General 2015 Legislative Session Discussion

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

DevilDawg
Posts in topic: 1

Re: General 2015 Legislative Session Discussion

Post by DevilDawg »

Did SB 158 breeze by and no one fought it? LEO gets body cameras and training with no public accountability? I am hoping I read this wrong.

TXBO
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TXBO »

CJD wrote:
cyphertext wrote:
harrycallahan wrote:
cyphertext wrote:
philip964 wrote: This really will be historic. At a time when our freedoms are being constricted every where you turn, Texas is going the other direction and showing the whole nation a new direction. :txflag:
How is this a new direction when 40 some odd other states already allow some fashion of open carry with a handgun?
Because my friend, what we almost had and should have had, would have been the diamond standard of Open Carry. Texas already has that in the Concealed Handgun program. Yes, we all want a bit more, some may come across the wrong way, but in the end I know of no better group of people than those of the Texas CHL program. The many that came before us all, put together a model program. Add to that, had OC passed with as few conditions as it had, well, there wouldn't be another state that could have touched it. Yes it would have been licensed open carry, but before you say anything about that, go take a look at those so called constitutional states and read their laws and after that read HB 910 and make your own conclusions.

You have 14 states that have licensed OC... Ours is very similar to our neighbors to the north... there is nothing new here. I also lived in a constitutional open carry state. There are a few restrictions, but it is also unlicensed, so a bit of a trade off... Their concealed carry license however removes many of those restrictions.
One big difference in Texas would have been that Houston and Dallas would be the largest cities in the country to allow open carry.
Houston will be the largest but Phoenix is the 6th largest city in the US..... Larger than Dallas or San Antonio

CJD
Posts in topic: 4

Post by CJD »

TXBO wrote:
CJD wrote:
cyphertext wrote:
harrycallahan wrote:
cyphertext wrote:
philip964 wrote: This really will be historic. At a time when our freedoms are being constricted every where you turn, Texas is going the other direction and showing the whole nation a new direction. :txflag:
How is this a new direction when 40 some odd other states already allow some fashion of open carry with a handgun?
Because my friend, what we almost had and should have had, would have been the diamond standard of Open Carry. Texas already has that in the Concealed Handgun program. Yes, we all want a bit more, some may come across the wrong way, but in the end I know of no better group of people than those of the Texas CHL program. The many that came before us all, put together a model program. Add to that, had OC passed with as few conditions as it had, well, there wouldn't be another state that could have touched it. Yes it would have been licensed open carry, but before you say anything about that, go take a look at those so called constitutional states and read their laws and after that read HB 910 and make your own conclusions.

You have 14 states that have licensed OC... Ours is very similar to our neighbors to the north... there is nothing new here. I also lived in a constitutional open carry state. There are a few restrictions, but it is also unlicensed, so a bit of a trade off... Their concealed carry license however removes many of those restrictions.
One big difference in Texas would have been that Houston and Dallas would be the largest cities in the country to allow open carry.
Houston will be the largest but Phoenix is the 6th largest city in the US..... Larger than Dallas or San Antonio
The Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX Metropolitan Statistical Area is the 4th largest in the country. I think they may have used this for size rankings.

XinTX
Posts in topic: 6

Post by XinTX »

And it looks like our old buddy Strauss has filed to seek the Speakers position yet again.
http://www.texastribune.org/2015/06/03/ ... -election/

I really wish there were a way to stop this guy.
“Public safety is always the first cry of the tyrant.” - Lord Gladstone

LDB415
Posts in topic: 4

Post by LDB415 »

We really need term limits.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

joe817
Posts in topic: 8

Post by joe817 »

LDB415 wrote:We really need term limits.
At LEAST for Speaker of the House. :biggrinjester:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

XinTX wrote:And it looks like our old buddy Strauss has filed to seek the Speakers position yet again.
http://www.texastribune.org/2015/06/03/ ... -election/

I really wish there were a way to stop this guy.

already????
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

tlt

Post by tlt »

It isn't over until it's over. Got a robo call to participate in a survey about open carry in Texas. There was some woman leading it (against) and some guy play the role of "for). I participated in the discussion up until the point they let a lawyer get on and they asked the obvious question, who was running the poll (poll questions were asked throughout) what organization did they represent and for what purpose. She refused to answer the question and disconnected him and said "moving on" because he didn't fit the MAG agenda.. That's who I suspect it was, no proof.

