Training/TFR Trauma First Response

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I just asked my wife if she'd be interested in taking the course. We'll see. That happens to be my birthday.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 23

Post by RoyGBiv »

Good question Chief.

When I registered, I printed the registration confirmation for my records.
When I paid, I received a receipt via email as well.
I plan to bring these to class, just-in-case.

Other than that, you should be good to go... About the only possible problems I can see are..
1. We fail to hit the 8 minimum.
2. Something unforeseeable ... Instructor gets sick... etc.

Probably a god idea to check in here occasionally for updates.
As soon as we have 8 paid, I'll let everyone know we can cross that potential problem off the list.

Thanks.!
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

'Nuther question....

Posted 30.06 or not?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

The Annoyed Man wrote:'Nuther question....

Posted 30.06 or not?
I don't get to downtown FTW very often, so I've not had a chance to swing by and check.
They are not listed on Texas3006.com, but that's not a guarantee, and I've been hesitant to ask them directly, for fear of giving them the idea.

Does anyone reading this work/live near this location? Can I talk you into doing us a favor and checking it out?
If there's no confirmation in the next week or so, I'll take a ride down and check it out myself.

MedStar
551 E. Berry St.
Fort Worth, Texas 76110

Topic author
RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Quick update.

As of this morning we have 10 registered and 8 paid, so, the class is a GO.!
I've asked them to let me know if we get close to maxing out, but it appears not to be a concern at this point.
(We had nearly 30 people raise their hand [here plus pistol-forum.com], we'll see if we get a last minute rush as we get closer to class day)

I'll make a trip down to the class location in the next week or so and report back whether the location is 30.06 posted.
I thought it best not to ask. It's easy enough to go say hello and find out.

Instructor is recommending bringing a notepad and a sweater, and noted that we'll be working skills on the floor so dress comfortably.
Given that we're still running in the upper 90's, I took that to mean they like to keep the AC turned down pretty low.

We'll have an hour break for lunch. They have a toaster oven and microwave at MedStar, or there are restaurants nearby, mostly fast food and Mexican. I'm planning to check out a local Carib place just down the street (walking distance, looks like).

As mentioned before, I also plan to bring a printout of my registration and payment confirmation, just in case of a clerical error.

Cheers.

Topic author
RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Just an FYI.

I rode over to the training location today and as far as I could see it is NOT posted 30.06.
The doors were heavily tinted so I could not see if anything was posted in the entryway, but I didn't see anything on the outer doors.

551 E. Berry St.
Fort Worth, Texas 76110

35W. Exit Berry Street (heading West)
Right (North) at first intersection after the highway (S Grove St)
MedStar is the first building on the Left.
Looks to be plenty of parking.

tiviti
Posts in topic: 5

Post by tiviti »

I'm assuming everything is still on schedule for this Saturday?

74novaman
Posts in topic: 4

Post by 74novaman »

Looking forward to seeing everyone on Saturday. :cool:
TANSTAAFL

Topic author
RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

tiviti wrote:I'm assuming everything is still on schedule for this Saturday?
Yes...

10 students confirmed, so, still room for some last minute registrations.

Start time is 09:00.
Last edited by RoyGBiv on Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
RoyGBiv

Re: Gauging Interest: MEDICAL Training/TFR Trauma First Resp

Post by RoyGBiv »

n5wd wrote:Is Macara going to be the instructor? If so, I might drop in and refresh my skills, too!
Macara sent me a note last night that Brian White will instruct the class.
She didn't say why the change.

Just FYI..

tiviti

Post by tiviti »

superchief wrote:I thought the class went really well. got some good info. I think i was expecting it to be more gunshot wound oriented, but "trauma" in general is a real good thing to learn about. thanks for putting this together!
In my experience, introductory classes like this tend to favor more broad, general knowledge. The greatest benefit is in the discussion - the ability to ask questions and to listen to other people's questions as well as the side stories and experiences from the instructor. Once you have gone through a course like this once, you will have the basic knowledge to build off of. Further training reinforces and refreshes that knowledge.

