Church Safety Teams

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Dad24GreatKids
Posts in topic: 2

Church Safety Teams

Post by Dad24GreatKids »

Will there be a bill introduced this session that allows a CHL to carry while participating on a church safety team? If so, what are the chances of passing?
Dad24GreatKids
NRA Life member
TSRA

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Re: Church Safety Teams

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Dad24GreatKids wrote:Will there be a bill introduced this session that allows a CHL to carry while participating on a church safety team? If so, what are the chances of passing?
Unless something blows up, a church bill will be filed. It's chances will depend on who is Chair of House Homeland Security & Public Safety Committee. Industry will oppose it again, but their lobbyist may be a bit reluctant to outright lie, since he got caught doing so law session.

Chas.

Bladed

Post by Bladed »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Dad24GreatKids wrote:Will there be a bill introduced this session that allows a CHL to carry while participating on a church safety team? If so, what are the chances of passing?
Unless something blows up, a church bill will be filed. It's chances will depend on who is Chair of House Homeland Security & Public Safety Committee. Industry will oppose it again, but their lobbyist may be a bit reluctant to outright lie, since he got caught doing so law session.

Chas.
How did they lie? I must have missed this story.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Bladed wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Chas.
How did they lie? I must have missed this story.
See my post below on the same subject.
Chas.
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
TresHuevos wrote:
gugisman wrote:I wish it was so simple. The problem is when you start making active shooter/bomber response plans, designating armed individuals to sit in certain areas, develop crowd control commands, and so on.

The law needs to be changed. A private industry must not be allowed to influence our legislators to pass laws that restrict freedom of worship, which by regulating volunteer security teams, it does.

This law is also being used to restrict volunteer armed teams from providing security on privately owned lands on or near the Mexican border.

Please join me when it becomes time to testify in support of the amended bill, sometime in 2015.
I'm curious what proof you have that the contract security industry is doing any type of lobbying on this matter. I work in this field and I know of no position either for or against. The company that I work for wouldn't take a contract at a church, it's just not the type of business that we do.
Unfortunately, the legislative website doesn't have the witness list posted for the public hearing testimony on HB2535 on April 11, 2013, during the 2013 legislative session. However, you can watch the video of the public hearing and you will hear the testimony of security industry lobbyist, Allen Trevino of ASSIST. His testimony begins at 2:06:29. He testified against the bill and even falsely stated that the bill wasn't necessary because churches can already do what the Bill would allow. Then DPS Capt. RenEarl Bowie was called to testify as a resource witness and he refuted what the industry lobbyist has just stated.

Chas.

Bladed

Post by Bladed »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Unfortunately, the legislative website doesn't have the witness list posted for the public hearing testimony on HB2535 on April 11, 2013, during the 2013 legislative session. However, you can watch the video of the public hearing and you will hear the testimony of security industry lobbyist, Allen Trevino of ASSIST. His testimony begins at 2:06:29. He testified against the bill and even falsely stated that the bill wasn't necessary because churches can already do what the Bill would allow. Then DPS Capt. RenEarl Bowie was called to testify as a resource witness and he refuted what the industry lobbyist has just stated.

Chas.
Thanks.

Topic author
Dad24GreatKids

Post by Dad24GreatKids »

I listened to the testimony. I am surprised that no one pointed out that the DPS website explicitly addresses this question and states that volunteers cannot be armed. Even the DPS representative didn't do that.
Dad24GreatKids
NRA Life member
TSRA

jmra
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jmra »

Dad24GreatKids wrote:I listened to the testimony. I am surprised that no one pointed out that the DPS website explicitly addresses this question and states that volunteers cannot be armed. Even the DPS representative didn't do that.
Maybe because there is so much inaccurate information on the website. It still states that churches are off limits for concealed carry.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”