There were recording it, so most likely looking for an idiot to say something stupid, that they can play to death.

Just be aware stuff like this is going on, today!!

tlt

Post by tlt »

LDB415 wrote:We really need term limits.
In Washington as well!!!

RedRaiderCHL

Re: 2015 Bill Status Report

Post by RedRaiderCHL »

Charlies.Contingency wrote:
DUST FOOT wrote:I really hope the TSRA gets behind one of these open carry bills and for the reasons of making it easier for law makers to get on board, taking the wind out of the OC show boaters sails, and common sense I would like to see any open carry bill have these amendments.
1: no openly carried firearm larger than .45 cal unless on your own property, hunting, or any other shooting activity. There is just no need to walk around with a S&W 500 hand cannon strapped to your leg for self defense.
2: no more than one openly carried handgun at a time on your person. We don't need people walking around like Hoot Gibson with 2 six shooters on their hips.
3:can carry no more than one extra clip or speed loader on your person while open carrying in the general public. we don't need people walking around with bullet belts across their chest just trying to show off or looking like the Lone Ranger

I would even be OK with having to openly display your state issued handgun license if you open carry a handgun ( on a lanyard around your neck, clipped on your pocket, or someway like that ) so that any person or LEO can see that you have passed a state and federal background check, been finger printed, and have met all other state requirements.

I know that I will get hammered on pretty hard about this, but I am not against anybody's freedoms it is just that open carry is my biggest wish from law makers in 2015 and I feel that these amendments could make it an easier pill to swallow for the ones that are still on the fence about open carry. We can always tweek the law later let's just get open carry passed first. This is the first time I have ever posted my opinion on this forum so please go easy but let the hammering begin. :smash: :smash:

Robert M.
No, no, and no. I disagree at least strongly to your opinions on the topic.

1. I can see where you're going with this, but we no little restrictions lead to big restrictions. Have you ever seen a bear? Have you ever seen a bear in Texas? I have, and I am very obliged to carry somethin larger than a .45auto next time I see one. (West Texas) This could lead to politics having the deciding choice on what firearms are legal to carry by caliber. Keep it like a CHL, it's our choice.

2. This can be bad depending on how it gets put in law. For security officers, they are limited to one open carry firearm on them. No backup pocket pistol in case there is a weapon failure. It's our choice whether or not we want to be prepared. If you want to open carry a handgun by itself, that's your CHOICE, just like it is your CHOICE, to open carry. We're about having a CHOICE here.

3. Now that is biased from somewhere deep. Next I'm sure to hear is a magazine Capacity limit for open carry, because there's no need for more than 10 "high power military grade killing bullets" per magazine. The standard mag pouches are two mag anyway. Who cares how many bullets I have? I DO! I don't need anybody telling me how many mags I can have, or how many bullets I can have in each mag, or what bullets I'm restricted to for open carry. If I want to carry To spare fifteen round mags of 175gr Hornady Critical Duty .40 S&W on my left hip, who's the extra mag going to offend?

I tried to be as nice as possible, and I am sorry if at any point I was offensive, but your commen truely came out like a left wing anti-gunner. I will not hold it against you in the future, as you may have just been expressing your thoughts and concerns at the time. I hope you understand my point of view. Restrictions aren't always bad, but they open the door for more restrictive laws. It they can't take away our rights in one bite, they'll take them away one nibble at a time until they're gone.

