HB 910 Conference Committee

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

chamberc
Posts in topic: 6

Re: HB 910 Conference Committee

Post by chamberc »

Scott Farkus wrote:Agreed, but is it more risky to think it can get through the Senate again at this late date, with Ellis chomping at the bit to bolster his NRA F rating?

I seriously don't know. I guess that depends on how quickly the conference committee gets done.

I can hear it now, Ellis, West, and Dutton bragging about how they took on the mighty NRA in Texas and WON!

Makes me want to puke just thinking about it.
There will be no rush on the committee.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
LTC since 2000
http://www.texas3006.com

safety1
Posts in topic: 45

Post by safety1 »

harrycallahan wrote:
Scott Farkus wrote:
PBR wrote:I'm probably wrong but my best feeling to get it passed is that the conference committee cannot come to an agreement thus giving the House a second vote on it and hopefully it passes then. Cause if Senate gets to vote on it again I'm sure Ellis, West and others will do whatever they can to bust it out.
That's how I'm seeing it also. Unless this gets to the Senate in the next 24 hours or so, I can't see how we avoid an Ellis filibuster. But I don't know all the rules that apply to that.

Also, what exactly is the conference committee going to "iron out"? There are basically 3 or 4 words with of difference that don't change a thing. If we're working under the assumption that the House will pass it without the Huffines amendment, you can't avoid sending it back to the Senate. If we're working under the assumption that the House will pass it as is if given a second chance, then what is different in two days that their minds?
What they can do is posted above. Essentially it is to iron out the amendment number 9 by modifying it or removing it entirely. To think the house will change their collective mind and vote yes if the same bill is sent back might be a bit risky.
I agree this must be done within the next 24 hours or its a long shot. I hope they meet today. The fix to get the votes should be easy. The house would pass
it with the Huffines amend issue resolved.....in or out.
We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions. ~ Ronald Reagan ~
NRA - Life Member

safety1

Post by safety1 »

chamberc wrote:
Scott Farkus wrote:Agreed, but is it more risky to think it can get through the Senate again at this late date, with Ellis chomping at the bit to bolster his NRA F rating?

I seriously don't know. I guess that depends on how quickly the conference committee gets done.

I can hear it now, Ellis, West, and Dutton bragging about how they took on the mighty NRA in Texas and WON!

Makes me want to puke just thinking about it.
There will be no rush on the committee.
What brings you to that conclusion?
We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions. ~ Ronald Reagan ~
NRA - Life Member

harrycallahan
Banned
Posts in topic: 9

Post by harrycallahan »

I hold out hope that HB 910 makes passage. If not, then the entire session has been a loss. I pray that for this reason alone Gov. Abbott will call a special session to address, among other things not done, Open Carry, Campus Carry and HB 308!
I like to keep this handy... for close encounters.

TxCHL 5/12

ELB
Posts in topic: 4

Post by ELB »

PBR wrote:I'm probably wrong but my best feeling to get it passed is that the conference committee cannot come to an agreement thus giving the House a second vote on it and hopefully it passes then. Cause if Senate gets to vote on it again I'm sure Ellis, West and others will do whatever they can to bust it out.
Your plan kills the bill. See HarryCallahan's post above.

If the conference committee cannot come to agreement, it does not go anywhere, it is dead.

If the conference committee comes to agreement and sends the conference bill to the chambers, it is an up or down vote, no amendments so that stalling tactic is out. If both chambers vote for it, it goes to the Governor.

If one or the other chamber does not concur on the bill, they can send it back to the conference committee. If the conference committee cannot agree on how to change it (again), then the bill is dead. Also, the time element at this point will certainly kill it.

The only real hope is that the conference committee acts quickly, and the Speaker of the House and the President of the Senate squelch time-stallers in their respective chambers when the concurrence vote comes up, and the Governor signs the result.
USAF 1982-2005

CJD
Posts in topic: 4

Post by CJD »

ELB wrote:

If the conference committee cannot come to agreement, it does not go anywhere, it is dead.

If the conference committee comes to agreement and sends the conference bill to the chambers, it is an up or down vote, no amendments so that stalling tactic is out. If both chambers vote for it, it goes to the Governor.

If one or the other chamber does not concur on the bill, they can send it back to the conference committee. If the conference committee cannot agree on how to change it (again), then the bill is dead. Also, the time element at this point will certainly kill it.

The only real hope is that the conference committee acts quickly, and the Speaker of the House and the President of the Senate squelch time-stallers in their respective chambers when the concurrence vote comes up, and the Governor signs the result.
The House made a point to ask that, if the conference committee was unable to come to an agreement, they can cancel the committee and instead hold another concurrence vote. The answer was yes. This seemed like their back up plan. We'll have to see if that's true, however.

