SB11 & HB910 This week....

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 9

Re: SB11 & HB910 This week....

Post by The Annoyed Man »

ScooterSissy wrote:
jmra wrote: If you support the passage of OC then the amendment becomes a problem for YOU because as we have learned it will not pass with the amendment.
I think that we forget that it took many sessions to get where we are with CHL and it may take many sessions to get where we want to be. But one thing has held true throughout, the all or nothing approach has never worked in our favor.
In my opinion, if we have a majority of Republicans in both sides of the Texas legislature, and they won't pass a bill that contains an amendment articulating and codifying a known 4th amendment issue; then we have some of the wrong R's in office.
And maybe that is the case....... but, that is the legislature we have to work with. And with all due respect, you're still willing to sacrifice HB 910 because it's not ideologically pure enough, and then gamble that next session, after the bad taste left in legislators mouths from this session, that you can get an ideologically pure bill passed then? That's just not a realistic appraisal.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

oljames3
Posts in topic: 2

Post by oljames3 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
ScooterSissy wrote:
jmra wrote: If you support the passage of OC then the amendment becomes a problem for YOU because as we have learned it will not pass with the amendment.
I think that we forget that it took many sessions to get where we are with CHL and it may take many sessions to get where we want to be. But one thing has held true throughout, the all or nothing approach has never worked in our favor.
In my opinion, if we have a majority of Republicans in both sides of the Texas legislature, and they won't pass a bill that contains an amendment articulating and codifying a known 4th amendment issue; then we have some of the wrong R's in office.
And maybe that is the case....... but, that is the legislature we have to work with. And with all due respect, you're still willing to sacrifice HB 910 because it's not ideologically pure enough, and then gamble that next session, after the bad taste left in legislators mouths from this session, that you can get an ideologically pure bill passed then? That's just not a realistic appraisal.
:iagree:

Thirty-four years in Field Artillery gives me a firm understanding of the concept of "close enough". 910 without Dutton/Huffines is close enough. At this point, all else is a bridge too far.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

arthurcw
Posts in topic: 13

Post by arthurcw »

oljames3 wrote:
Thirty-four years in Field Artillery gives me a firm understanding of the concept of "close enough". 910 without Dutton/Huffines is close enough. At this point, all else is a bridge too far.

You win quote of the night.

Topic author
safety1
Posts in topic: 114

Post by safety1 »

arthurcw wrote:
oljames3 wrote:

You win quote of the night.
:iagree: :patriot:
We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions. ~ Ronald Reagan ~
NRA - Life Member

frreed
Posts in topic: 1

Post by frreed »

Marine Corps Artillery- One Shot One Village (Oorah!)

casp625
Posts in topic: 11

Post by casp625 »

ELIGIBLE AT 7:40 PM MAY 29, 2015:
HB 910 Phillips / Flynn / White, James / Riddle / Guillen / et al.
Relating to the authority of a person who is licensed to carry a handgun to openly carry a holstered handgun; creating criminal offenses.

NotRPB
Posts in topic: 48

Post by NotRPB »

casp625 wrote:
ELIGIBLE AT 7:40 PM MAY 29, 2015:
HB 910 Phillips / Flynn / White, James / Riddle / Guillen / et al.
Relating to the authority of a person who is licensed to carry a handgun to openly carry a holstered handgun; creating criminal offenses.
and below that
The Senate requests the appointment of a conference committee on:
SB 11 Birdwell / et al.

SP: Fletcher

Relating to the carrying of handguns on the campuses of and certain other locations associated with institutions of higher education; providing a criminal penalty.
(Senate Conferees: Birdwell, Ch./Burton/Hinojosa/Huffman/Schwertner)

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/ ... 150529.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

oohrah
Posts in topic: 4

Post by oohrah »

Birdwell (the author) is not willing to give on private university opt out. If he does not prevail, it most likely dies.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

harrycallahan
Banned

Post by harrycallahan »

oohrah wrote:Birdwell (the author) is not willing to give on private university opt out. If he does not prevail, it most likely dies.
I am confused by your statement. Birdwell wants to keep or toss the amendment?
I like to keep this handy... for close encounters.

TxCHL 5/12

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

oljames3 and frreed

For "close enough" I will go with my community. Can you say "ARC LIGHT?" A 3 ship of B-52Ds with 108 Mk 82s each. Now that only has to be "close enough."

Now if we can just get this bill through both houses tonight, that will be more han close enough for me. have sent e-mails of encouragement on this to my Rep, Senator, the Speaker and the Lt Gov.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

oohrah
Posts in topic: 4

Post by oohrah »

Birdwell supports "private property" rights. He opposes the amendment that would prohibit private univ from opting out. Baylor is in his district.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

harrycallahan
Banned

Post by harrycallahan »

Is there opposition to removing that amendment?
I like to keep this handy... for close encounters.

TxCHL 5/12

NotRPB
Posts in topic: 48

Post by NotRPB »

I think an argument is something like:

Government gives Taxpayer dollar grants for research and stuff, to "Private" schools

Students are given taxpayer funded grants, to give to "private" schools

At what point, how many public tax dollars must be given before the public paying gets a say in what goes on there?

These are not Mom & Pop "private" grocery stores that aren't getting public taxpayer money ... we are talking about millions & millions & millions of public tax dollars pouring into those "private" colleges.
================
Last edited by NotRPB on Fri May 29, 2015 8:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

camjr

Post by camjr »

I'm with Annoyed Man. 95% is better than nothing. The vast majority of CHL holders won't be practicing OC in metropolitan areas where the ammendment opposition comes from, but I anticipate seeing a lot of OC on opening day of dove season on 9/1/16 out in the rural area restaurants between morning and afternoon hunts! Get the law on the books, and fix it down the road.

Now, just get the darn thing to the Governor!

Cheers!

LSUTiger
Posts in topic: 14

Post by LSUTiger »

I'm with the "take what we can get" crowd.
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”