I agree.. restrictions aren't always bad. But the wrong ones can be. The people of Texas are making this way more complicated than it has to be, and the law hasn't even taken effect yet. I have been open carrying for years in Oklahoma and Missouri with no issues. Yea you run into an anti-gun pansy from time to time who tries to school you on the law. But hell, you simply and kindly put them in their place by showing them that you know the law better than they do and go about your business. As for the people who are uneasy around open carriers, I believe strongly that the more kind, enthusiastic, and outgoing individuals they talk to while they are open carrying will curve that stigma. Its not the gun people are afraid of, its the person that's carrying it. If you say "hi" and strike up a conversation with that uneasy person and show them you mean no harm you may very well change their minds. Ive seen it happen in Oklahoma and Missouri and I know ill see it happen here in the great state of Texas! God Bless
Know guns, know peace and safety. No guns, no peace nor safety.

Charlies.Contingency
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Charlies.Contingency »

RedRaiderCHL wrote:
DUST FOOT wrote:I really hope the TSRA gets behind one of these open carry bills and for the reasons of making it easier for law makers to get on board, taking the wind out of the OC show boaters sails, and common sense I would like to see any open carry bill have these amendments.
1: no openly carried firearm larger than .45 cal unless on your own property, hunting, or any other shooting activity. There is just no need to walk around with a S&W 500 hand cannon strapped to your leg for self defense.
2: no more than one openly carried handgun at a time on your person. We don't need people walking around like Hoot Gibson with 2 six shooters on their hips.
3:can carry no more than one extra clip or speed loader on your person while open carrying in the general public. we don't need people walking around with bullet belts across their chest just trying to show off or looking like the Lone Ranger

I would even be OK with having to openly display your state issued handgun license if you open carry a handgun ( on a lanyard around your neck, clipped on your pocket, or someway like that ) so that any person or LEO can see that you have passed a state and federal background check, been finger printed, and have met all other state requirements.

I know that I will get hammered on pretty hard about this, but I am not against anybody's freedoms it is just that open carry is my biggest wish from law makers in 2015 and I feel that these amendments could make it an easier pill to swallow for the ones that are still on the fence about open carry. We can always tweek the law later let's just get open carry passed first. This is the first time I have ever posted my opinion on this forum so please go easy but let the hammering begin. :smash: :smash:

Robert M.

1. I can see where you're going with this, but we no little restrictions lead to big restrictions. Have you ever seen a bear? Have you ever seen a bear in Texas? I have, and I am very obliged to carry somethin larger than a .45auto next time I see one. (West Texas) This could lead to politics having the deciding choice on what firearms are legal to carry by caliber. Keep it like a CHL, it's our choice.

2. This can be bad depending on how it gets put in law. For security officers, they are limited to one open carry firearm on them. No backup pocket pistol in case there is a weapon failure. It's our choice whether or not we want to be prepared. If you want to open carry a handgun by itself, that's your CHOICE, just like it is your CHOICE, to open carry. We're about having a CHOICE here.

3. Now that is biased from somewhere deep. Next I'm sure to hear is a magazine Capacity limit for open carry, because there's no need for more than 10 "high power military grade killing bullets" per magazine. The standard mag pouches are two mag anyway. Who cares how many bullets I have? I DO! I don't need anybody telling me how many mags I can have, or how many bullets I can have in each mag, or what bullets I'm restricted to for open carry. If I want to carry To spare fifteen round mags of 175gr Hornady Critical Duty .40 S&W on my left hip, who's the extra mag going to offend?

I tried to be as nice as possible, and I am sorry if at any point I was offensive, but your commen truely came out like a left wing anti-gunner. I will not hold it against you in the future, as you may have just been expressing your thoughts and concerns at the time. I hope you understand my point of view. Restrictions aren't always bad, but they open the door for more restrictive laws. It they can't take away our rights in one bite, they'll take them away one nibble at a time until they're gone.