PBR
Posts in topic: 11

Post by PBR »

ELB wrote:
ok guess I read it wrong or it was posted wrong but someone posted from one of the politicians tweet or facebook post that if an agreement could not be reached it could go back to the house for 2nd concur vote. will have to try and find that post now to see
Houston, Tx.
DPS Received - Jan. 26th
Received Pin# - Feb. 25th
IN HAND!!!!!! June 9th

ScooterSissy
Posts in topic: 16

Post by ScooterSissy »

harrycallahan wrote:
Beiruty wrote:In Any case, all this circus tactics are uncalled for. The house should have voted yes and done with it. It is ridiculous to vote no for A couple words difference in text. This means that the House Amendment was a poison pill by the Republican House. After all, we are not that stupid.

Disgusting!
...Fast forward to Waco. Some of those guys were CHL holders...
Where did you get the information that some of those guys where CHL holders? This is the first time I've heard that from any source.

PBR

Post by PBR »

ELB wrote: Your plan kills the bill. See HarryCallahan's post above.
here is the quote from the post
v7a wrote:Texas Open Carry Bill Stalls Again Due to Political Pressure
Chairman Phillips told Breitbart Texas that Wednesday’s vote was not a vote against the open carry bill, but simply that members want to take the time to explore other options on resolving the concerns of law enforcement.

“We are going to work hard to get this bill passed,” Phillips said in a phone interview. “There is still a strong commitment from those who voted yes in April.”

Phillips said that if the Senate does not appoint their conference members or if the conference cannot reach a timely resolution that would allow the Senate and the House to approve the conference report, the House can discharge the conference committee and bring the bill back for another concurrence vote.

“I feel certain we have to votes to pass it when it comes back,” Phillips stated.
Houston, Tx.
DPS Received - Jan. 26th
IN HAND!!!!!! June 9th

ScooterSissy
Posts in topic: 16

Post by ScooterSissy »

PBR wrote:
ELB wrote:
ok guess I read it wrong or it was posted wrong but someone posted from one of the politicians tweet or facebook post that if an agreement could not be reached it could go back to the house for 2nd concur vote. will have to try and find that post now to see
That was stated on the House floor during debate about the amendment vote for (or against) concurrence.

PBR

Post by PBR »

ScooterSissy wrote:
harrycallahan wrote:
Beiruty wrote:In Any case, all this circus tactics are uncalled for. The house should have voted yes and done with it. It is ridiculous to vote no for A couple words difference in text. This means that the House Amendment was a poison pill by the Republican House. After all, we are not that stupid.

Disgusting!
Where did you get the information that some of those guys where CHL holders? This is the first time I've heard that from any source.
same here, while they might of had one I havent seen or heard of any that did or at least saying they did
Houston, Tx.
DPS Received - Jan. 26th
IN HAND!!!!!! June 9th

safety1

Post by safety1 »

PBR wrote:
ScooterSissy wrote:
harrycallahan wrote:

Disgusting!
same here, while they might of had one I havent seen or heard of any that did or at least saying they did
If they did what does it matter???
NRA - Life Member

Ivan244
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Ivan244 »

harrycallahan wrote:I hold out hope that HB 910 makes passage. If not, then the entire session has been a loss. I pray that for this reason alone Gov. Abbott will call a special session to address, among other things not done, Open Carry, Campus Carry and HB 308!
I agree, of all the bills HB 308 is the one that most forwarded our civil rights. Would love to see Gov Abbott put that forth in special session! The others too of course but especially 308.

harrycallahan
Banned
Posts in topic: 9

Post by harrycallahan »

ScooterSissy wrote:
harrycallahan wrote:

Disgusting!
From the news. It has been reported that up to 75 % of the arrests did not have any prior criminal history. Additionally I have also seen a video interview where in it a member of one of the biker clubs (gangs) claims that he recommends that any and all of his members who are eligible apply for and get a CHL. I say claimed, because that is protect information and it won't be released. Whether it is true or not, it is the card law enforcement played to strike down HB 910. You've got to see that! In the house debate they did everything but spell it our for you by using key word after key word. Safety, tool box, hand cuff, protect ect...
I like to keep this handy... for close encounters.

TxCHL 5/12

PBR

Post by PBR »

wow - just went to look at oct facebook and they deleted a post I made and banned me from further posting -- don't remember the post word for word but was along the lines of blaming Huffines and Grisham being at fault for the bill probably being killed and that the amendment was a stupid amendment that was already covered in constitutional law. also said they need to write everyone an apology letter saying they are sorry for letting everyone down if it doesnt get hashed out in committee or passed -- had many jump all on me over there for blaming Huffines and Grisham, I wanted to reply more to them but cant now.

edited: they already talking about doing more in your face tatics and marches with rifles. i replied to them go ahead all your gonna do is make them take that right away with the crazy in your face stuff, that was like pouring gas on a fire they flamed up so quick saying thats the only reason it got this far
Houston, Tx.
DPS Received - Jan. 26th
IN HAND!!!!!! June 9th

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”