senator creighton needs the facts

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
paxton25
Posts in topic: 2

senator creighton needs the facts

Post by paxton25 »

Creighton, made an incredibly ignorant statement on constitutional carry.

"Not every conservative lawmaker supports the idea of open carry without a permit, however. Newly elected Sen. Brandon Creighton, long a legislative leader on pro-gun bills, said some worry that permitless open carry would conflict with reciprocity agreements Texas has penned with other states to recognize each other’s gun laws.

“If we pass constitutional carry and in some way, in doing so, invalidated all the licensure we already have for CHLs (concealed handgun licenses), I think some Texans would be disappointed in that because so many other states honor our licensure,” said the outgoing member from Conroe. “But I’m a definite on open carry.”

http://m.news-journal.com/mobile/news/s ... e5b46.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It seems to me that Arizona has very good reciprocity with other states even after passing constitutional carry. Creighton is my state senator and I will be having a word with him for sure.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Re: senator creighton needs the facts

Post by Keith B »

paxton25 wrote:Creighton, made an incredibly ignorant statement on constitutional carry.

"Not every conservative lawmaker supports the idea of open carry without a permit, however. Newly elected Sen. Brandon Creighton, long a legislative leader on pro-gun bills, said some worry that permitless open carry would conflict with reciprocity agreements Texas has penned with other states to recognize each other’s gun laws.

“If we pass constitutional carry and in some way, in doing so, invalidated all the licensure we already have for CHLs (concealed handgun licenses), I think some Texans would be disappointed in that because so many other states honor our licensure,” said the outgoing member from Conroe. “But I’m a definite on open carry.”

http://m.news-journal.com/mobile/news/s ... e5b46.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It seems to me that Arizona has very good reciprocity with other states even after passing constitutional carry. Creighton is my state senator and I will be having a word with him for sure.
An Arizona resident can carry legally in their state without a license, but if they come to any other state that requires a license, then they must have an Arizona concealed carry license that has reciprocity with that state.

I think he may be stating that we need to be cautious about how the law on constitutional carry would be worded, and we do not want it to cause Texas to no have a concealed carry license so you have the capability of carrying in other states we currently have reciprocity with.

I would suggest if you do have a conversation with him you need to get clarification on his statement so you know where he really stands on open carry.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
paxton25
Posts in topic: 2

Post by paxton25 »

Of course they have to have a CHL, that's the whole point. Arizona CHL has reciprocity with a large amount of other states, I think right around the same as Texas has with no issue because of constitutional carry. Creighton is saying that if permitless carry (constitutional carry) passes it may hurt reciprocity which is bull. Already contacted his office, waiting to hear back if ever. He has ignored a lot of people from before and during the runoff election who asked him to clarify where he stands.
Keith B wrote:
paxton25 wrote:Creighton, made an incredibly ignorant statement on constitutional carry.

An Arizona resident can carry legally in their state without a license, but if they come to any other state that requires a license, then they must have an Arizona concealed carry license that has reciprocity with that state.

I think he may be stating that we need to be cautious about how the law on constitutional carry would be worded, and we do not want it to cause Texas to no have a concealed carry license so you have the capability of carrying in other states we currently have reciprocity with.

I would suggest if you do have a conversation with him you need to get clarification on his statement so you know where he really stands on open carry.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

It is worth pointing out that Texas does not have reciprocity with Vermont — another Constitutional Carry state — because Vermont doesn't even offer a CHL.

I assume that passage of HB195 (Constitutional Carry) does not vacate CHL, it merely makes it unnecessary inside of Texas.....unless you want to continue having a CHL for reciprocity purposes.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

poppo

Post by poppo »

paxton25 wrote:Creighton is saying that if permitless carry (constitutional carry) passes it may hurt reciprocity which is bull.
As others have stated, I think you may be reading it wrong. He would be correct IF somehow CHL went away with "constitutional carry". As long as CHL stays, then it's not a problem. But before you call "bull", you need to get clarification.
USMC Retired - DAV Life Member - VFW Life Member - NRA Life Member

Thomas Hagemeier

Post by Thomas Hagemeier »

Remember, complaining in a forums changes nothing. Take action.

Website: http://brandoncreighton.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Twitter: @CreightonForTx
Email: brandon.creighton@senate.state.tx.us
Phone: 936-539-0028
Believer in God, happily married,
Love dogs, patriot, Lifetime NRA,
And Keyboard Rambo

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Xikar wrote:Remember, complaining in a forums changes nothing. Take action.

Website: http://brandoncreighton.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Twitter: @CreightonForTx
Email: brandon.creighton@senate.state.tx.us
Phone: 936-539-0028
The purpose of the Forum is to provide information and to discuss issues. There is also no reason to do anything now

Chas.

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”