I agree.. restrictions aren't always bad. But the wrong ones can be. The people of Texas are making this way more complicated than it has to be, and the law hasn't even taken effect yet. I have been open carrying for years in Oklahoma and Missouri with no issues. Yea you run into an anti-gun pansy from time to time who tries to school you on the law. But heck, you simply and kindly put them in their place by showing them that you know the law better than they do and go about your business. As for the people who are uneasy around open carriers, I believe strongly that the more kind, enthusiastic, and outgoing individuals they talk to while they are open carrying will curve that stigma. Its not the gun people are afraid of, its the person that's carrying it. If you say "hi" and strike up a conversation with that uneasy person and show them you mean no harm you may very well change their minds. Ive seen it happen in Oklahoma and Missouri and I know ill see it happen here in the great state of Texas! God Bless
Way to resurrect a thread from the dead!

I agree with the statement in blue, except for the "putting them in their place" part. I am all for re-educating people, but I think you have the same mindset when you say "kindly." and by your other comments. It is very important that our image to the public view not be that of obnoxious OCT people, but as well educated, responsible, gun owners. I know I get that image crap from working law enforcement, but it's a similar concept. A persons one experience with a certain "group" or "click" of people will leave them with a prejudice of the rest of that group. Just like when you think cop, biker, hippie, soldier, sailor, athlete, etc. I'd like to leave everybody I run into with a good impression about the rest of you guys here. :cheers2:

And to the comment in Green, :thumbs2:

Are you a native Texan, or transplant if you don't mind my intruding, since you comment about Oklahoma and Missouri.
Sent from Iphone: Please IGNORE any grammatical or spelling errors.
ALL of my statements are to be considered opinionated and not factual.

RedRaiderCHL

Post by RedRaiderCHL »

RedRaiderCHL wrote:

Robert M.

I agree.. restrictions aren't always bad. But the wrong ones can be. The people of Texas are making this way more complicated than it has to be, and the law hasn't even taken effect yet. I have been open carrying for years in Oklahoma and Missouri with no issues. Yea you run into an anti-gun pansy from time to time who tries to school you on the law. But heck, you simply and kindly put them in their place by showing them that you know the law better than they do and go about your business. As for the people who are uneasy around open carriers, I believe strongly that the more kind, enthusiastic, and outgoing individuals they talk to while they are open carrying will curve that stigma. Its not the gun people are afraid of, its the person that's carrying it. If you say "hi" and strike up a conversation with that uneasy person and show them you mean no harm you may very well change their minds. Ive seen it happen in Oklahoma and Missouri and I know ill see it happen here in the great state of Texas! God Bless
Way to resurrect a thread from the dead!

I agree with the statement in blue, except for the "putting them in their place" part. I am all for re-educating people, but I think you have the same mindset when you say "kindly." and by your other comments. It is very important that our image to the public view not be that of obnoxious OCT people, but as well educated, responsible, gun owners. I know I get that image crap from working law enforcement, but it's a similar concept. A persons one experience with a certain "group" or "click" of people will leave them with a prejudice of the rest of that group. Just like when you think cop, biker, hippie, soldier, sailor, athlete, etc. I'd like to leave everybody I run into with a good impression about the rest of you guys here. :cheers2:

And to the comment in Green, :thumbs2:

Are you a native Texan, or transplant if you don't mind my intruding, since you comment about Oklahoma and Missouri.

I grew up an Army kid.. while living in Texas I would often commute to MO to visit family who were still in the military. Hence the carrying through those states. Yea.. that statement was meant in the nicest way.. because by showing them that you in fact know the law better than they do in the kindest and most friendly way possible you actually put them in their place of trying to school you. Kind of like a smart butt kid trying to outsmart his teacher.. sure every once in a while the teacher will be wrong (because he/she is human) but most of the time the kid knows nothing and is out of line and just trying to look cool (or in this case push a political agenda of being against guns/OC)
Know guns, know peace and safety. No guns, no peace nor safety.

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”