Most of the material covered is things I've heard before, but some of it was new. Even for the general info, it is always good to hear another perspective as well as to see the overall organization and flow of the material. I did learn from it, and I don't regret going which is good since it seems it will be an expensive lesson. :lol:

74novaman
Posts in topic: 4

Post by 74novaman »

First off, thanks to RoyGBiv for his hard work in putting the class together, and to MedStar and our instructor for a good class.

My medical knowledge is limited. I have a first aid/CPS course under my belt, but nothing beyond that. With that background, this class was incredibly useful to me.

I now feel very confident in my ability to properly assess and work a trauma situation and at a minimum limit the damage until the real professionals get there to do their thing. I also have a good idea of what my "shooter's med kit" should look like, and will be putting one together soon based on what we learned in this class.

For 1 day and $50, I couldn't have asked for a better course. It wasn't incredibly in depth, but that wasn't the intent. If you're an EMT or a Doc....this class isn't for you. If you're the average CHL holder who would like to be a little more prepared for anything life can throw your way (an accidental shooting at the range, a car wreck, a coworker's heart attack), this is the best ~8 hours and $50 you can spend to get prepared for medical traumas.

If they hold another course, I'd highly recommend anyone who was on the fence about taking this find the time to do so. It could very well save a life.

Also, lunch was fantastic. The folks who weren't adventurous enough to wander over to the Caribbean place with us missed out on a great meal. :mrgreen:
Last edited by 74novaman on Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TANSTAAFL

tiviti

Post by tiviti »

74novaman wrote:Also, lunch was fantastic. The folks who weren't adventurous enough to wander over to the Caribbean place with us missed out on a great meal. :mrgreen:
Haha, I'm jealous. I ended up skipping lunch, but I'll have to remember to pass by that place again the next time I am in Dallas.

Kadelic
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Kadelic »

74novaman wrote:First off, thanks to RoyGBiv for his hard work in putting the class together, and to MedStar and our instructor for a good class.

My medical knowledge is limited. I have a first aid/CPS course under my belt, but nothing beyond that. With that background, this class was incredibly useful to me.

I now feel very confident in my ability to properly assess and work a trauma situation and at a minimum limit the damage until the real professionals get there to do their thing. I also have a good idea of what my "shooter's med kit" should look like, and will be putting one together soon based on what we learned in this class.

For 1 day and $50, I couldn't have asked for a better course. It wasn't incredibly in depth, but that wasn't the intent. If you're an EMT or a Doc....this class isn't for you. If you're the average CHL holder who would like to be a little more prepared for anything life can throw your way (an accidental shooting at the range, a car wreck, a coworker's heart attack), this is the best ~8 hours and $50 you can spend to get prepared for medical traumas.

If they hold another course, I'd highly recommend anyone who was on the fence about taking this find the time to do so. It could very well save a life.

Also, lunch was fantastic. The folks who weren't adventurous enough to wander over to the Caribbean place with us missed out on a great meal. :mrgreen:
:iagree:

I found the class very much worthwhile, hats off to RoyGBiv for getting this done! :tiphat: Except for a one hour CPR unit in high school PE (back in the 80's) my previous education and experience was nil. The instructor was great at explaining things in layman's terms and giving real world examples of handling trauma cases. If I ever come across a trauma situation I feel I'll be able to assess and prioritize the steps to take to help stabilize a victim until EMT's or Paramedics arrive. I was expecting a bit more hands on training on the floor, per the course description: "INTERACTIVE SKILL STATIONS ( 4 rotating 30 minute stations )." All in all though I was very satisfied with the class, especially for the price. I also highly recommend the class. If anything it teaches you how to think like an effective first responder and gives you a sort of mental checklist to go through.

I have been researching FAK's in general, and trauma kits in particular, for several months. I'm glad I was able to get specific questions answered about specific items, as well as hearing the Q&A from other class members. I'll be able to put together a better all around FAK that I can keep in my car as well as a smaller trauma kit I can keep handy anywhere from a range trip, a bike ride, or wherever.

That Caribbean restaurant was great and the curried goat was amazing. Those plantain strips were pretty darn good too. :thumbs2:
Honor Necessity

Return to “Past Classes”